(NEW) GenePlaza K12 Ancient Calculator Results

Going by this I guess that most people from Greece, the Balkans, and perhaps Southern Italy and Iberia are going to get East African? It's odd, because there were no Moorish invasions of the mainland. I hear some people are attributing it to very old farmer input from the Near East, but last I saw Natufians had no SSA, unless SSA is really West African, and this is Horner type ancestry that may have seeped into the Levant and from there gone with farmers into Europe.

I find it odd that I'm getting so much less Iran Neolithic/Chalcolithic/CHG here, less than people from Greece and the Balkans, and even less than Northern Europeans, when I used to get respectable amounts of "West Asian" in modern population based admixture calculators. I don't know what it really represents. I know Kurd has said that if we had more and better Levant samples those numbers might go up. I don't think that's the case with the Iran samples, though, so I don't understand the rationale for lower values for that one. I'm not on anthrogenica, so I can't ask him.

I don't think these admixtures are connected to recent historical events, it's more gedmatch-like, "Anthropological" calculator as I see it but with more fancy terms. These 1.2% East African looks like the 2% Red Sea from Gedmatch and I believe it's the same type of ancient admixture. Actually, it's very un-historical calculator - if you have let say Scythian admixture I believe it's only similar to this admixture but not a direct proof that you have it from historical Scythian tribes but could be mediated through Slavs, Turkic peoples, Goths or God knows what.
The MENA type of ancestry AFAIK is showing when there is no "catch-all" clusters like the ones in FTDNA - if you get one of these clusters and dissolve it to its composites, MENA ancestry will show behind every cluster. So I've been told. That's why Southern Europeans like us used to get such stats in FTDNA, Ancestry etc. - in the end it's connected to pre-historical movements of EEF and the likes. About the Natufians, aren't they modeled on just 4-5 samples? Who knows what may pop-up with more samples. It would be especially interesting for me to see more samples from them as I'm very distantly connected to these people on the Y-chromozome.

Me / Father / Mother

Ancient Farmers: 72.5 / 70.9 / 68.8
- West European Farmers: 29.0 / 26.5 / 33.1
- Levant: 3.0 / 4.8 / 3.1
- Neolithic-Calcolithic Iran-CHG: 7.0 / 5.8 / 6.5
- East European Farmers: 33.5 / 33.8 / 26.1

Steppe Cultures: 23.4 / 25.2 / 25.7
- Karasuk-E Scythian: 6.8 / 8.3 / 4.8
- Andronovo-Srubnaya: 7.8 / 5.9 / 10.8
- Yamnaya-Afanasievo-Poltavka: 8.7 / 11.0 / 10.1

Western European & Scandinavian Hunter Gatherers: 3.3 / 3.8 / 5.1

Eastern Non Africans: 0.6 / 0.0 / 0.0

African: 0.1 / 0.0 / 0.4
- East African: 0.1 / 0.0 / 0.4
- West African: 0.0 / 0.0 / 0.0

Southeast Eurasian: 0.0 / 0.0 / 0.0

Going by this I guess that most people from Greece, the Balkans, and perhaps Southern Italy and Iberia are going to get East African? It's odd, because there were no Moorish invasions of the mainland. I hear some people are attributing it to very old farmer input from the Near East, but last I saw Natufians had no SSA, unless SSA is really West African, and this is Horner type ancestry that may have seeped into the Levant and from there gone with farmers into Europe.
I find it odd that I'm getting so much less Iran Neolithic/Chalcolithic/CHG here, less than people from Greece and the Balkans, and even less than Northern Europeans, when I used to get respectable amounts of "West Asian" in modern population based admixture calculators. I don't know what it really represents. I know Kurd has said that if we had more and better Levant samples those numbers might go up. I don't think that's the case with the Iran samples, though, so I don't understand the rationale for lower values for that one. I'm not on anthrogenica, so I can't ask him.
North Italians don't get much west Asian by the eurogenes k13 average. It's 6.something percent.
Btw if gene plaza takes cheek swabs, blood, or samples that would be great bc I would love to know how I relate to prehistoric people. My heritage is well documented...my Irish is "real" Irish, and my Jewish is Ashkenazim with deep roots in Poland...but my Italian side isn't well documented. My dad says it's from frosinone but I'm still skeptical. But thanks to my second cousin of 3/4 south Italian 1/8 Irish 1/8 English descent (she scored 80 percent Italy/Greece from ancestry), I'm convinced that my Italian heritage is south Italian :).

