Queen Elizabeth I

LouisPhilippe

Reaction score
The demise of Emperor Ferdinand I in July 1564 had meant that an alliance of the Holy Roman Empire with England against France and Scotland seemed an attractive option. The possible idea of a marital union between Elizabeth I and Archduke Charles of Austria was brought forth.
Which foreign sovereign or English noblemen would have been the best husband for Queen Elizabeth?

The demise of Emperor Ferdinand I in July 1564 had meant that an alliance of the Holy Roman Empire with England against France and Scotland seemed an attractive option. The possible idea of a marital union between Elizabeth I and Archduke Charles of Austria was brought forth.
Which foreign sovereign or English noblemen would have been the best husband for Queen Elizabeth?

None. Given the mores of the time, any man she married would have wanted power, and would have been the focus of dissatisfaction and possible insurrection. Look at what happened to poor Mary, Queen of Scots. A foreign match would have entangled English interests with those of other countries, as happened with Mary Tudor and Philip of Spain, and a match with a nobleman would have created a deep fracture within the noble families. Plus, dangling marriage in front of foreign governments gave her a lot of maneuvering ability.

No, she was better off single, and she knew it. Of course, it meant not having chlldren, but given her childhood, I would think she would have had such a profound distrust of marriage and men, especially where power was concerned, that it would have been a sacrifice she was willing to make. Even her favorite Essex betrayed her. No, better off alone, or at least not wed.

When Princess Elizabeth was seventeen, preliminary negotiations were taking place for her to marry Frederick, Crown Prince of Denmark.
Princess Elizabeth refused to entertain the marriage with Emmanuel Philibert, Duke of Savoy and Prince of Piedmont.

None. Given the mores of the time, any man she married would have wanted power, and would have been the focus of dissatisfaction and possible insurrection. Look at what happened to poor Mary, Queen of Scots. A foreign match would have entangled English interests with those of other countries, as happened with Mary Tudor and Philip of Spain, and a match with a nobleman would have created a deep fracture within the noble families. Plus, dangling marriage in front of foreign governments gave her a lot of maneuvering ability.

No, she was better off single, and she knew it. Of course, it meant not having chlldren, but given her childhood, I would think she would have had such a profound distrust of marriage and men, especially where power was concerned, that it would have been a sacrifice she was willing to make. Even her favorite Essex betrayed her. No, better off alone, or at least not wed.

Absolutely spot on. Elizabeth knew her own mind, thank goodness. She truly deserves the appellation "the Great" after her name.

Now, that's a strong statement you make here. I refuse to believe that in the whole England there was not a proper man to marry her.

None. Given the mores of the time, any man she married would have wanted power, and would have been the focus of dissatisfaction and possible insurrection.

This thread has been viewed 3184 times.

Back