Slavic expansion and downstream clades

Milan.M

Reaction score
The best way to look at the Slavic expansion of the 6th and 7th century is to look at deeper clades of certain haplogroups dominated among South and North Slavs to possibly determine this migration.Best way to search for this migration is the Balkans,we have written sources mostly from there.As well we can separate better the more "Slavic" haplogroups from "native",most people think that I2a din is exlusively Slavic as well some clades of R1a.

Yesterday i tried to separate all downstream of I-CTS10228 Dinaric,because many people try to lump as entire haplogroup was spreading by migrating Slavs of the 6th and 7th century.

I-S17250 found among South,North Slavs and their neighbors,could be a marker of this expansion?

Ken Nordtvedt has split Dinaric into Din-N and Din-S. Din-N is older than Din-S. N=north of the Danube and S=south of the Danube River. DYS448 = 19 for S and 20 for N.
In western part of the Balkans the prevalent is the co called Dinaric south cluster with ratio of roughly 70%-south and 30% north.A SNP which defines the Dinaric-South cluster has been identified. It is PH908,The more specific I-S17250 group includes all Dinaric-South men but it also includes some Dinaric-North men.In Eastern Balkans Dinaric north is prevalent for example in Bulgaria 75% belong to Dinaric north,the largest haplotype group among Bulgarians is Dinaric-North (75%), which is prevalent among all North Slavs and may suggest a recent migration north of the Danube river. Anyway, any evidence for such migration is yet not observed in connection to modern populations as more than 90% of the traced Dinaric-North Bulgarian haplotypes belong to the SNP group Z17855, being the prevailing clade in Bulgarians, somehow significant in the western Balkans and rare elsewhere observed.These SNP groups separated before the Slavic expansion in the Balkans.According to large datasets the dominant Bulgarian Z17855 SNP is even absent in north Slavic DNA projects-source genetics of Bulgarian people.

I-Y4460 found among North Slavs,Balts,Finns etc,not a marker of Slavic expansion to the Balkans.

I-Z17855 found among South,North Slavs and their neighbors,could be marker of Slavic expansion but according to Bulgarian genetic research is almost absent in north Slavic countries,any thoughts?

I-A2512 found among some Greeks and some further subclades of it among Jewish diaspora,most probably not a marker of Slavic expansion since this clade has TMRCA OF 2100 years and is found among Greeks.

Bottom line the best candidate for such expansion will be I-S17250 a clade of I-CTS10228 Dinaric haplogroup,but why is not so prevalent in Eastern part of the Balkans?

The R1a clades,we again have a division, one clade dominating the Western part of the Balkans(Serbia,Bosnia,Montenegro etc) and other the Eastern part of the Balkans(Bulgaria,Macedonia,Thrace)

-ALhiG7WYe8.jpg

In Serbia and Bosnia the dominant clade is R1a-L1280
Croatia is mostly R1a CTS1211(aka 558) likewise Slovenia?
In Bulgaria the dominant clade is L1029 a clade of R1a m458 which is the most frequent in Poland,however L1029 is mostly found Belarus and Ukraine and not in Poland.Polish man mostly belong to L260? someone might correct me here.

Anyone interested can contribute more in this thread and help us to determine more interesting things with genetics.Anyway i am amased by this diversities of R1a and I2a din in western and eastern Balkans,if we owe them to the same expansion of same people in 6h and 7th centuries.

Last edited:
well Slavs enter to balkans from 2 'doors'

1 is the NW,
the oldest known are Carantani or Alpine Slavs from that area entered Croats Serbs etc

2 is the NE
the Severi tribe with the Bulgarians of Asparuch
Severi and Antes is the main reason why Romania is high in Slavic DNA

But there is a corridor among the Roman camps,
Slavs could over pass behind Roman camps/cities,
but difficult to 'replace' them

that corridor is from Romania to Albania via Nis

for example
we know that a Slavic tribe reach and settled at Peloponese,
but we know that did not affect the areas that passed to a significant degree.

