Turkish

cay from cayburnu?

in a photo you have glass red tea.
it it black sea tea?

You posted your pictures earlier. You look like a Middle Easterner with red hair and pale skin. Have you tested your DNA? You should check if you have the same mutations as red haired Europeans.

@Tahir: Minus the head covering you would pass unnoticed in a lot of places in Europe.

@Yetos: Yes, I noticed it too. A friend of mine has developed a secret vice: Turkish tv series, or novelas, in her terms. I watched a few episodes of Kara Para Ask with her. The characters seemed to drink endless quantities of it, far more than coffee.

Ahh no this is from Çaykara Trabzon. We call the region Karadeniz. We have a saying in Turkish when someone ask you how you want your tea you say tavşan kanı olsun make it like rabbits blood is meaning.

But what if my hair was brown you think that'd give a more Turkish look. I will add photos of my father. As he looks very Asian more like Turkmen. Yet I have the red hair unless this came from Tatar or Russians. But besides the hair I'm talking about facial features. do they seem more European or Asian.

You posted your pictures earlier. You look like a Middle Easterner with red hair and pale skin. Have you tested your DNA? You should check if you have the same mutations as red haired Europeans.
I added pictures of my mother, and father to compare them to me.. Who do you think I look more like. Also as you see both my mother and father are darker then I am.

@Tahir: Minus the head covering you would pass unnoticed in a lot of places in Europe.

@Yetos: Yes, I noticed it too. A friend of mine has developed a secret vice: Turkish tv series, or novelas, in her terms. I watched a few episodes of Kara Para Ask with her. The characters seemed to drink endless quantities of it, far more than coffee.

So I just added pictures of my mother, and father. Just for comparison.

Your mother definitely looks more West Asian than you do, and I think you look more like your father, who, other than that he has rather narrow eyes, doesn't look very "Turkic" to me at all. He would pass as well, I think.

While they may be a minority of the population there are indeed some turks who could pass as Southern European in my opinion, and maybe even further north.

1.jpg

I think she's absolutely gorgeous. The hair looks dyed to me, although it's becoming. I bet it isn't that black in real life.

Here she looks like Audrey Hepburn.

1451859919577.jpg

So even people like Engin öztürk for example (people have told me I look like him) could pass well in norther parts of Europe you think? https://s6.postimg.org/eb8117uip/engin_ozturk.jpg.. Or even people like Furkan Kızılay who could pass I guess also for European.https://s6.postimg.org/m6ikg145d/furkan_kizilay2124918388586e00a66dc67.jpg https://s6.postimg.org/cxge5wv9d/furkan_kizilay_kimdir.jpg . So I think my father would be more eastern Europe as the dark hair wider nose Asian eyes, and his complexion is not quiet as white as mine. Secondly in your opinion why do you think Turks are so hard to identify? I mean there are many red headed, and blonde Turks who could easily pass of Northern Europe. Especially Kıvanç Tatlıtuğ who is probably the most famous. With this blonde hair he could even pass for Nordic. https://s6.postimg.org/yz6ofyfr5/K_vanc_Tatl_tug_3.jpg So why do you think that Turks are so mixed from light skin blonde hair blue eyes. To red hair light skin dark eyes. To olive, all the way to extremely tan almost like the people of Saudi Arabia.

Isn't Kivanc Tatlitug half Balkan? I looked him up once after seeing him in some movie on netflix. I don't know the ancestry of the others.

My opinion isn't worth all that much on this subject because I've never been to Turkey, and we have very few Turkish families here. All I can say is that my impression is that a good number of the actors in Turkish film and tv look more ambiguous than the people in the crowd pictures I've seen, or pictures of politicians for that matter. That leads me to believe that these actors and actresses are not totally representative of the different "looks" in Turkey. Maybe not as disparate as actors and actresses in Bollywood versus real life Indians, but still disparate.

The only other thing I've noticed is that the Turks I meet, including my hairdresser and his wife, who look rather Greek or "Balkan" like, are usually from near Istanbul or from the western coastal areas. That may not be 100% the case, but that's my impression.

