What are Bosnian genetics similar to? (comparable country with almost same genetics)

Jose Pacheco

Reaction score
I always heard that Bosnians are south Slavic people, so naturally I thought they shared same dna as Russians. After I did some research I found that, only 15 % of dna in bosnians is the ''slavic'' gene. Also known as r1a. So my question to you guys is, what comparable country shares the same or almost same genetics as people from Bosnia and Herzegovina?

Thanks.

I always heard that Bosnians are south Slavic people, so naturally I thought they shared same dna as Russians. After I did some research I found that, only 15 % of dna in bosnians is the ''slavic'' gene. Also known as r1a. So my question to you guys is, what comparable country shares the same or almost same genetics as people from Bosnia and Herzegovina?

Thanks.

See:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0105090

It's a comprehensive analysis of modern Balkan genetics.

hm, I read it, but its hard to understand...
The admixture graph should make it simpler to see the closest populations to the Bosnian ones.

Click to enlarge:

Kovacevic et al.jpg

hmm, I still don't understand the graph. What exactly am I supposed to compare?

The colors indicate different founding populations. Look at the patterns. Bosniaks, Bosnian Serbs and Bosnian Croats, despite different religions and allegiances, are basically the same genetically. They're very similar to Croats as a whole. Basically, all of these people are similar to one another although there are some differences between the "eastern" group, Romanians and Bulgarians, and the western group. They all show evidence of an admixture event that took place after the fall of Rome from a "Slavic" group from the north with the more "native" population already present. Just compare them to the Polish bar.

Bosnia's are south Slavic genetically! This means Serbs, Croats, Bulgarians, Slovenians are their cousins. It could be pockets of Bosnia where population is still pre Slavic, genetically close to Greeks

Thanks.

Bosnians are roughly a mix of Albanians, Germans and Slavs. Serbs of Bosnia are slavized Vlachs.

The admixture graph should make it simpler to see the closest populations to the Bosnian ones.

Click to enlarge:

View attachment 8444

There are East Asian admix (yellow), how could it come to Bosnia?

I couldn't see it well. Is East Asian admix common as in Romanian (all samples have it) or just some people have it example a Bosnian guy who has really high South Asian admix which is more then Armenians or Turks? It seems in the middle, samples have East Asian admix but I couldn't decide for all Bosnian population.

I love charts, maps:heart:

It gives other great results as well.

*I guess Saudi population is very mix also

*North Russians have same East Asian admix with Turk.

*Greeks are closer to Macedonian then Cypriots......:grin:

The colors indicate different founding populations. Look at the patterns. Bosniaks, Bosnian Serbs and Bosnian Croats, despite different religions and allegiances, are basically the same genetically. They're very similar to Croats as a whole. Basically, all of these people are similar to one another although there are some differences between the "eastern" group, Romanians and Bulgarians, and the western group. They all show evidence of an admixture event that took place after the fall of Rome from a "Slavic" group from the north with the more "native" population already present. Just compare them to the Polish bar.
What about some distant neighbours from Bosnia? Like Italians, Greeks, etc? How close are they do them? Or Russians?

There are East Asian admix (yellow), how could it come to Bosnia?

I couldn't see it well. Is East Asian admix common as in Romanian (all samples have it) or just some people have it example a Bosnian guy who has really high South Asian admix which is more then Armenians or Turks? It seems in the middle, samples have East Asian admix but I couldn't decide for all Bosnian population.

I love charts, maps:heart:

It gives other great results as well.

*I guess Saudi population is very mix also

*North Russians have same East Asian admix with Turk.

*Greeks are closer to Macedonian then Cypriots......:grin:

Some of the yellow, East Asian admix - which is in any case very little - could have gone in Bosnia during the Ottoman Empire, via the Muslim Turks. Bosnians are predominately Muslims, so weddings were allowed :)

Romanians, I assume, have also a bit of east asian, due to the Huns and the Magyars, who had been settled in the nearby areas and traveled a lot through Transylvania etc. Perhaps, somebody that knows better can correct us.

Greeks are somehow closer to Slavomacedonians than the Cypriots, which seems logical. However, if we consider Cyprus geographic position, we could expect more Syrian and Turk like results. What we take, is relatively very different results, due to the lack the south Asian and the east Asian component.

Slavomacedonians are almost identical to Bulgarians.

Bosnians are roughly a mix of Albanians, Germans and Slavs. Serbs of Bosnia are slavized Vlachs.

There is no appreciable difference between Bosnian Serbs, Bosnian Croats, and Bosniaks. That is, for me, the tragic irony of the recent conflicts. Indeed, that's the tragic irony of the Balkans as a whole. The genetic differences are as nothing compared to the ones in Italy, and yet look at what happens again and again.

Boreas:There are East Asian admix (yellow), how could it come to Bosnia?

There is some variation in the Bosnian population in this regard. These minor admixtures would have hit the eastern Balkans first, so the effect might be more uniform there. As to the source, there are numerous candidates. I highly doubt it has anything to do with Ottomans. The Balkans saw invasions by Bulgars, Avars, and on and on. Even prior to that time, as time passed there was more and more "East Asian" like or "Siberian" like admixture in theppe* peoples.

There is much more detail in the paper, and reading the supplement is important.

It should be remembered that the "Greek" sample here is from northern Thessaly. The Peloponnesus would be slightly different, and the Greek Islands even more different.

Ed. "steppe" obviously. I developed a lisp for a second. :)

Last edited:
What do the colors represent in the graph? I see alot of blue and light blue, that is same as in french and sardinian for an example. And how much does the green / yellow color represent in terms of % in the bosniacs?

What do the colors represent in the graph? I see alot of blue and light blue, that is same as in french and sardinian for an example. And how much does the green / yellow color represent in terms of % in the bosniacs?
I think, one or two samples of Bosniaks have significant Romani background. Perhaps, Zavidovici where are coming samples, have a strong Romani commune.

I'm Bosnian and I look like I have east Asian/siberian admixture but according to my DNA results I have none. Besides European which is 54 east, 23 southwest (kinda strange) and 9% northwest, I'm only 9% Asia minor and 2% Jewish diaspora...lol

I'm Bosnian and I look like I have east Asian/siberian admixture but according to my DNA results I have none. Besides European which is 54 east, 23 southwest (kinda strange) and 9% northwest, I'm only 9% Asia minor and 2% Jewish diaspora...lol
Where you get that? In FTDNA? My origin has updated

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a40 using Eupedia Forum mobile app

Geno 2.0, Natgeo

Bosnians Can't Be Albanians. Haplogroup E and J are relatively low in Bosnia. Haplogroup E is generally considered to be from North Africa. And 20-30% of Albanians are connected to that Haplogroup. Haplogroup J came to Europe with The Ottoman Invasion. And again, Albanians have 20-30% of that group. Albanians are not Illyrian either. Well, not majority Illyrian. As studies by Igenea Shows That Albanians are around 30% Illyrian. Saying That Bosnians Are A Mix Of Albanians Is Intellectually Dishonest. We are a mix of Goths "Teutons" 20%. 40% Illyrians. Around 15% celtic. 15% Slavic. And The Other 10% are Huns, Thracians and more. These Numbers Are Generally Accepted By The Geneology Community Today

This thread has been viewed 20171 times.

Back