Gilson surname.

Dutch Michael Gilson

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Belgian
Is the Gilson surname Germanic? My ancestors came from Belgium(Hainaut). I have read that the Walloons were of Germanic descent. Also I have read that the name originated in Normandy (land of the Northmen)(Germanic). If anyone has any information to share I would greatly appreciate it.

Hello there Gilson, welcome to Eupedia. I'm afraid I cannot really tell you your surname's ancient origin because surnames were first created in the Middle Ages; also your direct ancestors may have assimilated or born out of cheating before paternity tests were invented. However only your Ydna can tell you the answer to your question. :)

https://www.houseofnames.com/Gilson-family-crest/Dutch

Gilson is a surname found all over French speaking Belgium and in France along the Belgian border. I have also wondered if the -son ending in Walloon surnames had anything to do with the Germanic -son or not, as it only shows up in a handful of surnames (Gilson is the most common among them).

What's important is what DNA you inherited, not your name. As Twilight explained, even a Germanic name may not mean that your patrilineal ancestors were of Germanic origin (and anyway that's only your Y chromosome not your whole genome). The best way to know is to take a DNA test. If you are new to this, I suggest you start with this FAQ and perhaps also watch those more general video tutorials.

This thread has been viewed 4009 times.

Back