Is Christmas or New Year more important for you ?

Which do you celebrate more : Xmas or New Year ?

• I am European : Christmas

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • I am European : New Year

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • I am North American : Xmas

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I am North American : New Year

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I am Latin American : Xmas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am Latin American : New Year

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I am Asian : Xmas

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I am Asian : New Year

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • I am Australian/New Zelander : Xmas

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I am Australian/New Zelander : New Year

• Other country : Xmas

• Other country : New Year

• Total voters
Christmas! The food, the good spirit, the gifts, the tree, the ... lights and colors? Santa!!! *acts like a kid on christmas eve*

... New Years eve is fun because of fireworks, but only if I get to light the fuse. And I always get depressed like hell whenever I start thinking about the new year and what is to come. Feels like time has passed by without me even noticing :bawling:

Christmas is usually not a big deal for my family. The same goes for New Years. Every Christmas it is just me, my Mother, and my Father opening gifts, eating ham for dinner, and just watching television. For me Christmas is important because it is a time of peace and tranquility. Not only that, but my Grandfather died on Christmas back in '91. So I guess you could say it is kind of a somber holiday for me. New Years holds little value to me as it just seems to be another excuse for excess drinking, sex, and resolutions that are nothing but hollow promises anyway. Not only that, but my Grandmother died on New Years Eve as well. My Aunt's birthday is also on New Year's day. So emotionally it is like a roller coaster ride for me and my family on those two holidays. I guess that's why we really don't do much because of it.

Doc :wave:

This is a tough one. On my mother's side of the family, Christmas is a big deal, and we always gather together and eat a massive homecooked meal(I can thank my redneck cousins for that one)! My father's side of the family is kind of tied between the two(the good food and family of Christmas or the fine wine and good friends of New Year's). I like Christmas because of the whole family get-together feel and the good will! I like New Year's because of the feeling of wiping the slate clean and starting a fresh, new begining.

Ultimately, though, Christmas wins out, simpley because of being able to see my family again and getting a massive helping of turkey n' taters! :)

ummm...christmas and new year are sorta even for me...when i was little we'd celebrate st nicolas. And that was the biggest celebration coz i'd get gifts:) with cristmas we'd have a tree and all but that was it. I voted new year though, i like fireworks:D

isayhello said:
Christmas! The food, the good spirit, the gifts, the tree, the ... lights and colors? Santa!!! *acts like a kid on christmas eve*
... New Years eve is fun because of fireworks, but only if I get to light the fuse. And I always get depressed like hell whenever I start thinking about the new year and what is to come. Feels like time has passed by without me even noticing :bawling:

In Australia fireworks are not allowed, except if you work for the office that plans the city's New Year celebrations. What the Aussies do is go to watch fireworks instead of lighting the fireworks by themselves. Most Aussies would bring alcohol and make a picnic on the park while they watch fireworks and celebrating the New Year.

Going back to my story, when I was a child in Malaysia Chinese New Year was the most important holiday for us. When we moved to Australia my mother introduced Christian religions on her kids, and as a result Xmas becomes more important than Chinese New Year.

But Chinese New Year is still important. Western New year is also important to us; we would usually go out to celebrate as a family. For Xmas and Chinese New Year eves we cook ourselves but for Xmas and Chinese New Year we go out to eat.

After I move to France, I think Xmas is the most important one, my husband buys a lot of Xmas presents for his nephews and god daughter and god son. We go to my in laws for Xmas.

