Prehistoric cemetery uncovered in Albania

DuPidh

Banned
Reaction score
In Albanian news: there was uncovered a cemetery during the process of building TAP gas pipeline. The cemetery is in the village of Turan, Korca district. The archaeologists who are in charge of the site said that the cemetery is dating 2600 years BC. 6 human skeletons were immediately recovered. The archaeologists suspect that this might be part of a larger cemetery. The reason I started this thread is because Albania does not have a genetics institute and in genetics point of view this site could be a treasure in discovering who lived there in that distant time. I don't think archaeologists care about genetics. I don't know how can we make the geneticist know about the existence of those skeletons?!

I would say to e-mail Reich or Lazaridis at Harvard. Just google them.

Thanks. I found Reich's e-mail. I send him the news. Hopefully my e-mail is not on spam

It is important to know where these people cluster.

2600 Bc is not prehistoric,

it is almost the time of early Mycenean,

what kinds of tombs they found?

2600 Bc is not prehistoric,

it is almost the time of early Mycenean,

what kinds of tombs they found?
Simple tombs. Most of them destroyed. The area was farming field and many were damaged by the plow work

In Albanian news: there was uncovered a cemetery during the process of building TAP gas pipeline. The cemetery is in the village of Turan, Korca district. The archaeologists who are in charge of the site said that the cemetery is dating 2600 years BC. 6 human skeletons were immediately recovered. The archaeologists suspect that this might be part of a larger cemetery. The reason I started this thread is because Albania does not have a genetics institute and in genetics point of view this site could be a treasure in discovering who lived there in that distant time. I don't think archaeologists care about genetics. I don't know how can we make the geneticist know about the existence of those skeletons?!

Awesome! Hopefully they get tested.

I wonder where you got this from. Source? Link?

Right now that area is a G2a hot spot. I would also expect some of those bones being G2a.

which G2a?
can you give more deeper?

https://www.ata.gov.al/en/ancient-dwelling-area-discovered-in-korca/

Ancient dwelling area discovered in Korça

By Pandi Skaka Posted on 13:47 - 10 May 2017

KORÇA, May 10/ATA/- In the vicinity of Turan village in Korça district was discovered an ancient dwelling area.

The discovery was made during works on cleaning and adjustment of the passage corridor of the Trans Adriatic Pipeline (TAP). According to preliminary estimations of the experts of cultural heritage based on ceramics found, it is thought that the dwelling area dates back to early period of the iron age (X – IX B.C.) until the late Roman period ( IV – V A.D.). During the Middle Ages the area used to be a cemetery.

TAP stopped its works immediately after the discovery. The event was also reported to the Agency of Archaeological Service. The representatives of culture heritage of this institution have carried out the evaluation of this discovery while the National Council of Archaeology began digging process by professional archaeologists.

Neil Fairburn, TAP Senior Cultural Heritage Advisor said that, “our teams are monitoring traces along the gas pipeline and preserve every element of the cultural heritage in accordance with the TAP plan for management of the cultural heritage, the EU laws and the best practice of the industry”.

All artifact and archaeological findings have been handed over to the relevant Albanian authorities who ensure their exhibition for the public./m.m/p.s./

I don't think the y haplogroups would only be G2 they'd probably have some J, R, I2, E and maybe C and F or whatever if it's really prehistoric.

This thread has been viewed 6424 times.

Back