Why is homo- and bisexuality on the rise in the West?

Tomenable

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Polish
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-L617
mtDNA haplogroup
W6a
If sexual orientation is not influenced by culture and environment, then why is this taking place?:

1) UK:

Sexual orientation (Kinsey scale) in the British pop. (YouGov 2015, n=1632 adults):

OrientationAge 18-24 y.o.Age 25-39 y.o.Age 40-59 y.o.Age 60+ y.o.
Strictly straight46%58%78%88%
Bisexual spectrum43%29%16%7%
Homosexual6%9%3%1%
Asexual1%1%1%1%
Unsure3%3%2%2%

Sexual orientation ("description") in the British pop. (YouGov 2015, n=1632 adults):

OrientationAge 18-24 y.o.Age 25-39 y.o.Age 40-59 y.o.Age 60+ y.o.
Heterosexual83%81%91%96%
Bisexual3%4%2%1%
Gay/lesbian10%11%4%1%
Other2%1%1%0%
Prefer not to say2%3%3%2%

"If the right person came along at the right time, do you think it is conceivable that you could have a relationship with a person of the same (gays/lesbians: opposite) sex?" (YouGov 2015, n=1632 adults):

Orientation (Kinsey scale)Absolutely notUnlikely, but not impossibleMaybe, if I really liked themDefinitelyDon't know
Strictly straight69%21%4%1%4%
Homosexual(31%)(20%)(50%)(0%)(0%)
Asexual0%88%0%0%12%
Unsure37%14%6%15%28%

Source: https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.n...t/7zv13z8mfn/YG-Archive-150813- Sexuality.pdf

2) US:

Sexual orientation in the American population (GLAAD 2017 survey, n=2037 adults):

OrientationAge 18-34 y.o.Age 35-51 y.o.Age 52-71 y.o.Age 72+ y.o.
Heterosexual84%91%94%98%
Bisexual*8%5%3%2%
Gay/lesbian3%3%2%0.5%
Asexual4%1%1%0.5%
Unsure1%0%0.5%0%

*Pansexual added.

Source: http://www.glaad.org/files/aa/2017_GLAAD_Accelerating_Acceptance.pdf

Assuming a natural origin of sexuality, the number probably doesn't rise or fall much throughout the ages.
I think that more people feel safe to open up about themselves, because of rising acceptance by the society.
That means more visibility, creating a probably false sense that the total number of lgbt people is rising, whereas
it's just a rise of people opening up about themselves. That's the way I see it.

Assuming a natural origin of sexuality, the number probably doesn't rise or fall much throughout the ages.
I think that more people feel safe to open up about themselves, because of rising acceptance by the society.
That means more visibility, creating a probably false sense that the total number of lgbt people is rising, whereas
it's just a rise of people opening up about themselves. That's the way I see it.
Exactly. People in the West don't need to hide their true sexuality anymore.

I think homosexual people make more children than heterosexual people these days, that's why

I think homosexual people make more children than heterosexual people these days, that's why
These days is too late to have more adult homosexuals now. They needed to make more kids 20 years ago and earlier, to have more homesexuals now. You also have to keep in mind that when homosexuals had to hide and merry opposite sex, they were making kids too.
However I don't think it is the case in general today. Could you find statistics to support your suspicion?

These days is too late to have more adult homosexuals now. They needed to make more kids 20 years ago and earlier, to have more homesexuals now. You also have to keep in mind that when homosexuals had to hide and merry opposite sex, they were making kids too.
However I don't think it is the case in general today. Could you find statistics to support your suspicion?

my comment wasn't meant to be taken serious
but now I see it could
I guess there are many theories and little data on the subject

but now I see it could
I see. It is even more funny now. ;)

It is just scientifically untrue to act like homosexuality is not influenced by culture. There is no genetic basis for homosexuality and it has been shown again and again to be a very malleable. Just the fact that bi sexuality exists should be enough to show people how these things are not set in stone. What is set in stone is the fact that we have a sex drive, not exactly where that drive is geared. Any honest person woukd know that if we stated every weird desire weve had we would not be just considered straight , gay, or whatever. Teenagers have all sorts of desires. Of course your experiences are going to affect you and affect where those desires are geared . I'm surprised how much former girl friends changed what I look for and find attractive in a women. It's not surprising to me that it's growing, more exposure to homosexuality leads more people to consider and become curious about that lifestyle.

