Can men wear skirt and be accepted openly in the public?

Can you accept men wear skirts openly in society.

• Yes

Votes: 73 60.3%
  • No

Votes: 48 39.7%

• Total voters
Well, I don't see any skirt wearing men here in Philly, save for the occasional crossdresser. HA!! Me? I don't have a problem with that, to each his own when it comes to fashion. A question, Kinsao, what sort of underwear do kilt-wearin' men sport? Boxers or briefs? Inquiring minds wanna know!
:D

I saw a picture not too long ago that would disagree with you Kinsao - those guys certainly weren't wearing anything under their kilts. I would prove it, but I don't want to spoil the family atmosphere :D

:shock: please prove it :evil: feminine men in skirt looks good. :cool: if i see any men walking on the streets wearing a skirt, my respect for him would increase because he isn't afraid to wear whatever he wants.

-rika- shinya` said:
if i see any men walking on the streets wearing a skirt, my respect for him would increase because he isn't afraid to wear whatever he wants.

Same here! Here in the capital i saw some men wearing skirts! Looks so cool! :cool:

No. Men cannot wear skirts and be accepted openly by the general public.

That said, I'm willing to bet certain "publics" are more accepting than others.

I'd wear a skirt.
Just one that if worn can give me some feminity, but still balance out with my miniscule amount of masculinity.

Basically I mean, I'd love to use it as an integral part of a outfit I would wear, adding in a little flair of my own.

In other words; something like a Hakama, long, or humble.
I have no problem with transsexuals, but I don't want to get mistaken for well...a dragqueen or something.
Ya know?
USA_3_n.jpg

Something like this^
However, I personally think I would look good on a skinner type like me
:)

Tsuyoiko said:
I saw a picture not too long ago that would disagree with you Kinsao - those guys certainly weren't wearing anything under their kilts. I would prove it, but I don't want to spoil the family atmosphere :D

Y'know, I think I read somewhere that kilt wearin' men often go commando. YEEK!!! Can you imagine the commotion on a windy day? The mind absolutely boggles! And there's no need to provide proof, Ms. Tsuyoiko! That would certainly spoil my appetite!
:shock:

You most certainly can wear a hakama in public in Japan and be accepted. It's not exactly a skirt, but the same basic premise. You would probably even get quite a few earnest compliments.

Of course if you're non-Asian looking, it might be a bit awkward.

I don't really care what people wear. If a guy wants to wear a skirt, then I say go for it. As long as their not frequently crossing their legs right in front of me.

Although I don't care. Many other people find it unacceptable since it's usually seen on women. But hey, Whatever floats their boat eh?

Men in Skirts

"Skirt" is a word with many meanings. Like the skirt around the bottom of a bed, or "skirting the issue" or any number of definitions. It's just a word, it's not a curse word, it doesn't imply that anything or anyone is good or bad when using it.

Personally, for the purpose of this thread, I prefer the definition of M.U.G. This is a well known in some circles definition. It means Male Unbifurcated Garments... Bifurcated Garments are like trousers, Bi = Two legs covered separately in cloth tubes. Unbifurcated is not Bi, so it's two legs covered together in one single cloth tube. When considering Japan alone, there are plenty of Unbifurcated garments worn by men. Not only is the Hakama a very loose pair of trousers, but there are also Hakama that are not trousers but more skirtlike, usually worn in weddings. Then there's the Kimonos, worn by both men and women and they are definitely a skirted garment for both. True they do layer over each other to achieve the effect of a skirted look, but in the end it's still a skirted look.

The actual requirement of ANY body covering is to make sure that "modesty" is assured. Whether this is done by a pair of trousers and a shirt, a kimono, a Tongan Tupena, a Fijian Sulu, an African Kikoi, an Indian Dhoti, an Indonesian or Malaysian sarong, a Hawaiian Kain, or a skirt made to the exacting measurements of a man, which by the way are far different than a womans body shape. Believe it or not, there's a country in this world, where it is illegal for a man to wear anything but a dress. It's Bhutan, and all males are required (under penalty of imprisonment) to wear the National garb, which is a dress like outfit. Try talking any Buddhist Monk out of his MUG...good luck..

