Stalking "The Thing"

Hachiko,

You should know I am fully aware of your real identity and that I am now placing you on my ignore list.

Satori

If you decide to ignore me, Satori, that's your choice. But it's your loss and your ignorance of opinion as well.

re: the FCC/FBI tapping internet ish
yeah there was something about that on techtv today, basicly it comes down to the same thing as tapping phones, need warrants and court orders etc. but since they cant really force all software makers, especially non-US, to build in the hooks, they want ISPs to do it.
http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/shownotes/story/0,24330,3633130,00.html
theres 6 links to info about halfway down the page.

im still with ben franklin on this issue, at least i think it was he who said "any fool willing to give up a little liberty for a little security will get neither."

jeisan said:
im still with ben franklin on this issue, at least i think it was he who said "any fool willing to give up a little liberty for a little security will get neither."

Well said, Jeisan!!

Just to nip Satori's misunderstanding of my first post here in the bud, everyone, I also found some articles on this as well:

Mar. 18 - Unbelievable mortgage rates, inexpensive prescriptions drugs and quick fixes for losing inches are just some of the unwanted offers that end up in e-mail boxes daily.

At home, people's Internet service providers such as AOL block spam, said Jeff Rodemyer, owner of J. R. Computer Technologies in Springettsbury Township.

In business, he said, a company typically implements programs to block spam.

The first anti-spam legislation went into effect Jan. 1, but the Pew Internet and American Life Project released study findings today that show Internet users remain frustrated.

Miami Herald

Who should run the Internet?

It's no longer merely an academic question. Since 1998, responsibility for overseeing domain names and addresses has rested with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), a nonprofit group based in Marina Del Ray, Calif.

ICANN has enjoyed notable successes in the last six years. It has created a way to resolve domain name disputes, formalized some ad hoc arrangements the U.S. government created and approved a handful of top-level domains like .aero and .museum. In between, ICANN has weathered outbreaks of congressional enmity and, occasionally, outright hostility from foreign governments.

But now, the governance structure of the Internet may have reached an inflection point. ICANN is being assailed domestically by VeriSign, which filed a federal lawsuit last month, complaining that it has been repeatedly thwarted in trying to make money off its government-granted right to run the master .com and .net database. Internationally, ICANN is fending off a power grab from the United Nations, which has wanted more involvement with the Internet, ever since one of its agencies in 1999 proposed a tax of 1 cent per every 100 e-mail messages.

CNet.com

And for the record everyone, just because I said in my first the report was exaggerated didn't mean that it wasn't valid at all. It was true, but I feel that how it was written made it look like it was a life-or-death situation, almost Matrix-like.

Geezz Hach, You're Not On Trial....

let the thead scab over instead of peeling it off & making it bleed. Everyone can have a differnt opinion. If we took a vote on every thread they would all probably come out 49% for, 49% against. 1% don't know, 1% don't care.
Let's move on to the next argument. The ol guy gets un-nerved by up-set feelings and has to take a nitro tab!

Frank

:shock:

Frank D. White said:
Geezz Hach, You're Not On Trial.... let the thead scab over instead of peeling it off & making it bleed. Everyone can have a differnt opinion. If we took a vote on every thread they would all probably come out 49% for, 49% against. 1% don't know, 1% don't care.
Let's move on to the next argument. The ol guy gets un-nerved by up-set feelings and has to take a nitro tab!

Frank

:shock:

Well said. That's why I said previously...

Hachiko said:
Again, you are entitled to your own opinion, and I personally feel it should be okay and fair for people to have different viewpoints on various issues such as this.

Hachiko said:
...And for the record everyone, just because I said in my first the report was exaggerated didn't mean that it wasn't valid at all. It was true, but I feel that how it was written made it look like it was a life-or-death situation, almost Matrix-like.

ill agree it does sound propaganda-ish, but i hardly believe "the thing" is a "balance between privacy and security."

EscaFlowne said:
Frank, thats the best thing i have heard lately. :D Now the footstepping on american privacy was inevitable. Of course its not right. It seems like they are going.....wait i will finish this tomorrow. I gotta go. sorry guys. :relief:

Like i was saying earlier, it was just a matter of time that something like this would happen. Especially with the increase of checking out everyone that would leave the country to entering th country-don't you think that they would also be tyring to investigate ways of catching a criminal before he makes the wrong decision. Its just like "Minority Report". But the privacy issues come up, Really a person has no privacy because if America thinks it can save the people as a whole nothing is private.
Is it wrong to stockhouse loads of information about a person againts there will...YES. Could the information be used in a way that would damage a person life...YEs! Can we trust the people taking the information...No..I mean look they had to change the name of it to something else just so as not to take heat in the public eye! Its like they believe Americans are just going to be quite lil auomatons that will let there lives be recorded...and looking for American terrorist??? Why would Americans try to destroy there own country :mad: The gov. is in a completely wrong area for starters-though some americans of course have a different nationality of course, it just seems like they have thier efforts pointint the wrong direction.. IT amazes me, that the people America puts its privacy...its safety in can't even tell the truth.... and that only if they've got nothing to hide. :note:

jeisan said:
WEll said!!!!

Just some rambling by me...it probally would have been put together better if i would have finished yesterday. :note: :relief:

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question

Okay everyone, here's a quick question from me,

Is the U.S. the only country that would go this far to ruin the privacy of others for the sake of liberty, or have other nations today done something similar to this?

This thread has been viewed 12466 times.

Back