Children of older fathers have less evolutionary fitness

It was a byword in Europe that the children of the aristocracy were more "delicate". Well, now we know some of the reasons why. No wonder some of these aristocratic trees show evidence of some hanky-panky. Some of these old ***** either couldn't procreate at all, or the children were sickly, and in a pre-modern society, died. If your status depends on providing a healthy male heir, I can see why some women turned elsewhere.

There must be other reasons since traditionally aristocrats started having children at a younger age than peasants, at least in Britain where this is well documented. Matt Ridley explained in his book The Red Queen that medieval peasant men really lucky to marry before middle age, as they didn't have enough money to support a family before that. Rich people in contrast started having children from their late teens (for girls) to early twenties (for men) because they could afford it and their families were often anxious to produce heirs quickly.

Sorry, but it is simply not possible than over 50% of de novo mutations are highly deleterious. As you mentioned above, on average, humans acquire ~74 de novo single nucleotide variants (SNVs) per genome per generation. That would mean that every individual has over 37 highly deleterious mutations, in addition to those inherited from each parent. To keep it simple, let's say even 35 highly deleterious mutations, which would be an underestimation (under 50%) according to what Kimura-san claims. A person would therefore be born with 35 de novo highly deleterious mutations but inherited about 35 highly deleterious mutations from his/her parents (half of each parent's 35 mutations but x2 as they are 2 parents). By that logic, each generation would ineluctably add 35 highly deleterious mutations to the germ line. It quickly rises to the thousands of highly deleterious mutations per individual. Mildly deleterious mutation can cause poor vision, allergies, low intelligence, frequent colds, and so on. Highly deleterious mutations are things that can cause foetuses to self-abort to people to be born with severe genetic conditions like cystic fibrosis or Huntington's disease, which lead to deaths at a relatively young age. It just doesn't make any sense to say that all people are born with thousands of highly deleterious mutations, including at least 35 de novo ones. That would be the end of the species.

Anyway, anyone who has studied biology should know that statistically most mutations are synonymous because of the high redundancy in the way amino acids are encoded by DNA (or actually RNA during translation). To illustrate for non biologists, here is a table of RNA translation to amino acids. This is the way our genome encodes proteins. Each amino acid is encoded by a three genetic bases (A, C, G or T in DNA, which become U, G, C or A after transcription to RNA). For example, if you want to produce Methionine, the amino acid that signal the beginning any protein sequence, you will need the RNA sequence AUG. If a mutation occurs in any of these three 'letters', it won't produce Methionine by another amino acid (e.g. Isoleucine if the final G becomes an A), and the protein won't be made. This would be an example of deleterious mutation, as the body cannot produce one type of protein. In most cases this is bad enough to guarantee the non-viability of the foetus.

However, as you can see on the table below, other amino acids can be encoded by any of 2, 3, 4 or even 6 different sequences in the case of Leucine. So if a mutation occurs in a CUA sequence for Leucine, chances are that the resulting protein will still be Leucine. Change the C into a U or an A and you still get Leucine. Change the final A into a C, G or U, and you still get Leucine. A mutation in the central U would result in a different amino acid. But even so, a mutation from U to C would give Proline, which is another hydrophobic amino acid with similar properties that is unlikely to cause major disruptions to the protein structure. So the only cases in which a mutation would be highly deleterious here is if the CUA sequences becomes CCA (Glycine) or CGA (Arginine), as they would turn a hydrophobic amino acid into a hydrophilic or a positively charged one. In this case, out of 9 possible mutations (3 for each letter), 7 are neutral and only 2 are deleterious. Considering that amino acids with similar properties (e.g. hydrophobic) have similar sequences, the chances of mutations changing those properties are not that high.

dnaSequencingStructure6.jpg

Any change that tempers with an initial Methionine or results in a stop codon (UAA, UGA or UAG) would be particularly deleterious. You can see here a few examples of highly deleterious mutations.

Notable_mutations.svg

I haven't calculated all the possibilities of mutations for each amino acid, nor applied those results to the percentage of each sequence present in the human genome. That is the kind of humongous calculation that should be left to computers. But at first sight it looks like over half of mutations would be silent. More than mutations, it is deletions and insertions that tend to cause major problems, as they cause frameshift mutations, potentially altering whole genes.

