Iapygians

I think they might have a part to play in the presence of R1b-PF7562 in Southern Italy, I also think they were completely absorbed by the Greek Colonists.

I suspect that this 35% Balkan 23andme gave me comes from both the ancient settlement of both the Greeks and Illyrians (Messapian). I think it makes sense given the history of Puglia. At least for the most part. Though, I don't rule out more recent migrations in addition to the ancient migrations. Nevertheless, I find it interesting that Geneplaza gives me 0% Yamnaya, within my steppe ancestry, if that could provide any clues. Though I'm 16.8% of the other two Steppe components, and 6.2% WHG/SHG. If it was more recent wouldn't there at least be some Yamnaya from Slavic admixture brought later to the Balkans?

LARzEDS.png

Last edited:
I think they might have a part to play in the presence of R1b-PF7562 in Southern Italy, I also think they were completely absorbed by the Greek Colonists.

The Apulian tribes never allowed the Greeks to control the entire Region.
The Greeks were confined to specific areas.
The Greek Colonists were the ones Absorbed by the Apulians.

I suspect that this 35% Balkan 23andme gave me comes from both the ancient settlement of both the Greeks and Illyrians (Messapian). I think it makes sense given the history of Puglia. At least for the most part. Though, I don't rule out more recent migrations in addition to the ancient migrations. Nevertheless, I find it interesting that Geneplaza gives me 0% Yamnaya, within my steppe ancestry, if that could provide any clues. Though I'm 16.8% of the other two Steppe components, and 6.2% WHG/SHG. If it was more recent wouldn't there at least be some Yamnaya from Slavic admixture brought later to the Balkans?

LARzEDS.png

I think that's spot on, Jovialis. There's been a lot of movement from the Balkans into Puglia from ancient times. I also doubt it's recent.

This thread has been viewed 14058 times.

Back