Last edited:
The question is which clade of R1a and I2a din was coming to Balkans with Slavs? I need reasonable explanation,without lumping I2a din and R1a came with Slavs etc.. theories.

we know that a Slavic tribe reach and settled at Peloponese,
but we know that did not affect the areas that passed to a significant degree.
Yetos geneticaly speaking because you added this later,you can see little to no difference between Slavic Macedonia and Greek Macedonia and between Bulgaria and Thrace for example,in reality this are closest populations perhaps according to Y-DNA between eachother,even the same subclades of R1a is shared among them.

So this "migration" affect this places the same way perhaps?

So please stay on the topic,downstream subclades of Slavic expansion.

Yetos geneticaly speaking because you added this later,you can see little to no difference between Slavic Macedonia and Greek Macedonia and between Bulgaria and Thrace for example,in reality this are closest populations perhaps according to Y-DNA between eachother,even the same subclades of R1a is shared among them.

So this "migration" affect this places the same way perhaps?

So please stay on the topic,downstream subclades of Slavic expansion.

No left marks behind,

I sugeest find the early S Slavic Μητροπολεις, metropolis Mitrovica if I am not wrong,
1400 years gives expand,

as for R1a Z283, allow me keep precautions

In Serbia and Bosnia the dominant clade is R1a-L1280
Croatia is mostly R1a CTS1211(aka 558) likewise Slovenia?
In Bulgaria the dominant clade is L1029 a clade of R1a m458 which is the most frequent in Poland,however L1029 is mostly found Belarus and Ukraine and not in Poland.Polish man mostly belong to L260? someone might correct me here.

Anyone interested can contribute more in this thread and help us to determine more interesting things with genetics.Anyway i am amased by this diversities of R1a and I2a din in western and eastern Balkans,if we owe them to the same expansion of same people in 6h and 7th centuries.

In the map R-L1029 is found in Germany, Danemark (Zealand), Sweden too. So, someone could say it is 'Gothic'.
In Y-full we see the following though https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-L1029/

The question is which clade of R1a and I2a din was coming to Balkans with Slavs? I need reasonable explanation,without lumping I2a din and R1a came with Slavs etc.. theories.
Not sure which clade of R1a came with the Slavs to the Balkans. About I2a: after reading a little about the subject ( there is also another thread about this in these forums), I believe that I2a-Din (L621>L147.2) was already in the Balkans when Slavs arrived.

Last edited:
In the map R-L1029 is found in Germany, Danemark (Zealand), Sweden too. So, someone could say it is 'Gothic'.
In Y-full we see the following though https://www.yfull.com/tree/R-L1029/
That is right nothing indicates that is linked with Slavic expansion of 6th and 7th century specifically,considering the countries we found this clade,could be from earlier expansions,we can choose whatever.

No left marks behind,

I sugeest find the early S Slavic Μητροπολεις, metropolis Mitrovica if I am not wrong,
1400 years gives expand,

as for R1a Z283, allow me keep precautions
How no left mark behind? then who left mark behind? but only not the Slavs.

well Slavs enter to balkans from 2 'doors'

1 is the NW,
the oldest known are Carantani or Alpine Slavs from that area entered Croats Serbs etc

2 is the NE
the Severi tribe with the Bulgarians of Asparuch
Severi and Antes is the main reason why Romania is high in Slavic DNA
The distribution of clades Maciamo for example has that Serbian,Bosnian etc R1a-L1280 clade came via Poland,but in Poland we found different prevailing clade,neither the written sources suggest "two entrance",Sclavenes were "entering" from the lower Danube,Romans dealt with them on that frontier.

The distribution of clades Maciamo for example has that Serbian,Bosnian etc R1a-L1280 clade came via Poland,but in Poland we found different prevailing clade,neither the written sources suggest "two entrance",Sclavenes were "entering" from the lower Danube,Romans dealt with them on that frontier.

search Severi
aren't they Slavs?

Ok and what you want to say,entire L1029 is of Severian origin?

No I ask Severi came from where?
and Serbs from Where?

1 entrance or 2?

This thread has been viewed 9812 times.

Back