Furthermore, proteins are only encoded by our exome (coding DNA), which represents a mere 1% of the total genome. Any mutation that occurs in the 99% of non-coding DNA would in all likelihood have no effect whatsoever on fitness or phenotype. That is what we observe in Y-DNA mutations. Over 15,000 Y-DNA mutations have been identified at present, but only a tiny minority of them seem to have been selected by evolution because they benefited the carriers.

According to the papers I've read, including the ones to which I linked above, the average number of de novo mutations per person is about 71, certainly not thousands or even hundreds. Also, the papers seem to include deletions and insertions within the broad category of mutations. Nor, as I mentioned above, are most "mutations" immediately lethal. In fact, most are mildly deleterious.

To say that beneficial mutations are rare is not to say that they aren't important to evolution. Lactase persistence is a prime example. Also, beneficial or deleterious is determined in evolutionary terms by the environment. The question is, are the changes deleterious or beneficial in terms of fitness for the environment.

You might want to take a look at some of the newer papers using whole genomes that deal not just in theory but in the actual determination of how many de novo "changes" are beneficial versus deleterious.

As to the breeding patterns of the aristocracy and royalty, I agree that old and powerful rulers having access to a lot of women (obviously not just their wives, but also their mistresses, official and otherwise) is only one factor affecting the "fitness" of their children. Even in terms of that one factor, yes, someone entering the guild would not be able to marry young. Would that apply to serfs living on the manor, or was it like the situation on slave plantations, where more children equaled more farm hands? Of course, other factors were also involved. Breeding too young is just as problematical, especially for women. There's also the fact that they were all too inbred. It was a veritable perfect storm for eventual unfitness.

According to the papers I've read, including the ones to which I linked above, the average number of de novo mutations per person is about 71, certainly not thousands or even hundreds. Also, the papers seem to include deletions and insertions within the broad category of mutations. Nor, as I mentioned above, are most "mutations" immediately lethal. In fact, most are mildly deleterious.

I was explaining that these mutations accumulate from generation to generation. With 70 new mutations at each generation, the total quickly reaches the thousands. If most (over 50%) are highly deleterious as you wrote, then that is still thousands of deleterious mutations in all of us only since the Middle Ages, and tens of thousands since the end of the last Ice Age.

You might want to take a look at some of the newer papers using whole genomes that deal not just in theory but in the actual determination of how many de novo "changes" are beneficial versus deleterious.

Such as? The studies by Kimura and Akashi that you mentioned above were both theoretical models.

I was explaining that these mutations accumulate from generation to generation. With 70 new mutations at each generation, the total quickly reaches the thousands. If most (over 50%) are highly deleterious as you wrote, then that is still thousands of deleterious mutations in all of us only since the Middle Ages, and tens of thousands since the end of the last Ice Age.

Such as? The studies by Kimura and Akashi that you mentioned above were both theoretical models.

That specific point was based on a quote from Kimura about his theory. The remainder of the quote is referring to another theory from Akashi where the majority are either "effectively neutral" or highly deleterious. There is then a discussion of actual findings. This is the following section:

" Both theories agree that the vast majority of novel mutations are neutral or deleterious and that advantageous mutations are rare, which has been supported by experimental results. One example is a study done on the DFE of random mutations in vesicular stomatitis virus.[50] Out of all mutations, 39.6% were lethal, 31.2% were non-lethal deleterious, and 27.1% were neutral. Another example comes from a high throughput mutagenesis experiment with yeast.[55] "

I particularly like the paper where this is found because besides giving an overview of the entire topic, it cites dozens of papers on all aspects of this topic.

http://rstb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/365/1544/1153

One of the first links I provided discusses the whole genome sequencing, but addressed only some of the denovo deleterious "mutations" they found.

See:
http://massgenomics.org/2012/08/de-novo-mutations-and-human-disease.html

Angela said:
To say that beneficial mutations are rare is not to say that they aren't important to evolution. Lactase persistence is a prime example.

There are probably thousands of de novo mutations even more beneficial than lactase persistence, which have aroused recently, after the "out of Africa" migration, but it is politically incorrect to talk about them, as it might imply inequality between the races. What is especially inconvenient for people who claim that differences in outcomes between the races are caused entirely by non-genetic factors (such as "microagressions" or "institutional racism"), and who claim that evolutionary adaptation has spared the brain, is the fact that European hunters apparently developed a relatively high number of de novo mutations when compared with other populations. This was mentioned e.g. by Key et al. 2016 (quote: "Adaptive alleles - especially those associated with pigmentation - are mostly of hunter-gatherer origin"; link: http://www.nature.com/ncomms/2016/160318/ncomms10775/full/ncomms10775.html).

