Pure? Coke's Attempts to Sell Tap Water ...

interesting article, thanks satori. Personally I have a hard time trusting any huge food producing company, especially coca-cola... this article shows another reason why not to.

nzueda said:
interesting article, thanks satori. Personally I have a hard time trusting any huge food producing company, especially coca-cola... this article shows another reason why not to.

You're welcome! I feel the same way. It's hard to trust any large corporation these days.

jeisan said:
Q. what's Evian spelled backwards?

A. Naive

How funny. You know, for some reason Evian has always tasted awful to me--like water that has hairspray in it or something! Ugh!! After this article, I'm really starting to wonder what's in Evian as well!!

i just dont see the point in paying so much for water, i mean its just water. you can get a gallon (3.78L) of clean filtered mountain spring water in the grocery store for 53? or you can pay $1.00 for 20 ounces (591ml) of dasani, evian, aquafina or whatever. the same amount of tap water is damn near free. so why pay for it?

jeisan said:
i just dont see the point in paying so much for water, i mean its just water. you can get a gallon (3.78L) of clean filtered mountain spring water in the grocery store for 53? or you can pay $1.00 for 20 ounces (591ml) of dasani, evian, aquafina or whatever. the same amount of tap water is damn near free. so why pay for it?

I know!!! I agree!

All I need is my Brita pitcher and I'm good to go.

I think it's good enough. I can tell a big difference between the taste of the plain tap water and tap water that's gone through the filter. I like it a lot. I kind of wish I had one of those that's built on to the faucet, though, because you kind of have to wait awhile for the water to go through the pitcher.

kirei_na_me said:
I think it's good enough. I can tell a big difference between the taste of the plain tap water and tap water that's gone through the filter. I like it a lot. I kind of wish I had one of those that's built on to the faucet, though, because you kind of have to wait awhile for the water to go through the pitcher.

I know filters are good, but I was always curious about the Brita. It sounds like a good system. I used to have bottled water delivered to my home, but it is so expensive, it's ridiculous. Plus, when you read stories about how it's not really THAT much different than tap, all the more reason to shop around!

Satori said:
I used to have bottled water delivered to my home, but it is so expensive, it's ridiculous. Plus, when you read stories about how it's not really THAT much different than tap, all the more reason to shop around!
Why home delivery? That's what makes it expensive, or not? I usually buy the cheapest bottled water there is: roughly 17 ?-cent per litre. Tap water is a lot cheaper, of course, & better controlled here in Germany. But I prefer the taste of sparkling mineral water.

BTW, here in Germany are pretty strict rules how to label bottled water: mineral water, spring water & table water (= tap water with carbon dioxide), maybe more. This way you know pretty well, what you buy.

bossel said:
Why home delivery? That's what makes it expensive, or not? I usually buy the cheapest bottled water there is: roughly 17 ?-cent per litre. Tap water is a lot cheaper, of course, & better controlled here in Germany. But I prefer the taste of sparkling mineral water.

BTW, here in Germany are pretty strict rules how to label bottled water: mineral water, spring water & table water (= tap water with carbon dioxide), maybe more. This way you know pretty well, what you buy.

What made it expensive was the type of water (drinking water, spring water, etc.) and the use of the bottles. For instance, two five-gallon bottles of spring water cost me approximately $35 per month, and after a while, I just thought that was a bit excessive. Lately, I have been using either tap or buying bottled water in the grocery store. That's why I was curious about the filtration system, because I used to use it many years ago and it seemed to be a good system, as long as the filters were changed frequently. I'm sure water is a lot better in Germany than here in the U.S. Our water is so very polluted, and in some cities, there is so much chlorine in the water to counteract the pollution, you can really taste it. Just awful. Certainly not the most comforting experience!

It's a pretty sad state of affairs to realize that we now live in a world where it's not really safe to drink the water or to go outside without sunscreen!! Unreal...

I don't think the water here is very good, alot of times when you go to resturants when they give you your drink and it has ice in it, when the ice melts you can taste the chlorine. Yuck -_- I usually ask for no ice but they put it in anyways.

Chlorine in tap water? Then it's either really bad or the authorities are over-cautious. In Germany that would be done only if there is imminent danger of contamination. Is Germany tap-water heaven?
I know that in China they always boil tap-water before drinking it, but I wasn't aware that the situation in parts of the US is also rather bad. What's it like in Japan? Is tap-water of good quality?

Yeah, chlorine is a given here. Sometimes, when I take a bath, it smells like I'm in a swimming pool instead of a bathtub. A couple of times, we've had to boil the water before drinking because they put too many chemicals in at the water treatment facility. That was after we had severe drought and they brought in water from a different source. I think they were trying to be extra cautious and went overboard.

I grew up in the countryside, though, where we had water from a well. I experienced a very rude awakening when I moved inside the city limits.

we have a well but when we go to all the resturants in the city it is a big surprise

NEW! Dasani drinking water! not fit for human comsumption

Seriously, though, to me the difference between (city) tap water and purified drinking water is like night and day. Usually I go for more reputable brands like Absopure though.

But if you are in the countryside, you probably don't need it... like at my girlfriend's parent's house, where their water comes from the mountains... very tasty! :gulp:

Speaking of Coke and water ...

Water vs Coke!

Makes you think.

We all know that water is important but I've never seen it
written down like this before-----

WATER - 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated. (Likely
applies to half world pop.)

In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is
often mistaken for hunger.

Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.

One glass of water shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost
100% of the dieters studied in a U-Washington study.

Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day
could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of
sufferers.

A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term
memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the
computer screen or on a printed page.

Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon
cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by
79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

Are you drinking the amount of water you should every day?
======================================
COKE - No wonder coke tastes soooo good:

#1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two
gallons of Coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway
after a car accident.

#2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be
gone in two days.

#3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet
bowl and.......Let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush
clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

#4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper
with a crumpled-up piece of Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil dipped
in Coca-Cola.

#5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of
Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

#6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in
Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

#7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the
baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty
minutes before the ham is finished, Remove the foil, allowing
the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

#8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a
load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular
cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will
also clean road haze from your windshield.

FYI:
#1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is
2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days.

#2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial
truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for
highly corrosive materials.

#3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the
engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Still Want To Drink Up?

:shock:

Satori, before you post something like this you should check an urban legends website like snopes:
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

Excerpt:
"Coca-Cola contains less citric acid than orange juice does, and the concentration of phosphoric acid in Coke is far too small (a mere 11 to 13 grams per gallon of syrup, or about 0.20 to 0.30 per cent of the total formula) to dissolve a steak, a tooth, or a nail overnight. (Much of the item will dissolve eventually, but after a day or two you'll still have most of the tooth, a whole nail, and one very soggy t-bone.)"

This thread has been viewed 24507 times.

Back