Pure? Coke's Attempts to Sell Tap Water ...

bossel said:
Satori, before you post something like this you should check an urban legends website like snopes:
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

Excerpt:
"Coca-Cola contains less citric acid than orange juice does, and the concentration of phosphoric acid in Coke is far too small (a mere 11 to 13 grams per gallon of syrup, or about 0.20 to 0.30 per cent of the total formula) to dissolve a steak, a tooth, or a nail overnight. (Much of the item will dissolve eventually, but after a day or two you'll still have most of the tooth, a whole nail, and one very soggy t-bone.)"

Thanks for the link, Bossel. While I can't personally vouch for the nail and the tooth experiments, I do know that back in the '60s some people I knew performed the meat experiment with coke. It was gone in 48 hours. Not sure if it was steak, though! I just remember it being beef. I guess that lends new meaning to the joke, "Where's the beef?" :D Anyway, it's good to know of the Snopes site, so thanks for that.

I know that Coke can be useful in car repair. :smash: The old East German cars called Trabant (Trabi) with a 2 stroke engine had some problems that could be cured by careful appliance of cola.

Have never heard of this beef experiment before, though. But, well, acid! I don't mind, as long as it tastes good. Most often I drink juice (which contains acid, too), anyway.

bossel said:
I know that Coke can be useful in car repair. :smash: The old East German cars called Trabant (Trabi) with a 2 stroke engine had some problems that could be cured by careful appliance of cola.

Have never heard of this beef experiment before, though. But, well, acid! I don't mind, as long as it tastes good. Most often I drink juice (which contains acid, too), anyway.

I didn't know that about the cars. Interesting. Personally, I love Coke and prefer it over Pepsi whenever I drink soft drinks. But like you, I tend to drink juice more often. There's just too much sugar in Coke and Pepsi.

actually even the beef one is false, they did an episode of mythbusters on all the coke things. they left the hunk of meat in there alot longer than 48 hours.
the only thing it did really well was clean chrome.

jeisan said:
actually even the beef one is false, they did an episode of mythbusters on all the coke things. they left the hunk of meat in there alot longer than 48 hours.
the only thing it did really well was clean chrome.

I know people that performed that experiment and it worked in 48 hours!

Oh, well the water is the most interesting thing to me, I need to drink more! :p

next time i eat steak ill get a hunk and put it in a glass of coke for 2 days. im fairly sure it will still be there. on the show they left it in the coke long enough for it to start rotting, like weeks and it was still there, wasnt even that big of a piece.
i mean if your friends put some small sliver of meat in the coke then yeah maybe it would disappear, but i doubt a 1/2 x 1/2 x 1 inch piece would be gone after only 48 hours.

I have the same doubts about dissolving a steak as Jeisan. But I don't have any money to waste, so I won't try to prove anything.

Just yesterday a new study was published in Germany. All acidic drinks, like orange juice or cola, damage the enamel. If you drink stuff like this regularly your teeth may be damaged irreparably, in a way that small parts of the enamel break away.
The more acid the drink & the more often you drink it, the worse.

The article (only German, sorry):
http://www.rp-online.de/public/article/nachrichten/wissenschaft/medizin/44053

jeisan said:
next time i eat steak ill get a hunk and put it in a glass of coke for 2 days. im fairly sure it will still be there. on the show they left it in the coke long enough for it to start rotting, like weeks and it was still there, wasnt even that big of a piece.
i mean if your friends put some small sliver of meat in the coke then yeah maybe it would disappear, but i doubt a 1/2 x 1/2 x 1 inch piece would be gone after only 48 hours.

Thanks, Jeisan. This will be a fun experiment to find out what really happens. Who knows, maybe I have been lied to all these years?!! Either way, we'll soon find out. So let us all know as soon as you get the results! And thanks for doing this! :)

bossel said:
I have the same doubts about dissolving a steak as Jeisan. But I don't have any money to waste, so I won't try to prove anything.

Just yesterday a new study was published in Germany. All acidic drinks, like orange juice or cola, damage the enamel. If you drink stuff like this regularly your teeth may be damaged irreparably, in a way that small parts of the enamel break away.
The more acid the drink & the more often you drink it, the worse.

The article (only German, sorry):
http://www.rp-online.de/public/article/nachrichten/wissenschaft/medizin/44053

Fortunately, I don't drink any acidic drinks on a regular basis. Yikes.

A rather small piece of meat you used, Jeisan. But it should be interesting to see the result. Will you check only after 2 days or also in between?

Satori said:
Fortunately, I don't drink any acidic drinks on a regular basis. Yikes.
It seems hard to avoid. A lot of juices are acidic.
I don't know if it was you who told this here about chlorine in drinking water. That can be as hazardous for your teeth as cola.

You are a vegetarian, is that correct? Then your teeth might even be in greater danger than mine:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1224498.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2995209.stm

"But overall, the researchers found that many of these teas eroded tooth enamel.
In fact, some were up to three times more damaging than orange juice.
"Many of the herbal teas tested were found to be more erosive than orange juice," the researchers said. "

Oh well, I don't think the situation for our teeth is as bad as it seems, but I take care in so far as waiting at least 1/2 hour before I brush my teeth after eating fruits or drinking juice.