I was in a movie in 1972 filmed in the South and Central Pacific where I learned to wear native garb, that consisted of the Tongan Tupena, the Fijian Sulu and the Bikini Islanders Sarong. I still wear them. I also wear custom made for my shape men's skirts. I wear them everywhere. I no longer own a single pair of trousers. I am NOT gay, pure Hetero Male here, I don't wear womens clothes or accessories. No hi heels, no makeup, no pantyhose, no bra, I'm not trying to look like anything but a very "Comfortable Man" wearing Unbifurcated garments and one other thing I no longer have ...is a sharp, denim or khaki cloth edged weapon slicing vertically up into my scrotum. Also known as a CROTCH. Years ago, at meetings or dinners wearing trousers, I sadly remember all the times I spent standing up 20 times a night to shake out my privates that were wedged between cloth and leg or just being sawed at by the crotch itself.....Now, no crotch and no 20 stand ups a night. GOD what a difference. By the way, all men don't automatically have hairy legs. I don't, and I never remove hair any of the places men sometimes remove it from except my face. I am a light haired person, blond hair, no chest hair, no leg hair, very little arm hair, a tiny mustache I haven't even trimmed in 40 years.

I am also part Scottish, the Fraser Clan, I've never worn a kilt and never intend to. They are 8 yards of heavy wool. I live in a warm climate in the florida keys. I'd die in a kilt, fall right over and pass out. Folks in this thread have said that if they wore a kilt in a cold climate their orbs would freeze and fall off...balony...Scotland is a very cold country. Average temp in the winter is 20 above zero and those heavy woolen kilts keep Scots nice and cozy.

The most important thing I have to say is this....a Skirted garment is just a piece of cloth intended to modestly cover our private areas. That's all..not a fashion statement, not a sexual connotation, just a piece of required modesty cloth. I am, (what they say in the UK) "Just a bloke in a skirt" BIG DEAL, ..............................NOT.:) :cool: :relief:

Comfortable Man said:
Then there's the Kimonos, worn by both men and women and they are definitely a skirted garment for both. True they do layer over each other to achieve the effect of a skirted look, but in the end it's still a skirted look.
Are you referring to yukata? Yes, they, too, are most definately worn in public (in the summer) by a large number of men. I invite all members to come to any Obon festival in August, and you can see for yourself!

Kimono technically just means "clothes", you know. I think that in popular usage, though, kimono generally only refers to women's garb. For men's clothing, usually a more specific term is preferred.

Frank D. White said:
I'd say unless he has a Scottish accent and carries bag pipes, no. Speaking of bags, with wind chills of 30 below zero, mine would freeze and drop off in a skirt !!
LOL...Frank...
I think he hit the nail on the head. At least in America. Though if you're stading outside in a skirt in that cold of weather, I think that wouldn't affect you really, it's only after when you go inside to warm up that it might be a problem.

Well... I can say that in Brighton it wouldn't be that much of a problem...
Still as long as the person's not trying to hit on me I don't care at all ^^

I?ve got a kilt but I always feel a little uneasy if I have to wear it.:bluush:

When I was just out of high school, I wore a kilt in our community theatre's rendition of "Brigadoon". Very breezy!

aaa how cute! still got that picture Mika... I have never seen a Photo of you in the picture section... when is that coming up!!!

Kommando Kilt wearing

Commando, or regimental, or traditional, or "Ladies from Hell" look is traditional in Scotland. The "Ladies from Hell" is what the Germans called the Scottish Regiments in World War 1...They'd never seen a soldier in a "dress" before and didn't know what to think or do when they saw Scots in kilts shooting at them. By the time the Germans shot back they were decimated.

Most Scots wear no underwear at all under their kilts. If asked "What's under your kilt" they often say things like: "My feet" or if asked "What's worn under the kilt" the answer is.... "Nothing is worn, it's all in good working order". Typically a Scot will answer that question in either a flippant manner or be ready to re-arrange your face for asking it.

Check out the movies "Braveheart" or "Rob Roy" to see what actually "Isn't" worn under the kilt. :cool:

Speaking of the Germans tho, today, there is far more heterosexual, masculine skirt wearing in Germany than any other country. Funny how things change, ain't it? :p

This thread has been viewed 166438 times.

Back