Haplogroup G1 (M285)

MaxCRO

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Croat
Is there any available information about this particular subclade ?

I could only gather it is common in Iran an among Jewish, being rather absent in Europe. I seem to have a close cousin with this particular Hg, and interested about it's origin.

Thanks in advance, for any meaningful info.

G1 is probably a (geographically) Eastern European or Central Asian version of G. G2 is probably more of a Western mutation/divergence.

From my perspective, G1 it is mostly Indo-Iranian or Indo-Aryan (if IE) and Caucasian (non-IE). It is also found among the non-IE and non-Caucasian Burushaski peoples; as a minor haplogroup.

I have no sources; but I remember reading somewhere that Scythians and Persians carried it as a sub-minor haplogroup. (but R1a was the majority). It is also found in Alanians (an Indo-Iranian tribe); which may be the reason or source of it being spread in Europe and Western Europe. (G1 is found rarely in Europe, and G2a is more abundant. Perhaps it could be both archaic (Neolithic) and later simultaneously Indo-European; brought by Alans.)

I could only gather it is common in Iran an among Jewish, being rather absent in Europe. I seem to have a close cousin with this particular Hg, and interested about it's origin.
The highest concentrations would have been found in Kazakhstan, among the Madjars (86,7%) from Torgay area and, according to a limited study, the Argyns (abt. 80%). "The Argyns, who were previously known as the Basmyl, were first documented in the 6th century, residing in what is now the Xinjiang region of China." (Wiki)
On the other hand, the highest diversities of G1 must be in Iran and Eastern Turkey.

Greetings, i am G1 L1324. I plot over 99.8% NW european on 23andme. Shouldnt i show up more eastern or Iran?

This thread has been viewed 4081 times.

Back