BTW, here is nice little Powerpoint presentation of some pupils who made an experiment regarding the effects of orange juice, Coke & Gatorade on teeth:
http://webs.wichita.edu/ubms/2003 Projects/4Kristina2.ppt
Result: Orange juice is worst.

bossel said:
A rather small piece of meat you used, Jeisan. But it should be interesting to see the result. Will you check only after 2 days or also in between?

aye, well i guess i wanna give it the best chance of actually doing something, if a piece that small doesnt dissolve then it proves nothing bigger would and that the whole thing is false.
ill prolly check in between, as of now the syrup and water are starting to separate and theres some floaties in there. the meat kinda looks as if its getting cooked, its no longer red, but looks like its still the same size.

bossel said:

It seems hard to avoid. A lot of juices are acidic.
I don't know if it was you who told this here about chlorine in drinking water. That can be as hazardous for your teeth as cola.

You are a vegetarian, is that correct? Then your teeth might even be in greater danger than mine:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1224498.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2995209.stm

"But overall, the researchers found that many of these teas eroded tooth enamel.
In fact, some were up to three times more damaging than orange juice.
"Many of the herbal teas tested were found to be more erosive than orange juice," the researchers said. "

Oh well, I don't think the situation for our teeth is as bad as it seems, but I take care in so far as waiting at least 1/2 hour before I brush my teeth after eating fruits or drinking juice.

BTW, here is nice little Powerpoint presentation of some pupils who made an experiment regarding the effects of orange juice, Coke & Gatorade on teeth:
http://webs.wichita.edu/ubms/2003 Projects/4Kristina2.ppt
Result: Orange juice is worst.

I'm a bit skeptical about the herbal tea claim. A person would have to drink a LOT of herbal tea for that to occur, and I don't think most people drink that much.

As far as the vegetarian claim, I know that to be bogus. Interestingly enough, I have found the opposite to be true. Every single dentist office I have ever visited has commented about how great my teeth are due to be being a vegetarian. Some dentists even brought in their office staff to look at my teeth as an example of healthy living! It was weird ... like I was on "show" or something. But I never had any cavities and my teeth hardly ever needed cleaning. The cleaning part had to do with not eating meat, while the no cavities part had to do with the fact that my parents kept sugars and sweetened foods away from me and my two older sisters when we were children. I remember my mother telling me that she knew it was important to keep a child away from sweetened foods, especially up until the age of six or so. For some reason, being exposed to sugar during those crucial years can make all the difference. I also know of other vegetarians (people who have been vegetarians their entire lives like me) who have experienced the same dentist situations--no cavities and hardly any teeth cleaning needed--so it would appear that being a vegetarian is very helpful not only to one's overall health, but to one's dental health as well.

Of course, there are some people who take issue with vegetarianism, so they are always going to find some area to try to attack.

jeisan said:
aye, well i guess i wanna give it the best chance of actually doing something, if a piece that small doesnt dissolve then it proves nothing bigger would and that the whole thing is false.
ill prolly check in between, as of now the syrup and water are starting to separate and theres some floaties in there. the meat kinda looks as if its getting cooked, its no longer red, but looks like its still the same size.

Thanks so much for doing this, Jeisan! You know, when my friends conducted this test back in the late '60s, the ingredients in Coke were very different than they are today. However, I believe the only change would have been cocaine, but I'm not sure. Do you happen to know what other changes Coke made to its ingredients, other than removing cocaine from their soft drinks?

Yeah, cocaine was removed back before the 60's and I am sure there has been some changes to coke, just not advertised.

jeisan said:
not really, though i thought cocaine was removed as an ingredient well before the 60s, like around when the states first started up with the controlled substance and drug laws.

I started to say I thought Coke contained cocaine in the '60s, but I just looked it up on the internet, and it appears it was eliminated around 1920 or so, so I guess not. I thought for sure cocaine was in the Coke of the '60s, because so many people have talked about it and it definitely tasted different back then--much better than today--but maybe that has more to do with other ingredients that have changed over the years.

well since im lazy and forgetful the meat got an extra hour and a half in the coke. so after 49.5 hours the meat was still there and surprisingly enough bigger than when i put it in. i guess swelling from absoring the water all that time, it grew about 1/4 inch (63.5mm) in length, height and width.
the odd bit was that it was almost completly white, save the center, which still had blood in it.
another interesting thing was that the blood that leeched out of the meat stuck to the syrup to form a soft solid debris. so instead of the thicker brown syrup on buttom and clear water on top, which is the norm when you leave a coke out for hours, there was a bunch of brown floaties in the clear water. picture gold schlager with about 3 times the flakes and make them brown.
this can easily give the appearance that something was dissolved in there. probably where this myth originated. though for the most part i'd say there wasn't much change after hour 6.

jeisan said:
well since im lazy and forgetful the meat got an extra hour and a half in the coke. so after 49.5 hours the meat was still there and surprisingly enough bigger than when i put it in. i guess swelling from absoring the water all that time, it grew about 1/4 inch (63.5mm) in length, height and width.
the odd bit was that it was almost completly white, save the center, which still had blood in it.
another interesting thing was that the blood that leeched out of the meat stuck to the syrup to form a soft solid debris. so instead of the thicker brown syrup on buttom and clear water on top, which is the norm when you leave a coke out for hours, there was a bunch of brown floaties in the clear water. picture gold schlager with about 3 times the flakes and make them brown.
this can easily give the appearance that something was dissolved in there. probably where this myth originated. though for the most part i'd say there wasn't much change after hour 6.

Wow, looks like I was lied to all these years!! But thanks to you, Jeisan, the mystery has now been solved! Good going!! :)

This thread has been viewed 24513 times.

Back