Upcoming paper on the Iranian Neolithic

I don't think it's that simple. I don't think Samarra->Ubaid->Uruk was a continuous EEF population speaking a Natufian language. The Ganj Dareh sample is hinting at this.

This would explain both the unclear origins of Sumerian Civilization and the "unclassified" language.

the farmers coming from the Samarra area probably had a high Natufian content
but Summerians were supposed to be a mixture of these farmers with local fisher/hunters from the lagoons and with local herders

I guess the Ganj Dareh sample is more representative for the later Elamites
If I recall well goat herders combining with pulse gathering were allready at Ganj Dareh before cereal farming was introduced around 10.3 ka

anyway we are talking about an area of which no DNA has been published uptill now
I hope this paper will be published soon

Is it really surprising? The Vedas are IE too and I'm sure modern Brahmans look nothing like, say for example Andronovo samples. In fact it looks like the abstract says that Brahmans may very well resemble these Neolithic samples as well. It's doesn't change that the Avestan and Rig Veda were written in IE. There's many non-IE loanwords in Indo-Iranian as well which were no doubt taken from whatever it was that BMAC people spoke. Probably Elamite or something related.

Remember Indo-Iranians were a foreign superimposition, and almost certainly a minority in the region. It's no surprise that Iranian speakers of today might still resemble neolithic samples. It's not like in Europe where you had a ton of WHG and EHG all around. And there's actually still parts of IE speaking Europe that are mostly EEF.

I red the I-Ean period in India was less "racist" (Oh! I speak now as Goga) than subsequent India (castes system later): reports of non-I-Ean names of people incorporated in the administrative I-Ean system and non-I-Ean divinities the same way. By the way it could explain the discrepancy in current India (in some cses, not in all) concerning languages, castes and DNA...

This thread has been viewed 31708 times.

Back