So, I feel no need whatsoever to take a test to see how I relate to modern populations....then again, anyone with half a brain would expect me to get high sixties/low seventies ancient farmer in this test unless I score enough Scandinavian hunter gatherer or steppe due to my 1/4 Irish background.

Me:

ANCIENT FARMERS 74.8%

• WEST EUROPEAN FARMERS (4000-5000 years)31.2%
  • References include Neolithic genomes from Portugal, and Chalcolithic genomes from Spain. The similarity between these farmers and other Mediterranean farmers points to a rapid spread of agriculture in Europe around 7000 years ago.
  • LEVANT (4000-8000 years)4.2%
  • Based on neolithic and bronze-age period samples recovered from the Levant area in the Middle-East. The references for the bronze age Levant farmer (BA) samples were recovered from the Ain Ghazal, Jordan area and were dated to about 4300 years ago.

The first farmers of the southern Levant (Israel and Jordan) and Zagros Mountains (Iran) were strongly genetically differentiated, and each descended from local hunter-gatherers. By the time of the Bronze Age, these two populations and Anatolian-related farmers had mixed with each other and with the hunter- gatherers of Europe to drastically reduce genetic differentiation. The impact of the Near Eastern farmers extended beyond the Near East: farmers related to those of Anatolia spread westward into Europe; farmers related to those of the Levant spread southward into East Africa; farmers related to those from Iran spread northward into the Eurasian steppe; and people related to both the early farmers of Iran and to the pastoralists of he Eurasian steppe spread eastward into South Asia.
  • NEOLITHIC-CHALCOLITHIC IRAN-CHG (5000-12000 years)5.4%
  • Based on Neolithic and chalcolithic period samples recovered from Northwest Iran. The farmers from the Zagros mountain Iran region descended from one of multiple, genetically differentiated hunter-gatherer populations in southwestern Asia.

They are estimated to have separated from Early Neolithic farmers in Anatolia some 46,000 to 77,000 years ago, and show affinities to modern-day Kurd, Iranian, Pakistani and Afghan populations.

The Neolithic Iranian references used for this component, were recovered from the Kurdistan region of Iran, and appear to be around 9000 years old. The Chalcolithic Iranian references have been dated to around 5000 years old. The Caucasus Hunter Gatherers (CHG) appear to have genetically contributed to present day Europeans, W Asians, and S Asians.
  • EAST EUROPEAN FARMERS (5000-8000 years)34%
  • References consist of genomes from Turkey, Greece, and other parts of SE Europe from the Neolithic period. These represent descendants of the first farmers to colonize Europe from the Near East.

STEPPE CULTURES 25.1%

• KARASUK-E SCYTHIAN (2000-3000 years)7%
  • This cluster is based on ancient genomes from the Karasuk culture, supplemented with two Iron-Age Eastern Scythian samples. The Karasuk percentage should be interpreted as a diffusion of DNA from the Eastern Eurasian Steppe populations post Bronze Age, via Turkic expansions, as well as more subtle diffusions via NE Caucasus populations.
  • ANDRONOVO-SRUBNAYA (3000-4000 years)10.6%
  • The Andronovo culture, which are believed to have aided in the spread of Indo_European languages, is a collection of similar local Bronze Age cultures that flourished around 3000-4000 years ago in western Siberia and the west Asiatic steppe. This culture overlapped with the Srubna culture in the Volga-Ural region of Russia.
  • YAMNAYA-AFANASIEVO-POLTAVKA (4000-5000 years)7.6%
  • Believed to be among the first Indo-European language speakers. The Yamnaya genetically appear to be a fusion between the Eastern European Hunter Gatherers that inhabited the western Siberian steppe, and a populations from the Caucasus region. Descendants of the Yamnaya would later change the genetic substructure of indigenous Neolithic Europeans via invasions of Europe from the Eurasian steppe.

0.1% results African

From a quick look at the chatter about this test, it seems that the Karasuk-E Scythian score is highest among Europeans in Balts and Northern Slavs, which some are explaining as because this group left the steppe after the Celtic/Italic groups and so shared more ancestry with Iranic speaking peoples.

That doesn't answer why mine is so high. It doesn't surprise me, because, as I said, I consistently get 1-2% of something Yakut or East Asian like, and so do quite a few northwestern Italians with whom I share.

