Credibility of FTDNA

How credible are FTDNA's test results concerning association to ethnic groups?

• ***** very high credibility (very few inconsistencies)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****_ high credibility

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • ***__ medium credibility

• **___ low credibility

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • *____ very low credibility (a lot of inconsistencies)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

castelleone

Reaction score
In your opinion,
how credible is FTDNA's results concerning identification of ethnic groups?

I'll be honest I thought my original MyOrigins was reasonably decent and in line withe the general trend of tests , but the new "upgrade " is pretty lousy.

I'll be honest I thought my original MyOrigins was reasonably decent and in line withe the general trend of tests , but the new "upgrade " is pretty lousy.

Did you get any reasonable answer from their forum? It seems 100% amateurish.

Last edited:
I think it is better then ancestry in my opinion, as I stated I think it did a better job of break down the Balkan and Eastern Europe areas then Ancestry does.

As far as Middle/Near Eastern populations go, FTDNA is one of the only companies out there brave enough to break the region down into sub-regions. Though from the samples I've seen, it is heavily weighted toward Asia Minor.

My hope is that myOrigins 3.0 will introduce other regions and modal populations such as Caucasus (Nakh, Georgian, Adyghe), Persia, Arabia, and will incorporate ancient DNA for regions that were desolate for much of modern history like southern Levant.

In your opinion,
how credible is FTDNA's results concerning identification of ethnic groups?
They inflate Scandinavian percentages to unbelievable levels for me.

Very low credibility . I have english in my Ancestry ( lee, Green , Downes,etc) and I got zero percent Great britain and irish.

Mom(French Canadian)
West And Central Europe: 99%
East Middle East: 2%

Dad(Wallonia Belgian)
West And Central Europe: 80%
Southeast Europe: 13%
Scandinavia: 6%
Finland: 2%

Me
West And Central Europe: 90%
Southeast Europe: 10%

Pretty happy with my FTDNA calls...myself, an uncle and a double-cousin all seem accurate... I did not have pre-conceived ethnicities based on guesses or surnames.

Pretty happy with my FTDNA calls...myself, an uncle and a double-cousin all seem accurate... I did not have pre-conceived ethnicities based on guesses or surnames.

is this equivalent to say, you didnt need the test because it suffices to look at yourselves in the mirror?

Show me the best company please.
Any results concerning identification of ethnic groups are low credible. That's all.

My wife is half Italian (Naples and Northern Italy). Here are her Southern Europe scores from various companies:

23andMe:
Italian: 32.5%
Iberian: 5.2%
Broadly Southern: 8.9%

DNA Land:
South/Central European: 33%
Southwestern European: 4.6%

FTDNA:
Iberian: 32%
Southeastern Europe: 14%
Sephardic: 14%

Is the FTDNA algorithm really that off or does this mean it’s just really hard to differentiate Southern European alleles?

In 23 and me she's 45 percent southern, DNA land she's 37 percent southern, ftdna she's 60 percent Southern. What did she get in the other categories (each test listed)?

In 23 and me she's 45 percent southern, DNA land she's 37 percent southern, ftdna she's 60 percent Southern. What did she get in the other categories (each test listed)?

To be more precise my wife is half Italian (Naples/Amalfi and Northern Italy), and half American (mostly British Ancestry). Full scores listed below with the addition of Myheritage.

23andMe:
Southern European 46.5%
Northwestern European: 43.6%
British and Irish: 20.9%
French and German: 6.3%
Broadly Northwestern: 16.5%
Broadly European: 9%
Native American: 0.5%

DNA Land:
Northwest European: 41%
Ashkenazi: 8%
Central Indoeuropean: 4.8%
North African 4.4%
Native American: 1.8%
Arab/Egyptian: 1.1%

Myheritage:
Italian: 59.3%
English: 17.3%
North and West European: 10.7%
Irish, Scottish, And Welsh: 6.1%
Ashkenazi Jewish: 5.6%
Native American: 1%

FTDNA:
British Isles: 33%
West and Central Europe: 3%
South Central Asia: <2%
Asia Minor: <2%
Ashkenazi:<1%
Oceania:<1%
East Europe: <1%
North and Central America: <1%

To be more precise my wife is half Italian (Naples/Amalfi and Northern Italy), and half American (mostly British Ancestry). Full scores listed below with the addition of Myheritage.

23andMe:
Southern European 46.5%
Northwestern European: 43.6%
British and Irish: 20.9%
French and German: 6.3%
Broadly Northwestern: 16.5%
Broadly European: 9%
Native American: 0.5%

DNA Land:
Northwest European: 41%
Ashkenazi: 8%
Central Indoeuropean: 4.8%
North African 4.4%
Native American: 1.8%
Arab/Egyptian: 1.1%

Myheritage:
Italian: 59.3%
English: 17.3%
North and West European: 10.7%
Irish, Scottish, And Welsh: 6.1%
Ashkenazi Jewish: 5.6%
Native American: 1%

FTDNA:
British Isles: 33%
West and Central Europe: 3%
South Central Asia: <2%
Asia Minor: <2%
Ashkenazi:<1%
Oceania:<1%
East Europe: <1%
North and Central America: <1%

This is what I mean when I say that I don't trust FTDNA at all.

Let's assume that someone was adopted, and was half Italian. FTDNA would steer this person totally in the wrong direction.

My Heritage isn't bad, but it overstates the percentage. DNA Land understates it, and uses the term "South Central European". Do they tell people that means Italian?

23andme needs one little bit of explanation, which is that if someone gets a large percentage of Italian and then minority bits of Iberian and Southern European, they should add all of that together, because that's very close to the percentage. Is this the v5 result? If it isn't, v5 might get even closer. It did for me.

This is what I mean when I say that I don't trust FTDNA at all.
Let's assume that someone was adopted, and was half Italian. FTDNA would steer this person totally in the wrong direction.
My Heritage isn't bad, but it overstates the percentage. DNA Land understates it, and uses the term "South Central European". Do they tell people that means Italian?
23andme needs one little bit of explanation, which is that if someone gets a large percentage of Italian and then minority bits of Iberian and Southern European, they should add all of that together, because that's very close to the percentage. Is this the v5 result? If it isn't, v5 might get even closer. It did for me.
I agree with your analysis. It was 23andMe V4.
They do mention on DNA Land that South Central European is for central/northern Italy because the samples they use are from Tuscany and Bergamo.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 18613 times.

Back