How accurate are FTDNA My Origins?

Yes, Lombardia, I was incorrect when I said Piemonte. His surname was Pirotta with one r. Sicilians were always identified by their place of origin like Palermo or Messina or Licata never just as a straniero.
I guess Sicilians were not considered foreigner because at that times Malta was part of Kingdom of Sicily. Do you have run DNA Land, 23andme and Geno or just Family Finder?

The spelling of the surname is Pirotta, one r, and according to gens cognomi italiani the surname is from Piemonte. It doesn't matter to me, on Giulio's parish marriage certificate he is listed as a foreigner, Straniero. Generally Sicilians are listed as foreigners or where they come from in Sicily. Maltese certificates were written in Standard Italian until the rise of Il Duce. If you are interested in Sultan Cem or the Ethiopian you can look up maltagenealogy.com, there is lots on her and him after all she gave rise to the Maltese family of Sant, and Cem's descendants to the Said family. Cem was a "guest" of the Borgias, I am descended from that man too via his bastard Cesare and his bastard Constanza. Not that it shows on me. Cem's wife was Italian though his mother was supposed to be Helena Palaiologos, so it is said, those Sultan's had lots of wives and concubines. If you are interested in common Maltese surnames that come from Sicily, most surnames in Malta do come from Sicily, Vella belongs to I-M223, Portelli belongs to R-M417, Camilleri is J-M172 and Caruana, reminds of Inspector Montalbano's sergeant, is T-M70.

Pirotta is a well known surname in Malta. Camilleri (second most popular surname in Malta) is G-L14 in Malta dna project on ftdna (It might have multiple origins but unless many are tested we would never know). Surname Said is E-M2. Re Said origin It was widely claimed that 'Nicolò Sayd', a grandson of Cem (1459–1496, the renegade son of Turkish Sultan Mehmet II) settled in Malta and became the ancestor of all Maltese bearing the surname Said. is now regarded as a fantacy, inspired by the writings of historical novelists Maurice Caron and John Freely, however the dna testing seems to prove the original claims. Surname Sultana (which is popular on the Island of Gozo) has a similar story derived from a Turk nobility who arrived as a slave with the Knights of St. John from Rhodes who was later given freedom and settled on the Island of Gozo in the village of Xara (where its still common there till today). No one with the surname seem to have tested yet.

It is good to know that when the Knights of St. John moved to Malta from Rhodes they have brought with them over a thousand Rhodians and probably a few ''Slaves'' presuming Turks, North Africans and sub-Saharan. It is also known that some have converted and married locals. I am sure this event is documented somewhere as the order kept a good record to their story.

Pirotta is a well known surname in Malta. Camilleri (second most popular surname in Malta) is G-L14 in Malta dna project on ftdna (It might have multiple origins but unless many are tested we would never know). Surname Said is E-M2. Re Said origin It was widely claimed that 'Nicolò Sayd', a grandson of Cem (1459–1496, the renegade son of Turkish Sultan Mehmet II) settled in Malta and became the ancestor of all Maltese bearing the surname Said. is now regarded as a fantacy, inspired by the writings of historical novelists Maurice Caron and John Freely, however the dna testing seems to prove the original claims. Surname Sultana (which is popular on the Island of Gozo) has a similar story derived from a Turk nobility who arrived as a slave with the Knights of St. John from Rhodes who was later given freedom and settled on the Island of Gozo in the village of Xara (where its still common there till today). No one with the surname seem to have tested yet.

It is good to know that when the Knights of St. John moved to Malta from Rhodes they have brought with them over a thousand Rhodians and probably a few ''Slaves'' presuming Turks, North Africans and sub-Saharan. It is also known that some have converted and married locals. I am sure this event is documented somewhere as the order kept a good record to their story.

Pirotta has Lombardi origins

See 402 households below
La distribuzione geografica del cognome Pirotta in Italia
366 Lombardia

13 Piemonte

6 Sicilia

4 Emilia-Romagna

3 Lazio

2 Liguria

In Malta there are 127 households of which Fgura has 51 and Marsa 49

Apart from the surnames you mentioned for Malta, Gauci and Azzorpardi would be more popular

Pirotta could be a Maltese version of Sicilian/Calabrese Pirrotta and Perrotta too. Not all surnames correspond to an haplogroup in my opinion. Very common surnames have lot of variability. Anyway many Maltese surnames like Attard, Grech, Borg, Falzon, Muscat are a localized variety of Italian surname like Attardo, Greco, Borgia, Falzone, Moscato/Moscati etc.

Some stuff is way off. Three of my grandparents were straight from Slovakia and I've documented that side as far back as the late 1700s on some sides. My one grandmother is an American mix with mostly Scottish, Irish, and English background but with also significant ancestry from South West Germany, Switzerland, and also France. Ftdna gives me 34 % British isles...Even if it was the case that my American grandmother is 100% British isles there's no way I could get 34% of it. Any Western euro coming from my Slovak side would be under west/central euro. I also get trace regions from Siberia and South America though I'm already listed as 100 % European?? What am I 104 % of something and South America??
12a2e248ad75f8a707e9f62b2300b6df.jpg
0153d1dc5841424da92e1dedf4716232.jpg

Some stuff is way off. Three of my grandparents were straight from Slovakia and I've documented that side as far back as the late 1700s on some sides. My one grandmother is an American mix with mostly Scottish, Irish, and English background but with also significant ancestry from South West Germany, Switzerland, and also France. Ftdna gives me 34 % British isles...Even if it was the case that my American grandmother is 100% British isles there's no way I could get 34% of it. Any Western euro coming from my Slovak side would be under west/central euro. I also get trace regions from Siberia and South America though I'm already listed as 100 % European?? What am I 104 % of something and South America??
12a2e248ad75f8a707e9f62b2300b6df.jpg
0153d1dc5841424da92e1dedf4716232.jpg

Lolz.....104 percent

The MYOrigins2.0 update has had tons of complaints. They also can't do math apparently.