For some people it would be more convenient and more PC to assume that evolution stopped 100,000 ybp.

I'm not saying that racism doesn't exist and that it is not a problem that should be dealt with.

But I think that there is a lot more of racism outside of the Western World than within it. You just don't hear about this on the media (and I guess it has something to do with propaganda according to which only White people can be racist).

For example in Bolivia Spanish-speaking Mestizos who are around 80-85% genetically Amerindian (local Bolivian average) are very racist against Quechua-speakers, who are only slightly more genetically Amerindian (90-95% on average).

This just shows how ridiculous are claims by some people, that multiculturalism and increased race-mixing can help to end racism. Prevalence of race mixing has nothing to do with racism, and Latin America - one of the most racist parts of the world today - is the best example of this. Ironically in many Hispanic countries mixed-race people are the most racist ones.

This video of "microaggresions" (?) by Mestizos against Amerinds in Bolivia is very disturbing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gimwICxs_dA

More: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wj6yez66ws

And pretty much everyone in Bolivia is of the same race.

Bolivian reference populations in GEDmatch calculators:

1) HarappaWorld:

Bolivian - 90,5% Amerindian, 9% European, 0,5% African

2) MDLP K23b:

Quechua Bolivia - 99% Amerindian, 1% European, 0% African
Bolivian La Paz - 98% Amerindian, 2% European, 0% African
Bolivian Cochabamba - 93% Amerindian, 7% European, 0% African
Bolivian Pando - 91% Amerindian, 8,5% European, 0,5% African
Bolivian - 88% Amerindian, 12% European, 0% African

3) puntDNAL K10:

Bolivian1 - 97% Amerindian, 3% European, 0% African
Bolivian2 - 85% Amerindian 14% European, 1% African

Bolivian1 is probably Western Bolivian and Bolivian2 is Eastern Bolivian.

===============

People who are genetically over 50% European are practically non-existent in Bolivia.

Yet they discriminate against these who have few percent more of Amerind ancestry.

There are things that are much worse than political correctness, and one of them is the deliberate distortion of scientific facts in the service of racism.

To repeat:

" Both theories agree that the VAST MAJORITY of novel mutations are neutral or deleterious and that advantageous mutations are rare, which has been supported by experimental results. "

Anyone with any knowledge of evolution knows that it has continued in every part of the world. No human beings are clones of our African ancestors of 100,000 years ago.

I won't be debating this issue any further. It's settled science.

I'm not saying that racism doesn't exist and that it is not a problem that should be dealt with.

But I think that there is a lot more of racism outside of the Western World than within it. You just don't hear about this on the media (and I guess it has something to do with propaganda according to which only White people can be racist).

For example in Bolivia Spanish-speaking Mestizos who are around 80-85% genetically Amerindian (local Bolivian average) are very racist against Quechua-speakers, who are only slightly more genetically Amerindian (90-95% on average).

This just shows how ridiculous are claims by some people, that multiculturalism and increased race-mixing can help to end racism. Prevalence of race mixing has nothing to do with racism, and Latin America - one of the most racist parts of the world today - is the best example of this. Ironically in many Hispanic countries mixed-race people are the most racist ones.

This video of "microaggresions" (?) by Mestizos against Amerinds in Bolivia is very disturbing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gimwICxs_dA
Pointing to others being reacists, or bigger racists, won't stop you being one. If you can't deal with this issue by yourself perhaps visit psychologist. And stop using every thread as an occasion to show us "how you are not a racist".

