hrvclv

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Arvern
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b-U152-DF103
mtDNA haplogroup
H1bm
Many of us tested. Our data are stored somewhere - out of reach. Is it to be feared that the very progress of genetic sciences might turn into a cause for concern ?

Article here : https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-05-dna-facial-privacy-difficult.html

Excerpt :

"Where will this all end up?

We only need to look at identical twins to see how much of our face is in our DNA. The question is how many of the connections between DNA and our physical features will we be able to unlock in the future, and how long will it take us to get there?

Some features are relatively easy to predict. For instance, eye colour can be inferred from relatively few genetic variants. Other traits will be more complicated because they are "polygenic", meaning that many gene variants work together to produce the feature.

A recent study of hair colour genetics, for example, examined 300,000 people with European ancestry. They found 110 new genetic markers linked to hair colour, but the prediction of some colours (black or red) is more reliable than others (blonde and brown).

The way that DNA codes our physical features might be different in people from different ancestral groups. Currently, our ability to predict modern Europeans will be better than other groups – because our genetic databases are dominated by subjects with European ancestry.

As we employ increasingly sophisticated machine learning approaches on bigger (and more ethnically representative) databases, our ability to predict appearance from DNA is likely to improve dramatically.

Parabon's services come with a disclaimer that the reconstructions should not be used with facial recognition systems. The integration of these technologies is not impossible in the future, however, and raises questions about scope creep.

What does this mean for genetic privacy?

Despite the controversy around what we can do now, the science of DNA phenotyping is only going to get better.

What the rapidly developing field of DNA phenotyping shows us is how much personal information is in our genetic data. If you can reconstruct a mugshot from genetic data, then removing the owner's name won't prevent re-identification.

Protecting the privacy of our genetic data in the future may mean that we have to come up with innovative ways of masking it – for example genome cloaking, genome spiking, or encryption and blockchain-based platforms.

The more we understand about our genetic code the more difficult it will become to protect the privacy of our genetic data."

I doubt if we'll have any dna privacy. I haven't checked it but I vaguely recall that hospitals do some type of screening for a certain defect. I can very easily see that parents would be asked for permission to test newborns for all sorts of abnormalities. I think most parents would agree, thinking that if something was wrong, it would be better to know right away so you could intervene. Who would then have control of that data?

Or what about when parents do prenatal screening for birth defects? Where does that data go?

The law governing these kinds of questions has yet to be written.

Duplicate ....

Big Pharma Would Like Your DNA

...23andMe’s $300 million deal with GlaxoSmithKline is just the tip of the iceberg...

... 23andMe has always planned to sell access to its customers’ DNA—a fact it has not exactly kept secret...

...”Once you have the data, [the company] does actually become the Google of personalized health care.”..

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/07/big-pharma-dna/566240/

This thread has been viewed 3576 times.

Back