Interesting difference between Britain and the U.S.

@srdceleva

I totally disagree. The vast majority of gay men I know report knowing they were gay from a very young age.

My own observations bear that out.

That doesn't mean there aren't some people who would now try it who wouldn't have in the past. That would inflate the bi-sexual number.

If sexual orientation is not influenced by culture and environment, then why is this taking place?:

Because sexual orientation is not influenced by culture and environment but depending on how honest one can be about what they feel, as in not thrown in jail (like used to happen in most of Europe up to just 55 years ago, or thrown from a roof top, stoned and hanged in public (like Isis, Alqaeda, Iran and some other Islamic countries) I wonder what such a survey would be like in these countries including many in East Europe too by the way. I was introduced to an obvious sissish Libyan guy and is so petrified of the whole issue because of the culture he comes from that he kept saying that he is a hetero (straight guy) who occasionally has a fling with a guy. That's how absurd this situation when living under oppressive societies as the ones I mentioned :LOL::LOL::LOL: Grow up Tomenable :rolleyes:

but now I see it could

Do we even know it isn't true? Birth rates are so low these days, it might even be ;)

That doesn't mean there aren't some people who would now try it who wouldn't have in the past. That would inflate the bi-sexual number.

indeed, there are also a good number of bi-curious men and women and are honest enough to admit it (such as in surveys)
publicly in an environments that are safe and no risking being bullied or harassed. That would not mean that they would actually be able to get in the act or even fall in anyway under the homosexual category. Its just a fine tuned definition of peoples feelings on the subject in modern societies.

Fwiw, I went to a university with a very open attitude toward alternative sexual lifestyles. One of the most prominent sign up desks for "clubs" during orientation was the Gay/Lesbian one. Two Lesbian girls were on my dormitory floor. I became quite friendly with one of them because we shared a lot of interests. I think I got my fair share of propositions, and from quite attractive women, contrary to the stereotype, but all the "exposure" in the world, and importuning as well, had absolutely no influence. I'm attracted sexually to men, not women. (well, certain men) That's one thing about which I'm very sure, and I'm sure it's true for the majority of people that they are only attracted to people of the opposite sex. That doesn't mean that in certain circumstances some people might not "experiment" or turn to a person of the same gender for sexual satisfaction. That's a different matter.

indeed, there are also a good number of bi-curious men and women and are honest enough to admit it (such as in surveys)
publicly in an environments that are safe and no risking being bullied or harassed.

it is like Ali G always repeating 'is it because I is black' whenever he gets offended

Fwiw, I went to a university with a very open attitude toward alternative sexual lifestyles. One of the most prominent sign up desks for "clubs" during orientation was the Gay/Lesbian one. Two Lesbian girls were on my dormitory floor. I became quite friendly with one of them because we shared a lot of interests. I think I got my fair share of propositions, and from quite attractive women, contrary to the stereotype, but all the "exposure" in the world, and importuning as well, had absolutely no influence. I'm attracted sexually to men, not women. (well, certain men) That's one thing about which I'm very sure, and I'm sure it's true for the majority of people that they are only attracted to people of the opposite sex. That doesn't mean that in certain circumstances some people might not "experiment" or turn to a person of the same gender for sexual satisfaction. That's a different matter.

so you're quite sure, but do you mean people exist that aren't sure who are stimulated by society to experiment ?

true for the majority of people that they are only attracted to people of the opposite sex. That doesn't mean that in certain circumstances some people might not "experiment" or turn to a person of the same gender for sexual satisfaction. That's a different matter.

Indeed. I believe it also depends how highly sexed is an individual. There is a wide range of sexual appetite from none to insatiable, both men and women and any orientation. As usual never a Black and white situation, but many shades of grey. (probably more then 50 :LOL:)

One has to consider that almost every TV show nowadays has a gay character and almost every adult TV show displays plenty of gay affection. Gay affection on TV isn't love or long-term relationships or whatever, like pro-gay activists would want to think, it's lustful and "bad" and whatever other adjective you want to use. One also has to consider that nowadays more than ever in recent memory homosexuality has been in the spotlight a lot and seen as fetishy, "bad", edgy which are triggers for heterosexuality and can raise the chances a heterosexual person does homosexual stuff.

