Question Would you chop your hand off if...

Read below then answer :

• I would chop my hand off to save my life

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • I would ask the other person to chop my hand

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • I would panick and eventually faint - and die

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • I would prefer to die rather than live without a hand

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I would commit suicide in desperation rather than dying of poison or living without a hand

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I would wait and die

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I would do a tourniquet around my wrist and try to go back to the nearest place with anti-venom, eve

Votes: 25 39.7%

• Total voters
I would wait and die. :eek:kashii:

I would rather die with my whole "Being".

Am ready for death anyway thats why i have chosen my lifestyle.

I'd chop it off no problem , however i'd keep it as my glourious achievement !

Hmm after a good night sleep I think I would take all kinds of ANTI-VENOM stuff with me HAHAHAHA...so if a snake bit me I would be prepared...no hand to be chopped of :lol: or die of poisoning !!!

WELL, I started out with both my hands..I'm dying with both my hands....just not yet. I would use the tournaquit, and believe me, my will to survive would get me to the place i need to be to heal myself. Im not dying! I haven't met silver angel yet!?!?!? :blush: :balloon:

hehe Esca...you womanizer !! :p

[Points to Rocks AvA]

Waiting for my nose to become like yours...

[THERE WE GO......ahhhhhhhhh :balloon: ]

I would be sucking out the venom after filling my mouth with saliva (to minimize absorption) and THEN putting on a tourniquet. I'd have asked my friend to call for/go for help and I'd only chop off my hand as a last resort (e.g. if I know how long the helicopter/ambulance with antivenom would take, based on monitoring my own symptoms for as long as I'm lucid).

TimF said:
Well put Mandylion i was waiting for someone to say it. And besids Even if you run it only speeds up your heart rate which pumps the venom in you blood faster which in turn causes it to spread through the body.
Although isn't amputation used to prevent gangrene ? Gangrene would actually be a reason I wouldn't use a tournaquit. So I can't say for sure what I'd do without knowing how long severed limbs can survive without bleeding to death and whether snakebite kits could be effective or not..... :p

Elizabeth said:
Although isn't amputation used to prevent gangrene ? Gangrene would actually be a reason I wouldn't use a tournaquit. So I can't say for sure what I'd do without knowing how long severed limbs can survive without bleeding to death and whether snakebite kits could be effective or not..... :p

I would agree about the gangrene thing if you already had it and you were being amputated at a hospital but choping off your hand in the boonies is only going to lead to you getting it. You will not be able to fight the infection especially with the long walk, It will set in quick. I took a wilderness survival class the sametime I took my hunters saftey course, they taught me how to deal with snake bites broken limbs lassarations etc. so i think i might know what to do in this situation. I mean i dont know alot about the flora and fawna of that reigon but the language of survival is universal so i think i could make it.

But from what I understand cutting off a limb is a viable first aid survival strategy, such as the sailors Frank mentioned or mountain climbers etc with frostbite. Plus when it is used for punishment or as an initiation rite -- do those people also have to get medical care immediately afterwards or is it just a matter of it spreading with movement ?

Anyway, I'm far from a wilderness guru I just remembered reading somewhere that snake bites can also lead to gangrene. In this case, you're pretty much doomed whichever way you decide to go. :(

Reminds Me....

years ago there was a joke about two guys out in the desert(lifelong close friends). One gets bit on the buttocks low in the groin area. He says to his buddy , will you cut the X and suck the venom out? No, but I promise to be a good pallbearer for ya. Something like that? I heard later, you can't suck the venom out, and I felt better about letting my buddy die.

Frank

:D

Whoa, some people are going to die if it ever happens.

First rule of hiking/camping. PREPARE! The 6 P's; Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. If you're going out into an area like that you get malaria shots, take the common anti-venom, adequate First Aid kit, make sure you have some kind of decent comm's equipment and suitable clothing.

The cutting the hand off option in the case of a snake bite/spider bite would have to be quick. ACK! CHOP. Or aim for the elbow. A better option is to get a pressure bandage on the limb, splint it, apply an antivenom and call for help. Sucking it out will only kill you more surely.

Cutting your hand/arm/whatever off if stuck or trapped is another thing again.

beef......*drools*...yeah I looked for all kinds of information b4 I went actually...to prevent nasty situations! :)

I would try my best to get to somewhere with anti-venom.. I just wouldn't wanna live one-handed.. it would suck so much.. lol.. so I'd either get lucky and live or die with pride and crawling my way to a hospital lol..

i would tie a tournequet around mym wrist(hand)actually mid arm below elbow, that why i wouldn't die off blood loss or shock, and have my friend lay some branches or something under me and drag me to the nearest place(even if we had to turn back). if there was a cliff to jump or a tree to climb, i would take the risk of my blood rushing. if when i got to the other side and i felt weaker due to the venom, then i would have the person cut my arm off...wow. i would do alot of stuff.

I would just sit there and wait till I die, maybe sing a song as I go along -.-... and if my friend pursuades me, I'll maybe do a tourniquet..

Say... you might also die by chopping of a hand, wouldn't you? Considering the amount of blood you'd loose... o.<

This thread has been viewed 104937 times.

Back