Anyway, if I were going to watch hours of Turkish dramas, I'd rather look at and listen to him...:)
C5_DDvze_XUAEClsr.jpg_large.jpg

27930622203_5d0a48159d_b.jpg

Last edited:
I added pictures of my mother, and father to compare them to me.. Who do you think I look more like. Also as you see both my mother and father are darker then I am.

You look more like your mom. Out of all of you your Dad I think is the only that looks European.

Isn't Kivanc Tatlitug half Balkan? I looked him up once after seeing him in some movie on netflix. I don't know the ancestry of the others.

My opinion isn't worth all that much on this subject because I've never been to Turkey, and we have very few Turkish families here. All I can say is that my impression is that a good number of the actors in Turkish film and tv look more ambiguous than the people in the crowd pictures I've seen, or pictures of politicians for that matter. That leads me to believe that these actors and actresses are not totally representative of the different "looks" in Turkey. Maybe not as disparate as actors and actresses in Bollywood versus real life Indians, but still disparate.

The only other thing I've noticed is that the Turks I meet, including my hairdresser and his wife, who look rather Greek or "Balkan" like, are usually from near Istanbul or from the western coastal areas. That may not be 100% the case, but that's my impression.

Anyway, if I were going to watch hours of Turkish dramas, I'd rather look at and listen to him...:)
C5_DDvze_XUAEClsr.jpg_large.jpg

Turkish-drama-actor-Engin-Aky%C3%BCrek-biography-and-pictures.jpg

So I guess it just comes down to opinion everyone is going to say something different, just depending on peoples experiences. Or seeing people with similar features from a certain country. I guess it is almost impossible now to guess where someone is from based purely on look. As everyone is basically mixed now.

Sile, Sile, everytime I post anything at all that suggests that some Turks or other Near Easterners might have some overlap with Southern Europeans in terms of appearance, or post pictures of Near Eastern men I consider attractive, you give it a thumbs down. It's a big world out there, you know, and beauty comes in different shapes and types.

Is a Nordicist bias showing? Or did some Near Eastern kid try to steal your lunch money when you were a kid, or a girlfriend? :)

Just kidding, just kidding. You are extremely predictable, however. :)

Just for you I'm going to post another of my favorites. Those eyes could burn you up from across the room.

fb90016d4c7a5fe7a10ba70d14951a9d.jpg

Sile, Sile, everytime I post anything at all that suggests that some Turks or other Near Easterners might have some overlap with Southern Europeans in terms of appearance, or post pictures of Near Eastern men I consider attractive, you give it a thumbs down. It's a big world out there, you know, and beauty comes in different shapes and types.

Is a Nordicist bias showing? Or did some Near Eastern kid try to steal your lunch money when you were a kid, or a girlfriend? :)

Just kidding, just kidding. You are extremely predictable, however. :)

Just for you I'm going to post another of my favorites. Those eyes could burn you up from across the room.

fb90016d4c7a5fe7a10ba70d14951a9d.jpg

But I am from the near east so how would I not like them :p

But I am from the near east so how would I not like them :p

Tahir, do you really need me to tell you that there's a lot of variation in Turkey? You agreed with me upthread that Turks from far western Turkey share some overlap with Greeks. Some Turks look like they come from other areas in the Balkans, even if they don't have any extremely recent ancestry from there, or none that they're aware of.

Murat Yildirim is not a Turk who would pass in Europe. In fact, I think he has a Levant look to him. I just really like him as an actor and I think he's great looking. I was also teasing Sile.:)

Engin Akyurek is more toward the Southern European continuum but I think even he would be on the atypical side.

But I am talking features eyes nose eyebrows do they look European. From what I have seen Europeans especially Northern Europe tend to not have very thing eyebrows or they have eyebrows that are almost like vanishing. Beside my hair let's say for example o had brown hair would my features look
More Mediterranean or more Northern Europe.

This thread has been viewed 14823 times.

Back