The French don't eat turkeys for Xmas unlike the Americans or British. They eat wild animals like bambi, fois gras (see picture below), and smoke salmon...etc for Xmas. Xmas is basically petite meals with lots of courses, I usually ended with stomach aches during Easter, New Year or Xmas, too much rich foods in comparison with my usual diet.

fluteifood2.jpg

I don't get to celebrate Chinese New Year here because there is nobody to celebrate it with. When I bring my husband to Australia we will bring it back because my family is there. Then we will celebrate many things, very international.:v:

In New Year's eve my husband likes to feed me with glasses of champagnes then I get drunk and he likes it because he says when I am drunk I am funny and adorable! :cute: :romance:

For the previous New Year's Eve we got invited to his god daughter's place, we played fireworks and ate French foods. Again stomach-ache!:bluush:

:cracker: :dance: :gulp: :87: :86: :13: :90:

New year's eve is the mostly I like, than other events in this world. I usually celebrate my new year eve at the beach club, in a tropical island (no snow). all night party, crowded peoples, loud & very good music . until 8 morning when the party is over, I came back home.
Many crazy & crowded peoples there. I was so happy. biggest party in that place, with indoor & outdoor arenas. and of course many good DJ's
I always celebrate my New Year there, never go 2 another place cause I was afraid will be dissapointed.
I love crowded party without fall asleep, all night. specially 4 new year. I never fall asleep in New year's eve.

in Christmas, I only eat in my favorite cafe and go 2 the church

I am a secular humanist, therefore Christmas has absolutely no importance to me. However, New Year is indeed very important although I am not keen on some extreme ways of celebration.

Of course Christmas. It's a very nice atmosphere and I associate only very positive and nice things with it. The christmas tree, the decoration, the wonderful and magical songs and films, being together with the family and more. Presents are not that important since I'm no child anymore. The best is just the whole atmosphere and a great feeling. Has no religious aspect to me, only traditional.

New Year sucks. You visit other people and get drunk, you waste money for loud and dangerous fireworks. I love beer and have nothing against getting drunk sometimes, but this is no celebration time to me.

It used to be Christmas, with all the traditions, good food, presents etc., even if my family was not religious. But for over 20 years now, neither of the holydays have been important to me.

Yule. New Year could be said to be a part of Yule.

I love them both. Christmas is important because it brings holidays and an excuse to meet and wish your family and friends. Christmas inspires us to leave all our sorrows and bad things behind and move on with new enthusiasm in new year. New year bring a new beginning with it. We make resolutions and wishes for new year.

Hi Atul. What calendar(s) are used in India in everyday life? Is there any Hindu calendar in use too?

Being raised in a Christian country, with the Christian culture, Christmas has always been the most important for me, but not for religious reasons. For me, Christmas is when the family comes together to enjoy each others company. There is joy in seeing wonderment in the eyes of the little children when gifts are given and pleasure in their excitement. The New Year is just another measurement of time reminding me of my own mortality and the fact that I won't see a lot more New Years.

We usually celebrate Christmas more than NY in our family. And there are more Christmas traditions that are observed in our family.

Christmas is more for extended-family gathering, and we have a large dinner, and exchange presents at midnight. Not once in my life have we ever waited until the morning to open gifts. I have a lot of cousins around my age, and when we were small someone would usually dress up as Santa Claus and hand out gifts. Christmas day, we would go to another relative's house and have another big dinner.

For New Year's, I spend the earlier part of the day with my family, and have yet another large dinner. But by 7:30 pm, I meet up with friends, and either go to a party or a night club/bar and watch the ball drop on TV. I don't live far from Time Square, but it seems way too hectic to travel to NYC for that event.

I think I like Christmas better, even though I might have more fun on New Year's.

I have no urge whatsoever to be at Times Square during the ball drop bc
a) I'm not a fan of that area. Advertisements galore plus New York City is overrated to begin with.
b) I'm not open to freezing by butt off while not being able to go anywhere else due to the crowd and listening to music I don't care about.

Happy New Year [emoji322][emoji322][emoji322]

Both really and why not. I spend chrismas with family and new years eve with friends somewhere in London

In Russia, do they celebrate New Years, then Christmas in January? Then they have their Julian Calendar New Years a week after their Julian Calendar Christmas. So they celebrate one New Year's Day and Christmas Day, with the option of celebrating an extra Christmas and an extra New Year's Day.

Personally, Yalda/Nardugan is more important then both (21st December)

This thread has been viewed 75527 times.

Back