Reaction score
Ethnic group
Herzegovinan Croat
Y-DNA haplogroup
I2a1b – Dinaric
mtDNA haplogroup
H1
Link to study

I know this has been discussed many times but I saw this study from 2009 and have some things to say. There is a correlation, but they say that any similarities between two individuals with the same Y/mtDNA haplogroup does not prove that it is a result of those chromosomes.

I have said earlier that men with Haplogroup I are often of above average height (i.e. Balkans/South Slavs, southern Swedes/Norwegians, western Finns, northern Dutchmen). On the site The Apricity (a large part of which is pseudoscience obsessed with classification, I understand), they did a poll of men with Haplogroup I on how tall they are. I think that because male height is largely determined by the Y chromosome, there is a causal relationship here.

There are traits that I see commonly in men of populations with high amounts of both haplogroups I and J like prominent noses, strong supraorbital ridge, proportionally longer legs, unique face shape, etc. but there is no way of knowing yet if this is from the Y chromosome. I do believe that head shape for one is completely autosomal. We already know that hair color is if not completely then highly influenced by the autosomes because of genes associated with hair color.

I would appreciate any other opinions on the topic.

Could you check what Y and mt DNA code for?

Dinarid, a lot of Sardinian men are yDna "I", and they're extremely short. Trust me on this, I see them all the time. Some researchers blame it on the "island" effect, but I'm sure it's more complicated than that.

Polls on internet sites are not a scientific sample.

There's quite a bit of research on height, but very few conclusions, because it's impacted by diet as well as heredity. As just one example, the average height of British people has gone way up since the 19th century, as has that of immigrants to the US compared to their ancestors in Europe. A better diet is usually considered a factor.

Dinarid, a lot of Sardinian men are yDna "I", and they're extremely short. Trust me on this, I see them all the time. Some researchers blame it on the "island" effect, but I'm sure it's more complicated than that.

Polls on internet sites are not a scientific sample.

There's quite a bit of research on height, but very few conclusions, because it's impacted by diet as well as heredity. As just one example, the average height of British people has gone way up since the 19th century, as has that of immigrants to the US compared to their ancestors in Europe. A better diet is usually considered a factor.

I have heard of the Sardinian issue, and I agree that this puts a dent in the theory. However Sardinia also has high frequencies of Haplogroup G especially in inland areas, where the men are probably very short and skew the sample. And I don't think diet matters as much as some of you do. I think only severe malnutrition negatively affects height. As long as a population has a good nutritional intake, it is likely to be good in terms of height. Among groups that consume more dairy for example, the Dutch are quite tall, but the Greeks and Swiss are not. Also in the Balkans people weren't that much shorter during the Jugoslav period when food was in smaller supply. In Herzegovina there is less wealth than the rest of the country and the rural population in many areas is quite poor, yet the men are on average 186 cm. I think much of the increase in height is due to DNA + evolution.

There was also a study of craniofacial variation and mtDNA haplogroups in women of the Chad Basin, which showed that women with East African mtDNA haplogroups have longer faces than females with West African mtDNA haplogroups, and this difference is not seen in males.

It happens to be that I live in Groningen, with the tallest people of the world, the average Dutchmen is 1.84m and the average Groninger is 1.86 m (I contribute a little bit to keep the average high with 1.94m ;)

Probably due to a combination of:
- Genes (for example in a small country like the Netherlands south of the Rhine the gene pool is different and the people are smaller)
- Good circumstances, welfare, good food (high milk consumption for example)
- Natural selection, preference for tallness.
See:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/08/scientists-try-to-answer-why-dutch-people-are-so-tall

Sent from my iPad using Eupedia Forum

This thread has been viewed 4289 times.

Back