The only thing I can think of is a smidgen of Alan ancestry increasing the levels.

See:
http://www.marres.education/sarmatic_traces.htm

The Sarmatians and Alans supposedly accompanied the Langobards into Italy. This is a map of their settlements. As my father's ancestry is from around there (between Pavia* and Reggio), perhaps it's a possibility.

Sarmatian and Alan settlement in northern Italy.jpg

Ed. Between Piacenza and Reggio Emilia, not Pavia and Reggio Emilia.
View attachment 9136

Last edited:
Here is mine

• ANCIENT FARMERS
    66.1%
    • WEST EUROPEAN FARMERS (4000-5000 years)
      35.3%​
    • LEVANT (4000-8000 years)
      4.6%​
    • NEOLITHIC-CHALCOLITHIC IRAN-CHG (5000-12000 years)
      5.6%​
    • EAST EUROPEAN FARMERS (5000-8000 years)
      20.6%​

• STEPPE CULTURES
    29.2%
    • KARASUK-E SCYTHIAN (2000-3000 years)
      4.2%​
    • ANDRONOVO-SRUBNAYA (3000-4000 years)
      12.3%​
    • YAMNAYA-AFANASIEVO-POLTAVKA (4000-5000 years)
      12.7%​

• AFRICAN
    4.3%
    • EAST AFRICAN (modern)
      4.3%​
    • WEST AFRICAN (modern)
      0.0%​

• WESTERN EUROPEAN & SCANDINAVIAN HUNTER GATHERERS (4000-5000 years)
    0.5%

My Father:

ANCIENT FARMERS 72.2%

• WEST EUROPEAN FARMERS (4000-5000 years)29%

• References include Neolithic genomes from Portugal, and Chalcolithic genomes from Spain. The similarity between these farmers and other Mediterranean farmers points to a rapid spread of agriculture in Europe around 7000 years ago.

• LEVANT (4000-8000 years)5.1%
  • Based on neolithic and bronze-age period samples recovered from the Levant area in the Middle-East. The references for the bronze age Levant farmer (BA) samples were recovered from the Ain Ghazal, Jordan area and were dated to about 4300 years ago.

The first farmers of the southern Levant (Israel and Jordan) and Zagros Mountains (Iran) were strongly genetically differentiated, and each descended from local hunter-gatherers. By the time of the Bronze Age, these two populations and Anatolian-related farmers had mixed with each other and with the hunter- gatherers of Europe to drastically reduce genetic differentiation. The impact of the Near Eastern farmers extended beyond the Near East: farmers related to those of Anatolia spread westward into Europe; farmers related to those of the Levant spread southward into East Africa; farmers related to those from Iran spread northward into the Eurasian steppe; and people related to both the early farmers of Iran and to the pastoralists of he Eurasian steppe spread eastward into South Asia.
  • NEOLITHIC-CHALCOLITHIC IRAN-CHG (5000-12000 years)5.1%
  • Based on Neolithic and chalcolithic period samples recovered from Northwest Iran. The farmers from the Zagros mountain Iran region descended from one of multiple, genetically differentiated hunter-gatherer populations in southwestern Asia.

They are estimated to have separated from Early Neolithic farmers in Anatolia some 46,000 to 77,000 years ago, and show affinities to modern-day Kurd, Iranian, Pakistani and Afghan populations.

The Neolithic Iranian references used for this component, were recovered from the Kurdistan region of Iran, and appear to be around 9000 years old. The Chalcolithic Iranian references have been dated to around 5000 years old. The Caucasus Hunter Gatherers (CHG) appear to have genetically contributed to present day Europeans, W Asians, and S Asians.
  • EAST EUROPEAN FARMERS (5000-8000 years)33%
  • References consist of genomes from Turkey, Greece, and other parts of SE Europe from the Neolithic period. These represent descendants of the first farmers to colonize Europe from the Near East.