Last edited:
yes but living dna don't have sefhardic and aschenazi refrence
so for me there autosomal test is useles :)
regards
adam

My pops Armenian, mom is Azerbaijani....so it wasn't that MyOrigins felt incorrect (they had me at 94% Asia Minor), but rather just that the way they grouped it was bland and broad, though perhaps FT's "Asia Minor" is bundling together the 70% Caucasus and 15-19% Greek/Mediterranean that Ancestry and GED define me as. After the 94% Asia Minor was 4% South Asia, and <2% Central Europe, Northeast Asia, West Middle East traces.

I thought the first My Origins was pretty accurate.

Untitled.jpg

But ( more or less ) accurate as the first one was , the second one was junk.

Untitledf.png

For me, anyway, My Origins overstates British Isles and understates the rest of western Europe. It splits me between 83% British Isles and 14% Eastern Europe, with the rest trace Central Asia and Asia Minor. Paper ancestry gives me somewhat less British Isles (roughly 67-75%), and also some Swedish (a great-grandparent), German, and lesser amounts of French and Dutch. The eastern European is coming from the Swedish and German, I assume, and instead of getting Central Europe or Scandinavian it's just getting split between British Isles and Eastern Europe.

My Heritage is quite close (for my parents too -- the FTDNA results uploaded there). I have a separate Ancestry test that reverses the issue with FTDNA -- gives me 4% Great Britain (and 19% Ireland), and then excessively high (probably) Swedish, and 42% generic Europe West. In that I'd estimate my ancestry from Celtic countries at about 25% given the paper record, that bit is close, so the issue here is the English ancestry getting plonked into Western Europe and Scandinavia.

None of this is complaints -- I think it shows the difficulties of separating it all out when one has ancestry from a bunch of different places (that themselves have mixed and interconnected ancestry).

For me, anyway, My Origins overstates British Isles and understates the rest of western Europe. It splits me between 83% British Isles and 14% Eastern Europe, with the rest trace Central Asia and Asia Minor. Paper ancestry gives me somewhat less British Isles (roughly 67-75%), and also some Swedish (a great-grandparent), German, and lesser amounts of French and Dutch. The eastern European is coming from the Swedish and German, I assume, and instead of getting Central Europe or Scandinavian it's just getting split between British Isles and Eastern Europe.

My Heritage is quite close (for my parents too -- the FTDNA results uploaded there). I have a separate Ancestry test that reverses the issue with FTDNA -- gives me 4% Great Britain (and 19% Ireland), and then excessively high (probably) Swedish, and 42% generic Europe West. In that I'd estimate my ancestry from Celtic countries at about 25% given the paper record, that bit is close, so the issue here is the English ancestry getting plonked into Western Europe and Scandinavia.

None of this is complaints -- I think it shows the difficulties of separating it all out when one has ancestry from a bunch of different places (that themselves have mixed and interconnected ancestry).

Yeah I wouldn’t put too much stock into one ethnicity estimate since the regions and reference samples are variable. If you do 5-10 ethnicity estimates like I have done you start to see certain patterns in the major regions; for example, Western, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Europe.

I am 1/2 Armenian and 1/2 British Isles. My mom is from the southern US and I have family trees going back to the 17th century...all have surnames from the British Isles. Surprise surprise, FT DNA gave me Zero British Isles. It says I'm West and Central Europe - 45%, East Europe - 4%, Scandinavian - 3%. (Asia Minor 47%, < 2% East Middle East)

I uploaded it to GED Match and put it through a bunch of the calculators. I think my two ethnicities pull and tug at each other and want to put me in the middle of Europe.

IMO my origins 2.0 isnt good, i m mostly north italian and the test show me more iberian than italian LOL

Hi Macimo,

What is your eurogenes k13 results? My paper trail has english ancestry for last 200 years yet i always get belgium/ south dutch.

Is that typical english?

PopulationPercent
1North_Atlantic45.65
2Baltic22.49
3West_Med14.94
4East_Med9.31
5West_Asian4.74
6Red_Sea1.65
7Oceanian0.97
8South_Asian0.23

Single Population Sharing:

#Population (source)Distance
1South_Dutch2.88
2West_German3.25
3Southeast_English5.96
4French6.88

IMO my origins 2.0 isnt good, i m mostly north italian and the test show me more iberian than italian LOL

Mine was even more bizarre. I've Italian ancestry from 75% of my family and I got 0% Italian, 40 Iberian + 20% Sephardic Jew.

When I saw I was like "WTF", but after uploading it to other places (inclsuding GedMatch) things started to get closer to reality.

Mine was even more bizarre. I've Italian ancestry from 75% of my family and I got 0% Italian, 40 Iberian + 20% Sephardic Jew.

When I saw I was like "WTF", but after uploading it to other places (inclsuding GedMatch) things started to get closer to reality.

My origins 2.0 is terrible for Italians. My wife is half Italian and half English and she received 32% Iberian and 14% Sephardic.

This thread has been viewed 27866 times.

Back