Charges for rapists.

misa.j

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Asian
In the article I read today about a rapist, who had been raping a 16 yrs old girl that supposedly lived with him since she was 11 yrs old and was repeatedly raped for 5 years by him, was arrested and faces a sentence of 10 ~ 20 yrs of life in a prison. He took plaroids, video taped intending to sell while he raped her. It happened in a town next to the one I live, and I just got a sick feeling in my stomach when I read the article.

It seems to me that the justice system gives so much rights to violent criminals that do not prevent the reccurences of the same crimes. Why are the charges for sex offenders so light? Personally, I don't think any sex offenders should be released, since nobody can really keep them away from other people.

It bothered me so much that I had to post to hear the others' opinions on this.
Thanks.

I Think....

some of the U.S. Judges should go to jail !! They let idiots like the above out on bail, allow plea bargins,
reduce high sentences given by juries, say it was the victims fault, etc. . The American justice system can
leave you scratching your head or pounding it against the wall!

Frank

:blush:

ah yes, ive seen some offenses get as light of sentances as 5 years probation.

but if it makes you feel better, i doubt that guy will last long in prison. other prisoners dont take kindly to child molesters there, and are often beaten and tortured before getting killed in prison. guards often look the other way in such cases...

It is encouraging to know that there are some people like you guys who would agree with me.

I don't really understand the mental stage of the defense lawyers who try to protect such criminals...

(1) In God We Trust

America is a country embraces the values of Christianity (e.g. thou shall not kill, repentance & etc. which help shape the framework of its justice system). A defendant is presumed innocence until he is proven guilty. And even if a person is found guilty, the sentencing is inclined towards leniency because the laws mostly are written by liberal scholars.

Their justice system is not designed to send convicts to hell. Rather, it is designed to ?help? the offenders to become a good citizen again.

(2) $$$$$$$$$$

Due to the fast growing rate of occupancy, the correctional facilities (jails, half-way house & etc) carry a national price tag that exceeds US$50 billion per year.

Jean-Francois said:
(1) In God We Trust
Their justice system is not designed to send convicts to hell. Rather, it is designed to ?help? the offenders to become a good citizen again.

(2) $$$$$$$$$$
Due to the fast growing rate of occupancy, the correctional facilities (jails, half-way house & etc) carry a national price tag that exceeds US$50 billion per year.

(1) Do you really think those sex offenders become good citizens after going through all the prosedures they deserve?

(2) True. I think they crowd the C.F.s with many non-violent criminals convicted with the pathetic drug charges, who could turn into violent criminals while they are inside.

(1) Not very likely. But the laws are merciful. Since nobody can rule out the possibility that a sex offender can repent, the law would rather let a "potentially guilty" man go free than keep an innocent man in jail.

Besides, criminal intention is the most difficult to prove. That's why so many white-collar crimes (e.g. accouting fruads) can get away from prosecution. Although recently the American public got fed up and made an example out of some big corporations, it was never easy to prove that the CEOs at Enron purposely misrepresented financial information to their shareholders and creditors other than it was just an accounting mistake.

(2) If you love MoNey, set "them" free!

Last edited:
The Best Solution !

I liked the planet KYPTON's anser to crime! From the old "Superman Comics". They sent them into another dimension where they existed like a ghost. No cost to take care of them and they could do no physical harm.
An old book series called "Doc Savage" operated on criminals brains to turn them into model citizens. I'm surprised we haven't figured out how to do that!
Then there was the movie "A Clockwork Orange" where
they brain washed criminals! There doesn't seem to be an acceptable solution to the problem, it's been with us since mankind(&womankind) came about.

Frank

:? :eek:kashii: :blush:

Err... maybe love and education can help ? It probably sounds too idealistic ... If only these criminals were showered with love and had the access to a good education ...
Actually, many convicts of embezzlements did but that didn't help either.

Anyway, under the existing system, it is very difficult to argue that a rapist who has served his sentence has a higher tendency to repeat offence (indeed many do) than a shoplifter. To say so, it would shake up one of the most important fundamental principles of the American justice system - all men are equal in front of the laws.