STEPPE CULTURES 27.6%

• KARASUK-E SCYTHIAN (2000-3000 years)11.9%
  • This cluster is based on ancient genomes from the Karasuk culture, supplemented with two Iron-Age Eastern Scythian samples. The Karasuk percentage should be interpreted as a diffusion of DNA from the Eastern Eurasian Steppe populations post Bronze Age, via Turkic expansions, as well as more subtle diffusions via NE Caucasus populations.
  • ANDRONOVO-SRUBNAYA (3000-4000 years)10%
  • The Andronovo culture, which are believed to have aided in the spread of Indo_European languages, is a collection of similar local Bronze Age cultures that flourished around 3000-4000 years ago in western Siberia and the west Asiatic steppe. This culture overlapped with the Srubna culture in the Volga-Ural region of Russia.
  • YAMNAYA-AFANASIEVO-POLTAVKA (4000-5000 years)5.7%
  • Believed to be among the first Indo-European language speakers. The Yamnaya genetically appear to be a fusion between the Eastern European Hunter Gatherers that inhabited the western Siberian steppe, and a populations from the Caucasus region. Descendants of the Yamnaya would later change the genetic substructure of indigenous Neolithic Europeans via invasions of Europe from the Eurasian steppe.

0.1% results African
0.1% results east non african

Im Half Campanian, Half 1800s New Brunswick + (Turkish + Lithuanian Jewish)

And here is my K11

# Population Percent
1 Neolithic 33.08
2 EHG 25.26
3 Basal 18.55
4 WHG 16.36
5 Iran-Mesolithic 3.36
6 Amerindian 1.36
7 ASI 1.19
8 African 0.85

From a quick look at the chatter about this test, it seems that the Karasuk-E Scythian score is highest among Europeans in Balts and Northern Slavs, which some are explaining as because this group left the steppe after the Celtic/Italic groups and so shared more ancestry with Iranic speaking peoples.

That doesn't answer why mine is so high. It doesn't surprise me, because, as I said, I consistently get 1-2% of something Yakut or East Asian like, and so do quite a few northwestern Italians with whom I share.

The only thing I can think of is a smidgen of Alan ancestry increasing the levels.

See:
http://www.marres.education/sarmatic_traces.htm

The Sarmatians and Alans supposedly accompanied the Langobards into Italy. This is a map of their settlements. As my father's ancestry is from around there (between Pavia and Reggio), perhaps it's a possibility.

View attachment 9181

View attachment 9136

Scythians maybe also had a relationship with the Celts, with the Hallstatt culture: "There were many tribes that filled the vast plain from the Dnieper River Valley to the edge of Mongolia, most all of them where known collectively as Scythians in the period 522-486 B. C. During their peak the Scythians penetrated into Europe as far as Hungary and East Prussia. A grave of a Scythian and possibly his family was uncovered at Hallstatt, in Upper Austria, in 1995. Ceramics belonging to the Scythians have been found in Lower Austria."

qcuhpvjznlugx.png

K12 can reveil this!

Scythians maybe also had a relationship with the Celts, with the Hallstatt culture: "There were many tribes that filled the vast plain from the Dnieper River Valley to the edge of Mongolia, most all of them where known collectively as Scythians in the period 522-486 B. C. During their peak the Scythians penetrated into Europe as far as Hungary and East Prussia. A grave of a Scythian and possibly his family was uncovered at Hallstatt, in Upper Austria, in 1995. Ceramics belonging to the Scythians have been found in Lower Austria."

qcuhpvjznlugx.png

K12 can reveil this!
This gets even more interesting every post I read. I'm afraid I didn't score any Scythian Ancestry on this calculator. However, I did score Yamna and Shrubna culture.

ANCIENT FARMERS. 54.2%

• STEPPE CULTURES32.3%
    • YAMNAYA-AFANASIEVO-POLTAVKA (4000-5000 years). 15.3%
  • WESTERN EUROPEAN & SCANDINAVIAN HUNTER GATHERERS (4000-5000 years)13.5%
  • These were the indiginous populations of Europe that substantially contributed to the genetics of modern Europeans. It is believed that these hunter gatherers arrived in Europe around 45000 years ago from the Near East.

This gets even more interesting every post I read. I'm afraid I didn't score any Scythian Ancestry on this calculator. However, I did score Yamna and Shrubna culture.

We can shake hands....mine is 0,5%

Me (Eastern Emilia/Romagna)

Ancient farmers 71.7% :

- West european farmers 25.1%
- Levant 5.3%
- Neolithic-chalcolithic Iran CHG 7.1%
- East european farmers 34.2%

Steppe cultures 21.9% :

- Karasuk-e Scythian 7.7%
- Andronovo-Srubnaya 7.5%
- Yamnaya-Afanasievo-Poltavka 6.7%

Western european & scandinavian HG 6.4%

We can shake hands....mine is 0,5%

We might need to DNA test a Scythian sample and upload it to the Geneplaza calculator to make sure. But the idea of Shrubna Culture merging with the Scythians and later Hallstatt culture does seem inticing none the less. :)

Still, my figures look pretty extreme in terms of percentages. It can't just be "Celtic", unless there's a similar discrepancy in "Celtic" fringe countries, for example. Instead, as I said, the highest percentages for this seem to be in the Baltic countries.

