Server move: forum will be closed for a few hours

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Dear valued members,

I would like to inform you that Eupedia will migrate to a new server later today and the forum will need to be closed for the time of the migration to prevent data loss.

I apologise for the disturbances. There has been some problems during the server move and we are back on the old server for the time being. It appears that some posts have been lost along the way. Please think of saving your posts (e.g. in Notepad) until everything is back to normal.

I have been attempting to migrate eupedia.com to a new server over the last 36 hours or so. The transition from the old to the new server does not happen instantly, nor at the same time everywhere around the world. It takes up to 24 hours for the site's DNS (IP address and server linked to the domain name) to propagate around the worldwide web. Some regions will see the new server, while others are still on the old one. The problem is new posts are being divided between the two servers, so when the new one becomes active everywhere, posts on the old server disappear. I had closed the forums to prevent that happening, but I noticed that moderators were able to post on the forum when it should have been closed.

Furthermore, the new server was not properly configured by the new hosting company, which caused the headers, footers and CSS style sheets to stop working outside the forum. I had to wait 20 hours for staff to reply to my support ticket and start addressing the issue. As I couldn't let the whole site in that condition without knowing when it would be fixed, I reverted back the DNS to the old server until they found a solution.

I can see the new posts in my PC but not in my phone.

So, for the moment we are on the old server untill a new attempt will be made to move to the new one?
Will we get a notice when this 2nd attampt starts?

I know, these situations can be nerve-wrecking. Good luck.

Yes, I will notify you before the second attempt. Last time, the hosting company was supposed to take care of it, and I asked them to tell me before they initiated the move so that I could close the forums in time, but they didn't. This time I told them I would be transferring the data myself.

The issues on the new server seem to have been solved. I will now close the forum and initiate the migration.

At long last the forum is now re-opened. Normally the DNS should have propagated in most of the world by now. This DNS checker says that Vancouver, Canada and Queensland in Australia still use the old DNS, so if you are from these areas, please wait a few more hours or save your posts in Notepad.

At long last the forum is now re-opened. Normally the DNS should have propagated in most of the world by now. This DNS checker says that Vancouver, Canada and Queensland in Australia still use the old DNS, so if you are from these areas, please wait a few more hours or save your posts in Notepad.

Thanks for the effort Maciamo! Functions well!

Sent from my iPad using Eupedia Forum

As of today ..............the only avater showing is that of Maciano............nobody else, not even famous peoples.

Also, the "reply with quote" block is merged "quick reply" making this muddled area unacceptable.

Can these bugs be fixed?

As of today ..............the only avater showing is that of Maciano............nobody else, not even famous peoples.

Also, the "reply with quote" block is merged "quick reply" making this muddled area unacceptable.

Can these bugs be fixed?

Everything is working fine here. What browser are you using?

All seems to be normal on my end.

I'm good from safari on my iphone but the html is screwy and isn't displaying right in Firefox or Edge.

Everything is working fine here. What browser are you using?

I have always used firefox.................it works fine in every other forum or application I use apart from Eupedia

the forum on the new server works for me with internet explorer, but it does not work with my favourite browser google chrome
can this be fixed?

Yesterday eupedia didn't work. Today it works just fine on Microsoft Edge...

Works for me now, I'm good.

Still not working correctly with Firefox ...............although Goga avatar with Maciano are now the only ones that appear ...............all other problems I mentioned in previous post still exist.

Still not working correctly with Firefox ...............although Goga avatar with Maciano are now the only ones that appear ...............all other problems I mentioned in previous post still exist.

Please try with Chrome to see if it changes anything. You seem to be the only one with this issue.

Maciamo, in both Chrome and Firefox, it says unsafe script, and I have to click load unsafe script to log on.

This thread has been viewed 30109 times.

Back