Dibran

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Albanian/Gheg/Dibran/Okshtun
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-L1029>Y133379
mtDNA haplogroup
H11a2b*
I was thinking of taking the test for this feature. However I noticed that there is only one GC listed for southeast Europe. The irony is that it is just listed as south east Europe. Yet there is a separate GC for south slavs.

Can any Albanians Greeks and Southern Slavs comment on these features? Are they pointless?

Do the dark blobs correlate to where in southeast Europe you would be from? Or is it a generic placeholder with a generic set of information?

These seems really great for northern and northwestern Europeans and perhaps Southern Europeans. But southeast Europe seems like it has nothing to offer.

Some explanation would be nice/appreciated. Thanks.

It was accurate in predicting that I'm South Slavic. Better than Geno 2.0 which didn't tell me much and gave me 23% Southwest European which seems way off.

It was accurate in predicting that I'm South Slavic. Better than Geno 2.0 which didn't tell me much and gave me 23% Southwest European which seems way off.

Yea, there customer service seemed more clueless than I was lol. So they didnt tell me much. I guess I will wait for improvements. Seems people from our neck of the woods have the least representation in these tests.

Yea, there customer service seemed more clueless than I was lol. So they didnt tell me much. I guess I will wait for improvements. Seems people from our neck of the woods have the least representation in these tests.

For me, Ancestrydna only recognized me as likely a match with the Midwest Cornbelt; accurate for only 19/32 of my Geneology however like I've said in the feedback, I'm also 1/16 French Canadian, 1/32 Irish canadian on my Maternal Grandfather's side before settling in Michigan and eventually Seattle/Snohomish area. When my Maternal Grandpa joined the army during the Vietnam War, he was placed in a military base where he married a local; my Grandmother whom herself was 1/2 Scots Gaelic, 1/4 Irish and 1/4 Middlesex British.
Overall the new features are not bad but there is much to improve on. I personally feel like Ancestrydna was a little too conservative in my case and it would be cool to bookmark other genetic communities that my; I mean our ancestors were from. ;)

Last edited:
All results in the USA, but to illustrate possibilities:

My father has one group. My mother has two different groups.

I got both of my mother's groups but not my father's. My brother got all three.

Ancestry's "Genetic Communities" pretends that I am not Southern European at all (even though when I run my raw results through other tools through GEDmatch they show up as typical of others on here) and has only placed me in Scandinavia (I had a Swedish grandmother on my mother's side). Granted, I realize that is part of my background, but my life is being Bulgarian-American and being a part of the disapora and there is nothing in their community feature that even recognizes Bulgaria.

I have, however seen results from some African-Americans using Ancestry that appear to be very specific and very good. So there is room for improvement, I suppose.

This thread has been viewed 4172 times.

Back