Europe This is how train stations should be designed

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Trains are a great way to travel around Europe and new high-speed lines are being built all the time. Switzerland is the best country overall when it comes to train, be it for the punctuality, cleanliness of trains and stations, organisation or ease of use. The Netherlands probably comes second.

This video shows a new railway station in the Netherlands. It's amazing how well it was designed with the ease of use in mind. Apparently this station is even going to be used as a template for future train stations in the country and I can see why.

I must say that Switzerland public transport/trains are worse than Germany's overall. You cannot compare it Zurich with Munich for example. Zurich's public transport is not as good and clean as that of Munich.

But the train station on the video looks quite dope and practical.

I must say that Switzerland public transport/trains are worse than Germany's overall. You cannot compare it Zurich with Munich for example. Zurich's public transport is not as good and clean as that of Munich.

But the train station on the video looks quite dope and practical.

I've travelled to many times by train around all Germany and Switzerland. There is no doubt for me that Swiss trains and stations are much better. In fact I've travelled all around Europe by train and Germany is the country where I experience the most often delay. It's not just a few minutes of delay either. It happened three times that my train was stuck for over 45 minutes in Germany. I've been twice to Switzerland by train from Belgium this year and both time I missed my connection in Frankfurt or Köln because the German ICE was over 20 minutes late. I have found German train stations to be quite dirty by European standards (e.g. Köln, Frankfurt, Mannheim, although the new Berlin Hauptbahnhof is fine) while Swiss stations are the nicest and cleanest I've seen in any country.

Zurich station is amazing. There is a huge underground shopping centre under it, which reminded me of Tokyo station. The hundreds of hi quality shops and restaurants and a place is spotless.

One train station in Germany that impressed me was Leipzig Hauptbahnhof. It's a beautiful neoclassical building that was recently renovated with a stylish and modern shopping centre inside. I read on Wikipedia that it is Europe's largest railway station measured by floor area (83,460 square metres, or 898,400 sq ft).

1698055423846.png

1698055640989.png

1698055543141.png

Hauptbahnhof_Innen_Daniel_Reiche.jpg

Last edited:
I've travelled to many times by train around all Germany and Switzerland. There is no doubt for me that Swiss trains and stations are much better. In fact I've travelled all around Europe by train and Germany is the country where I experience the most often delay. It's not just a few minutes of delay either. It happened three times that my train was stuck for over 45 minutes in Germany. I've been twice to Switzerland by train from Belgium this year and both time I missed my connection in Frankfurt or Köln because the German ICE was over 20 minutes late. I have found German train stations to be quite dirty by European standards (e.g. Köln, Frankfurt, Mannheim, although the new Berlin Hauptbahnhof is fine) while Swiss stations are the nicest and cleanest I've seen in any country.

Zurich station is amazing. There is a huge underground shopping centre under it, which reminded me of Tokyo station. The hundreds of hi quality shops and restaurants and a place is spotless.

I don't know if we were at the same place, but Zurich public transport was not as good as Berlin's or Munich's, far from it, add up that it was overly expensive in comparison with Germany.

I don't know if we were at the same place, but Zurich public transport was not as good as Berlin's or Munich's, far from it, add up that it was overly expensive in comparison with Germany.
I was talking about trains and train stations, not public transport in general. I did not try the bus in Zurich and only took the tramway a few times.

This thread has been viewed 800 times.

Back