Principal component and qpAdm analyses confirm European admixture in Chinchorro DNA

Awesome find, Genetiker!

If you look at the admixture bar graphs of the Bell Beakers and compare them to those of the modern European populations, the Bell Beakers have much greater variation among them in their component proportions than do the modern Europeans. I read that this is due to the algorithms having trouble assigning the categories to them, as they lack the mutations that have accumulated since their time. It therefore makes sense to me that the much older samples would show even greater variability in this regard, and that much more so with the pre-LGM samples. And additionally to that, if they did cross the Atlantic, say, 30,000 years ago, then with the Chinchorro samples being only about 6,000 years old, the mutations that would have accumulated during that intervening time period would I would think make the algorithms have even more trouble ascertaining the component proportions, including the Amerindian component.

I'd be interested in hearing rebuttals to this.

Good points. In my paper I mention that thousands of years of genetic drift could complicate the task of identifying the exact source of the European admixture in the Chinchorro sample.

Where is the DNA information and how did you get it? Has the data been published? Cheers

This thread has been viewed 15216 times.

Back