"Racism blah, blah!"... but it is simply a fact, that "Europeans mutate differently":

http://www.unz.com/gnxp/europeans-mutate-differently/

http://biorxiv.org/content/early/2015/02/05/010314

http://biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2015/02/05/010314.full.pdf

kelleyharris.png

Citation: Recent evolution of the mutation rate and spectrum in Europeans, Kelley Harris doi: 10.1101/010314

The above figure is from a preprint, Recent evolution of the mutation rate and spectrum in Europeans, which reports very peculiar results from the 1000 Genomes data. I actually got a preview of the topline finding about a year and a half ago at a Bay Area Population Genomics meeting, but many of the details are new to me. As noted in the abstract the “private European variation is enriched for the transition 5’-TCC-3’→5’-TTC-3’.” The implication here is that different populations mutate differently. The preprint puts this in the broader context of the fact that for a while now there have been conflicts between different rates of mutation inferred from pedigree and whole genome sequencing, and phylogenetic models of divergence of species. At this point the technical details need not concern. Rather, let’s just add that the recent ancient Siberian genome paper confirmed this discrepancy, and strongly supports the contention within this preprint that the mutational rates across the ape lineages are likely to have varied, questioning the validity of an invariant molecular clock.

Frankly I trust Harris to be right about the pattern she sees here. She’s been looking at this data for a few years, so if there was any statistical artifact here I am confident either she or her advisers or colleagues would have caught it. But there are some issues with the attempt to integrate these results about differences in mutational spectrum with population history. Some of these are pointed out in the comments at bioRxiv. Aside from the simple semantic conflation of Early European Farmer (EEF) for Eastern European Farmer, the attempt to suggest that reduced enrichment in northern Europe is a function of Ancestral North Eurasian (ANE) admixture is made less persuasive by pointing to the case of Finns, who are known to have a secondary East Asian admixture which arrived from Siberia more recently. I think that this is not a problem when you see another issue “Because East Asians share a more recent common ancestor with ANE than with west Eurasians.” I do not think this is the dominant view. Rather, ANE and West Eurasians are best modeled as a distinct clade with deep common ancestry as against East Eurasians. See figure 3 of Lazaridis et al. The confusion here matters because the thesis being presented seems to be that ANE lacked the enrichment of a particular mutational class, as modern East Asians do. This is a warranted conjecture if the two formed a clade with West Eurasians as an outgroup, but this is just not the case.

Which brings us to when and why the ancestors of Europeans began to exhibit this particular mutational pattern. As it happens the results show that even without the Finnish sample there is a north-south gradient of enrichment toward the latter. This would support a model where ANE admixture resulted a decrease from an originally higher proportion. That would mean then that the change occurred probably in the interval of 20 to 30 thousand years ago, when we presume the ancestors of West Eurasians and Ancestral North Eurasians diverged. But this is not the only option. One element of EFF ancestry is Basal Eurasian, which happens to be a group which is equally distant from West Eurasians, ANE, and East Eurasians. In other words, Basal Eurasians possibly diverged from all these populations before the primary Out of Africa event ~60 thousand years ago. If the mutational spectrum deviation derives from Basal Eurasians then the gradient could be a function of reduced EEF ancestry in Europe as one goes north. Looking at the difference between the Finnish and Italian samples I do not think this is the case, the variation is too small. The EEF fraction varies a great deal in Europe. So the ANE dilution model actually does seem more plausible.

But there’s a final element to be explored.

Why is there in enrichment in the first place? It turns out that this sort of mutation is very common in melanomas. In particular of interest to me: “Folate deficiency is known to cause DNA damage including uracil misincorporation and double-strand breaks, leading in some cases to birth defects and reduced male fertility.” Folate deficiency can occur when light skinned individuals are exposed to sunlight. It strikes me that the higher mutational load for these particular transitions in Southern Europeans as opposed to Northern Europeans could simply be a function of the fact that they are in sunnier climates. We know that Europeans have become much lighter skinned very recently, so the range of mutations we are seeing may be due to very recent factors. No one knows concretely why Europeans became very light skinned very recently, but these mutations may simply be a side effect of this phenotypic change, which was driven by powerful selective forces.

Citation: Recent evolution of the mutation rate and spectrum in Europeans, Kelley Harris, http://dx.doi.org/10.1101/010314

Addendum: It would have been nice of the 1000 Genomes had at least one Middle Eastern population.

Are Europeans diverging into another species, some kind of "post-modern humans" ???

To point out the obvious: rate of mutation has nothing to do with the nature of mutations.

Could I point out a fact from the original paper at the start of this thread, namely the 3 historical populations were all in semi-isolated areas and would all be somewhat in bred. So the effects of mutations would be worse since many of the population would be carrying a higher load.
Perhaps one of the advantages of this last century is in increased mobility as well as improved medical treatments.

This thread has been viewed 30141 times.

Back