Question Why do you travel??

Brooker

Anjin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Mainly: Italian, German, Scottish, Irish
Here's a general quesiton for everyone.....

What kinds of places, sights, events, attractions, activities, etc. do you go to/do when you travel (in Japan or elsewhere)? What motivates you to take a trip or choose a particular location? What things about a place might make you NOT want to go there? Do you like history, adventure, relaxation, experiencing a new culture, food, etc.? What worries you about taking a trip? How much research do you do? Where do you get your information?

I guess that's more than one quesiton. You can choose the ones that are relevant to you. Understanding people's motivation for travel might help me in my research and I'm just interested. Thanks.

I travel for lots of reasons....

Mostly, I like to have something to do when I travel. "Sightseeing" just doesn't cut it for me. Volunteering is ok, but an actually job is better! Also despite the fact that I like to have a solid plan, plans never stick. What comes up in place makes traveling even more interesting. Learning to live under different circumstances...

Lately, I've been reading lots about Central Asia. Peter Hopkirk wrote some wonderful books about it's history. The Great Game is probably one of the best non-fiction books I've ever read.

Yes I think it makes a trip more enjoyable to have some kind of "mission" to accomplish while there. Sometimes it's hard to come up with a mission though. I'm currently inventing reasons to research things while in Japan so I'll have a mission next time I go there.

i just have a feeling of where i think i wanna go...and i am determined to go. but being 14, u don't really have any options.

Well...usually when i go to another place i've only 2 ideas in my mind:
1: have fun
I think it's really important to enjoy the place where you're going so i'm usually trying all kind of activities, foods, etc...
btw: generally it's my (few) friends who're dragging me into all kind of weird places :D
2: learn and discover a new culture
I've always been curious about other cultures and when i'm somewhere i also try to learn as much as i can about the local culture (even if atm i've only been to California, Schwarzwald, Munich,Switzerland, Hong Kong, Beijin, Exeter and some other...)

Well for exemple going out by night. You know, everything's always funnier when you're with your friends. We usually go and take a nocturnal walk, try local sport activities or we just go to a local restaurant.
As for experiencing a new culture we go to local little shops and ask about anything, buying more or less exotic stuff ^^

To know a new land.....

You should get to know a local town. To know a local town, you should know a local family. To know a local family, you should know a local person. How do you know a local? Just be yourself. (This sounds much cooler in Chinese, which, unfortunately, I can't speak. But you get the idea.)

Generally, a friend of mine suggests a place and we try that place. We rarely go to places that we have gone before. That is to say, we go to places just to discover it, good or bad does not bother us. The reason for going on a trip is just for 'being among the people that visited that place'. Funny but that's our fun...

I travel to escape from this world, but the more I travel the more I realize that is impossible.

You will never have a dull moment when you visit the glamorous city of Las Vegas; and now a brand new Nikki Beach resort has arrived at the entertainment capital of the world.Brunch Las Vegas brings you an exceptional experience of contemporary cuisine with menus created by Chef George Bargisen.You can enjoy outstanding food and beverage, audio visual aids, advanced multimedia capabilities, interactive type entertainment and the ability to secure celebrity appearances and live acts.

Yawn...

This is a European Forum..
Las Vegas must be very boring reading what you wrote. ;)

Why travel around the world?
The real answer to your needs is in yourself.

Yawn...

This is a European Forum..
Las Vegas must be very boring reading what you wrote. ;)

Why travel around the world?
The real answer to your needs is in yourself.

Reinaert
Well said.

The need for travel, everyone carries within himself.

Personally, it's nice to travel and visit the countries and regions.

I would like to visit all European countries, from Cyprus to Iceland.

This thread has been viewed 11540 times.

Back