Can men wear skirt and be accepted openly in the public?

Can you accept men wear skirts openly in society.

• Yes

Votes: 73 60.3%
  • No

Votes: 48 39.7%

• Total voters
My guy friend wears a skirt. Although, it's a kilt.... he gets good reactions from people though. A lot of people has said he's cool, because of it.

A guy could wear a skirt, all depending on how he looked, and what was his purpose with it. If he wasn't looking good in it, and walked around like 'oh damn, I'm wearing a skirt! People are hating me... *hides*' then he wouldn't look good in it. BUt then if... say... *chooses random name* Miyavi wore it, as he's done, it looks plain cool and wonderful! :love: A skirt doesn't have to be feminine, not at all...

I work at a ren faire and we see men in skirts all the time :cool:

Not so long ago it was 'weird' for women to wear trousers. I think men can look good in skirts (e.g. Axl Rose) - and they can look bloody awful - (e.g. Jean Paul Gautier, David Beckham). I have only known one man (he was a boy really) who wore a skirt, and he looked really cool, but he was a goth, black eyeliner, nail polish, the lot. I think it looks cool with the goth style. I'm not big on kilts (as worn by Scottish men) though.

Aha, now I get Jarvis - he's just running around purposefully saying things that are wrong, just to get a reaction out of people. Because everyone knows the Scots wear kilts, not the Irish - that was a clear givaway. But often his posts aren't funny - I think he needs to take "Comedy 101", and take some tips from the 'Daily Show' before posting more crappy posts.

I think isayhello is right - alot has to do with the confidence and attitude they wear skirts with. And Tsuyoiko is so right about it being weird for women to wear trousers not so long ago.

Scott Thompson had a theory about this - women's status is lower than mens, therefore when a woman wears men's clothes it makes her status go higher, but when a man wears women's clothes it lowers it. That's why it's more acceptable for women. But given time, maybe another 100 million years or so, it could be ok for men to wear dresses and skirts. Tho for some of us like me it's ok now.

I'd be totally fine with it if men wore skirts. Hell, Women wear pants, right? And that was basically banned like what, 90 years ago?

There is a guy in my school who wears skirts alot...he gets weird looks, but people are getting used to it, i think. (Prob not, though....my sister, who represents basically the thinking of the majority, is totally freaked out by him and wants something done about his skirt wearing <ban it>. I don't think that kinda thinking is right....:bawling: We should all be free to wear skirts if we wanna! :bawling:)

f**k no...

atleast if you want me to not pre judge him.. i personaly dont give a crap how he dresses.. but by first impression im going thing think something is wrong with him.. and if i had little kids i would automaticaly keep them away. men in tradition dont wear skirts..

a kilt in scotland would be acceptable.. but a kilt in small town america is not.

Do as the romans do.. i guess..

Dutch Baka said:
hihi,,, well not in my country.... or you should be transexual, or it should be a bachlor party gna gna....
but i would love to wear a Kilt some day...... ( i already wore a dress.... i have pictures of it... ...
oz%20077.jpg

... uuuh im the guy with the mask .... sorry i just had a funny moment about 1 year ago....

JEEEEE-ZUS!!! How in hell did I miss that??? Dude, you looked like Rey Mysterio after a sex change operation!!!
:shock:

As for the topic of the moment, hey, I have no problem with men wanting to wear a skirt. To each their own!
:)

I'm sure I must have said this already on this thread, but it's a fashion, and fashions change over time... :)

Actually I think fashions are becoming more unisex.

I personally would 'accept' (whatever that's supposed to mean) a man wearing a skirt in public. Of course, it also depends on his demeanour and behaviour! If he's behaving like a total nutcake, I might give him a wide berth. On the other hand, if he appears rather stylish and confident, I'd probably just think he was a cutting-edge snappy dresser. :blush:

Both men and women should have the freedom to wear whatever they wish. What you wear is very much expression of self and should not be cut down to narrow minded views of society. A man should be able to wear makeup, have long hair, wear a skirt/dress and no one should go up in arms about it. 'Cause seriously, what's so wrong about it? It's just like you shouldn't screams bloody murder when a girl doesn't wear makeup, has short hair, wears baggy shirts, and baggy jeans or just dresses like what society's view of a "man" is in general.
malice2.jpg
kate6.jpg

Last edited:
I should point out that the question in the title of the thread (Can society accept...) is quite different than the question asked in the thread itself (Can you accept)

Society works more on perception than reality, so even if every member of a society were individually OK with it, a percieved cultural opinion against it would still hold sway.

As for my answers:

Can I accept it?

Yes, wear whatever you wan't--what's it got to do with me?

Can Society accept it?

As a man who owns a hakama, I can honestly say: No, it can't. :D

Conformity is a requirement of any society, and anything out of the ordinary is automaticly shunned and rejected.

Of course, what is considered "ordinary" depends on the society.

Lots of men look good in skirts. :)

Plus, skirts are nicer to wear in hot weather... for example, the long robe-type-thingies that men sometimes wear in Arab countries. :atsui:

Kinsao said:
skirts are nicer to wear in hot weather...
That is so true! I always feel sorry for men in the summer - well, they can wear shorts I suppose, but not really to the office - but I can stay cool in a nice floaty skirt! :cool:

Who I feel sorry for during the summer is the women who cant take their shirts off...

...and the guys who don't get to see the women take their shirts off. :evil:

Seriously though--it's a pointless double-standard that I find sexist and offensive. Why should women be allowed to oggle bare chested members of the opposite sex at the beach and on network TV and not give us the same opportunity?

What happened to equality of the sexes?!

Or are nipples only safe when they're vestigial?

I don't really care if a man wears a skirt or not.....I mean it is their choice.

In scotland.......is it true that men, who wearing the kilts, wear nothing under their kilts?

Well, I used to work out of doors, I was the only woman working there, and I was allowed to take my shirt off if I choose... :smug: :lol:

@ Puff: uhh, that's not true. Kilt-wearing men do wear underwear underneath their kilts! :cool:

This thread has been viewed 166384 times.

Back