^All of that can lead to higher rates of homosexual behavior.

Lebrok, being a hardcore pro-gay person who sees no faults in the gay acceptance trend is being dishonest. There's radicalism in it. Furthermore, "homophobia" isn't comparable to racism just as "pedaphobia"(Fear of pedaphiles) isn't comparable to racism. Yes, many people view homosexuals as adulteriers comparable to pedaphiles. And no they aren't ignorant hateful idiots for doing so. They do so because Gay people haven't in history been a race with a community that others can observe and make conclusions about their moral character. Homosexuals have been in the closet, they've been a rumor, and so it is perfectly understandable that normal heterosexual people have thought of them as devients, has perverted, and corrupt. The fear in "homphobia" is the same as the fear in "pedaphile."

I'm tired of people treating homosexuals like they're an oppressed race. And I'm tired of you and others viewing "homophobes" as terrible people. I think the way in which liberals have pushed a deviant form of homosexuality into popular media(eg, TV shows) and creepily pushed for homosexual influence in society in general has been radicle and an injustice. This movement is more than a social justice, "be nice to people", movement.

@Lebrok,

Listing homophobia as one of the great forms of discrimination along with racism and sexism makes little sense for two simple reasons...

1) There are few homosexuals to discriminate.
2) Discrimination of homosexuals is a rare occurrence.

so you're quite sure, but do you mean people exist that aren't sure who are stimulated by society to experiment ?

Yes, I think that's true. As I said upthread, there are probably people whose sexuality is more "fluid" who feel it's ok now to be bi-sexual. I would believe that percentage of the population has increased. You can see it in the survey numbers.

I would think there are also people who might just want to "try it out" given the atmosphere, but that doesn't make them homosexual in my opinion. Whatever experimentation people might engage in, if someone of the same sex just isn't sexually appealing to them they just aren't going to continue it if there are other choices, are they? Why would they? What would be the point?

There's also the situation where people starved of sexual contact for whatever reason might turn to a person of the same sex for satisfaction. It did occasionally occur to me when slaving away at The Odyssey that those soldiers and sailors away for twenty years might want to question the women friends of their spouses more than the young men thronging the gates. Who would risk a pregnancy you couldn't explain? It all depends on the strength of someone's sexual desires, as Maleth pointed out, and how strong a societally induced traditional id they possess. That wouldn't make people who do this homosexual either as far as I'm concerned.

Look, people know who sexually arouses them, men even more than women. If they say I'm definitely heterosexual, or I'm definitely homosexual, I think they can be trusted to know, and they probably are being honest, especially in surveys like this where there are no consequences.

I think it varies by culture as well. Certain ones really do have higher levels of it in my opinion.

@Fire-Haired,
That's an exceptionally silly and uninformed post. You have a lot to learn about human nature, including sexuality.

I'll add logic to that. There aren't as many homosexuals to discriminate against as, say, blacks, so it's less bad? Really? Maybe it's a lesser societal impact, but less bad? Explain that to some teenage boy who gets beaten half to death, or to the families of gay teens who have committed suicide. Where do you get this nonsense?

It is just scientifically untrue to act like homosexuality is not influenced by culture. There is no genetic basis for homosexuality and it has been shown again and again to be a very malleable. Just the fact that bi sexuality exists should be enough to show people how these things are not set in stone. What is set in stone is the fact that we have a sex drive, not exactly where that drive is geared. Any honest person woukd know that if we stated every weird desire weve had we would not be just considered straight , gay, or whatever. Teenagers have all sorts of desires. Of course your experiences are going to affect you and affect where those desires are geared . I'm surprised how much former girl friends changed what I look for and find attractive in a women. It's not surprising to me that it's growing, more exposure to homosexuality leads more people to consider and become curious about that lifestyle.
If you think sexuality is cultural, please tell us who taught you how to erect your penis when you were presented with a beautiful woman (assuming you are a straight man)? I don't remember any classes about this, not even books about this. How do we teach penis to get up when the right time comes? If it is a cultural phenomenon than this need to be a learned thing, right?

This thread has been viewed 32548 times.

Back