Level
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Overall activity: 0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a>CTS8816>Y2902

Ethnic group
    Slavic

Could have Goths been of Scandinavian R1a

My DNA result gave result as R1a subclass Z284>L448 and ever since I've tried to figure out the ways of my ancestors. My family originates from Serbo-Bulgarian parts of the Balkan (certain for past 200 years) and it confuses me how could the Scandinavian R1a be settle in the Balkans.

It might be a long-shot, but understand that I am not historian and I am using only info I found on the internet. Let's take a look at R1a migration map:

cache.eupedia.com/images/content/R1a_migration_map.jpg

Presuming majority of the Z284 inhabited areas around Gotland in todays Sweden ~1700BCE.

Present day map of Scandinavian R1a:

s3.amazonaws.com/photos.geni.com/p13/02/f8/13/62/53444839cf658d24/r1a-l448_mariusz_large.jpg

Wikipedia suggests that Goths in period 750BCE-1AC came from the same region of Gotland to what today is Denmark and Poland.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/Germanic_tribes_%28750BC-1AD%29.png

By the centuries and conflicts, co-living with Roman Empire they spread across Europe. Familiar are the East Goths - Ostrogoths often connected with the Chernyakhov culture that inhabited parts of todays Romania, Moldova and Ukraine.

Take look at this video:

youtu.be/oWWLECJnylM?t=3m22s

and notice movement of the Ostrogoths by the Invasion of Huns and later by migration of Bulgars to Balkans.

Could not have some part of the Ostrogoths been assimilated with the Bulgars and this way going deeper into Balkans. Does anyone else have any opinion on this?

Elite member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Overall activity: 14.0%

Didn't Varangian Vikings pass through the Balkans?

Regular Member Achievements:
    31 days registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 27.0%

Quote Originally Posted by sljoza View Post
    Could not have some part of the Ostrogoths been assimilated with the Bulgars and this way going deeper into Balkans. Does anyone else have any opinion on this?
    Goths is a good assumption. In the time of the Big Walkabout...
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...od_deutsch.svg
    ...there were quite a lot of them in the Balkans. You have even the choice between Visi and Ostro.

250 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 1.0%

Varangian Vikings were my first thought as well.

These articles may be of some help (you will need to copy an paste each of the links into a browser as I do not have a sufficient post count to post full links as yet):

medievalists.net/2015/08/visual-material-evidence-of-viking-presence-in-the-balkans/

academia.edu/16720256 - The Vikings on the Balkans (10th–11th centuries). Strategic and tactical changes. New archaeological data on the weaponry.

davidkfaux.org/CentralAsiaRootsofScandinavia-Y-DNAEvidence.pdf

What struck me in the 3rd article is the statement concerning R1a1 on page 24 which states that:

'The percentage typically found in Norway and Sweden is about 20%, and is the one haplogroup that, if found in Britain, is almost certainly attributable to the presence of the Vikings'.

This leads me to speculate, following the same logic, as to whether a similar route of transmission may have occurred given the Viking presence in the Balkans.

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a>CTS8816>Y2902

Ethnic group
    Slavic

(double post)
    Last edited by sljoza; 23-03-17 at 19:08. Reason: (double post)

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a>CTS8816>Y2902

Ethnic group
    Slavic

Thank you for sharing those maps and articles. I enjoyed reading them, but I found some things in paper "Central Asia Roots of Scandinavia" to be in contrary to what seems to be widely accepted. With the first link I had shared (R1a migration map) you can see that it came to Scandinavian peninsula 1700 BC while author of this paper suggest that Gothic/Hunnic people brought this haplogroup to Scandinavia in around 5,6th century. What would your opinion on this be?

Also, knowing that Finnish people are of Asian origin, Wikipedia states that they also inhabited Scandinavia BC, is there maybe any connection to Finnish people according to this document.

Origin of Z284 on Balkans might be of Viking descend, but beside Varangian guard I haven't found any sources on matter that Vikings had settled on Balkan peninsula. They seemingly just aided Rus' into fighting Bulgaria and probably set of to another mercenary work. Of course some of the Z284 could be a product of interaction with local women at the time they stayed. Comparing this to the period of few centuries that Goth inhabited Tracia and Dacia is very little. There is just question wether Goths did carry R1a or they did not.

500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-Z280>YP5224
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U4a1

Hello Sljoza, where did you test?

I encourage you to join R1a Project at FTDNA (if tested with this company or with Geno): https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/r-1a/about

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a>CTS8816>Y2902

Ethnic group
    Slavic

Aparently nevgen showed different result for me when I ran it again after few months, so I guess I am not Z284 after all, tho I am still interested in this topic.

Hello Artmar,

I've done test in my country, not by sending my sample to any of those big companies. I don't think this company is supported by any of those projects you shared, because I didn't recieve anykind of instructions or login along with my result. Otherwise I would gladly join.