I know someone who is well educated and a rapist as well... I hate them all because my friend was a victim!!! :box:

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend.

sadakoyamamura said:
I know someone who is well educated and a rapist as well... I hate them all because my friend was a victim!!! :box:

How's your friend doing? I hope she/he is getting lots of support such as a friend like you.

misa.j said:
How's your friend doing? I hope she/he is getting lots of support such as a friend like you.

He was a well educated guy with a high IQ who went to the best schools in my city. It's been a year and she's still bothered. She's having suicidal thoughts and feelings of persecusion. She couldn't press charges because she doesn't want her family to know. She just wants to move on a little at a time. A friend and I are helping her process her experience by supporting her and giving positive feedback... She wants to go to a psychologist but she's not ready yet to talk about it so we're just waiting.

Thanks so much for your concern. This is much too personal for me. It is a pain to see a friend in pain. :)

"sadakoyamamura" san, thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with us on this. It must have been really hard for you to talk about this.

I'm not sure if this will help, but I have a friend who was victimized by her ex-boyfriend. She had to have an abortion from that, and she didn't have much support at the time. Despite the horrible incident, in about 10yrs, now, she has a child who she loves and has a boyfriend who she can be comfortable with.

Thanks again, for putting such an effort to talk about your friend.

misa.j said:
"sadakoyamamura" san, thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience with us on this. It must have been really hard for you to talk about this.

I'm not sure if this will help, but I have a friend who was victimized by her ex-boyfriend. She had to have an abortion from that, and she didn't have much support at the time. Despite the horrible incident, in about 10yrs, now, she has a child who she loves and has a boyfriend who she can be comfortable with.

Thanks again, for putting such an effort to talk about your friend.

Im happy for your friend, she overcame something so dark. Im also happy that she was able to bear another child because some abortion do result in infertility (but that is another story) and have a boyfriend who loves her back. Lastly, Im happy to have shared my thoughts even if it was painful, I know my friend will survive because we have faith in her. :) :)

there's a sex offender that lives in my bf's neighborhood, which is just a coupla blocks from my neighborhood. the police knocked on everyone's doors and the school to let them know, but i still think it was rather irresponsible for them to let him live so near a school, which is right in front of a public park where many women run late at night because it's usually a safe place. i had to walkl past the guy once, it was an experience i'd rather not repeat. my bf hates for me to walk alone now and walks with me around the neighborhood, espicially if it involves going past the guy's house.

ashuri2,
It's good to hear that your boyfriend is being protective for you, and I agree w/ you on the guy should not live near the school.

I keep hearing really sick incidents. What's wrong w/ people?

misa.j said:
ashuri2,
It's good to hear that your boyfriend is being protective for you, and I agree w/ you on the guy should not live near the school.

I keep hearing really sick incidents. What's wrong w/ people?

thanks. at first i was put off by the protectiveness as i'm usually independent, but after reading this i realized that he just cares and that perhaps his worries aren't unfounded. i wish we could trust people more, i bet no one even knew anything was wrong with that guy who raped the 11-yr. old. :(

In the same town as the one I'd mentioned in my first post ot this thread, a father who raped his own daughter was arrested recently, waiting for a sentence.
I have heard a similar case with a daughter hanged herself...

I can't imagine how these girls could have hope or trust anyone in the future.

Wow, so much for me to say.

First, let me say to anyone and everyone who knows someone afraid to press charges; can they live with the fact that they are allowing a criminal to commit his crime again? Usually, that fact is motivation enough to overcome any fears.

Second; defense attourneys that take on the task of defending rapists are usually public defenders; in otherwords, the ones that eventually do take on the tasks, are basically so poor that they cant afford to refuse the case. There are other reasons, but most of those just involve a lot of money.

Lastly, I wanted to comment on the...comment, lol, that this country was founded and orchestrated with Christian doctrines.

Not entirely true.

Our country were seperatists from a Monarchy; and the English monarchy was believe, in its start, that the original king was ordained by G*d to govern, and rule absolutely.

The settlers wanted to shy away from those styles of government, and while the country was founded by some pilgrims, and abolishionists ideologies, it was more heavily based on equality to some extents, and fairness, without the rule of previously ordained doctrines.

Also, at one time, it was common knowledge that 'one nation, under GOD' didnt mean Jehovah, or Hossanah, but "government of democracy". Nobody knows that now, though.

This thread has been viewed 21157 times.

Back