Steppe: 25.7
Karasuk-E Scythian 12.6
Andronovo-Scrubnaya 5.3
Yamnaya-Afanasievo-Poltavka 7.8

Also, as I said, on regular Admixture I consistently get 1.5-2% Yakut or East Asian. I'm assuming Balts get similar or even much higher percentages?

@Northener,
There's no doubt that there were Alan and Sarmatian settlements in northern Italy, as my link above shows, so I know they were there; I just don't know if there were enough of them in certain specific areas to change the percentages or proportions of steppe ancestry.

@Stuvane,
So, obviously it's not northern Italy wide.

My results-- mostly English

Ancient Farmer 54.3
West European Farmers 20.6
Levant 3.1
Neolithic-Chalcolithic Iran-CHG 2.3

Steppe Culture 30.8
Karasuk-E Scythian 10.8
Andronovo-Srubnaya 12.4
Yamnaya Afanasievo-Poltavka 7.6

Western European & Scandinavian Hunter Gatherers 14.9

These are my results:

Ancient Farmers: 70.3
Western European Farmers: 43.2%
Levant: 3.7%
Neolithic & Chalcolithic Iran: 3%
Eastern European Farmers: 20.4%

Steppe Cultures: 22.7%

Karasuk-Scythian: 5%
Andronovo-Srubnaya: 9.6%
Yamnaya-Afanasievo-Poltavka: 8.1%

​Western European & Scandinavian Hunter-Gatherers: 7%

These are my results:

Ancient Farmers: 70.3
Western European Farmers: 43.2%
Levant: 3.7%
Neolithic & Chalcolithic Iran: 3%
Eastern European Farmers: 20.4%

Steppe Cultures: 22.7%

Karasuk-Scythian: 5%
Andronovo-Srubnaya: 9.6%
Yamnaya-Afanasievo-Poltavka: 8.1%

​Western European & Scandinavian Hunter-Gatherers: 7%

Thanks for posting your results, Arbaso. Nice to see the results of someone with Basque ancestry.

Thanks for posting your results, Arbaso. Nice to see the results of someone with Basque ancestry.

Yeah I agree. So north Italians like you are pretty much 95 percent Basque or something. You got 39 percent western farmer which isn't that much less than what he scores.

^^My 4 point less Western farmer is balanced by my 8 point higher Eastern farmer, for a total of about 4 points higher total farmer for me. However, I have 3 points more steppe. Also, our Basque poster has 7% additional WHG/SHG, which I don't have. So, I don't think 95%, but not all that different.

I'm wondering if the higher Western Med farmer proportion holds true for all of northwestern Italy/Tuscany compared to not only southern Italy but northeastern Italy because of getting proportionally more Balkan diffusion.

As I said, I've often gotten Oracle matches with Iberian populations. I'm sure if there were samples from southeastern France those would show up as well.

I spent a summer semester in Barcelona, and have visited since, and just my subjective impression from being able to understand Catalan, to the food, to the phenotypes of the people and their behavioral patterns, there's a swath of similar ancestry all the way from Catalonia through Liguria.

Interestingly, in Regio's family, who come from quite a bit further north than I do, they have about the same amount of "steppe" (although not that disproportional Scythian) as I do, but unlike the Basque result and mine, they don't have that have Western Med farmer. It's much more Eastern farmer, and they have more Iran like ancestry although it's still at very low levels. Also, they have a bit of that additional WHG/SHG. I wonder if that could be attributable to the Langobards (not the Alans or Sarmatians) absorbing that ancestry along with steppe ancestry?

Ancient Farmers: 52.1%
West European: 24.5%
Levant: 3.4%
Neolithic-Chalcolithic Iran-CHG: 2.0%
East European Farmers: 22.2%

Steppe Cultures: 33.5%
Karasuk-E Scythian: 9.1%
Andronovo Srubnaya: 14.8%
Yamnaya-Afansavievo-Poltavka: 9.6%

WHG-SHG: 13.4%

Eastern Non Africans: 0.9%

Southeast Eurasian: 0.1%

This thread has been viewed 134136 times.

Back