L151 & p310

ajc347

Reaction score
I've recently received the results of a LivingDNA test which has given me a y-DNA Haplogroup of R-M269 with a subclade of R-L151.

I'm new to the world of genetic testing and have a question about L-151.

I've been guided onto the R-L151 YTree on yfull.com which lists a number of other subclades
(such as L11, L52, P310, P311, S127, S128 and S129 etc) on the same line as L151.

I can't find L151 listed on the very useful R1b Haplogroup guide on this site (it lists P310 and L11 but not L151) and am unsure if P310, L11 and L151 are different names for the same subclade or whether they are materially different in themselves (and, if so, how different are they given that they are listed on the same line)?

L151 is an alias of P310 and is equivalent to L11. This haplogroup is ancestral to all Germanic, Celtic and Italic clades. But you can't belong only to P310 without further mutation in nearly 5000 years. That's impossible. All it means is that you belong to a rarer side subclade like A8051 or DF100 (aka S1200) that LivingDNA didn't test, or to a yet undiscovered branch that you can only identify doing a full Y-chromosome test. You should first check if LivingDNA's data includes A8051 and S1200. If you can't find them, you can send them an email to ask if they tested it or not. I wouldn't be surprised that they tested only S1200 as the S series SNPs are British are usually tested by both LivingDNA and BritainsDNA. The A series (like the BY and FGC) come from full Y-chromosomal sequences. So you might belong to A8051, which so far has been found in North Germany and Scotland (perhaps of Anglo-Saxon origin).

L151 & p310

Thank you for the really helpful and detailed reply Maciamo. [emoji846]

The etymology of my surname is West Germanic and I've been able to trace my paternal line back to East Anglia, so a potential Anglo-Saxon line of Germanic origin does seem plausible.

Unfortunately, I've not been able to download the raw data from LivingDNA as they have not enabled that feature as yet.

I've emailed them to ask which SNP's they've tested for and to confirm any negative results etc.

I await their reply with interest and will, of course, let you know the outcome when I receive it. :)

Last edited:
I've just received a very helpful reply back from LivingDNA and it would appear that my test was S21/U106 negative, P312/S116 negative, and CTS4528/S1200 negative.

They indicated that they don't test for A8051 or DF100/S1194, so given that the test is S1200- it looks likely they have confirmed your suspicions of A8051 being a potential match, Maciamo. :)

This thread has been viewed 5503 times.

Back