Question Viking warriors haplogroup and Nordic culture

ElijahShell

Reaction score
So, I read some posts on a non-english forum that say the people from Central Asia created the Nordic culture, as Viking soldiers and elites actually belong to haplgroup R1a and haplogroup N, the Nordic runes derived from old Turkic scripts, and even the Yggdrasil tree in the Norse mythology is originated from the Turkic mythology despite most datas online suggest that the majority of Vikings belong to haplogroup I. Is that true? Which haplogroup is the one that created and represents the Viking civilization?

Last edited:
So, I read some posts on a non-english forum that say the people from Central Asia created the Nordic culture, as Viking soldiers and elites actually belong to haplgroup R1a and haplogroup N, the Nordic runes derived from old Turkic scripts, and even the Yggdrasil tree in the Norse mythology is originated from the Turkic mythology despite most datas online suggest that the majority of Vikings belong to haplogroup I. Is that true? Which haplogroup is the one that created and represents the Viking civilization?

Why would you take that Turkish nationalist nonsense seriously? I used to know a Turkish guy who thought the entire planet is of Turkish origin. R1a is not a Turkic haplogroup. It is an Indo-European haplogroup. You have to differentiate between the subclades. The specifically Germanic clades of R1a are Z283, Z284 and L664. The R1a subclade found among central Asian, Turkic tribes and peoples is the Indo-Iranian R1a-Z93 which they got from the Eastern Iranian Scythians. However, most of R1a is found among Slavs and they have their own specific subclades like Z282 and M458. There's also Z92 which is mostly Baltic but also found among East Slavs.

The most prominent haplogroup among the Vikings was I1. N was never a major haplogroup among them and it was absorbed from the Finns, not some Turkic tribes. As for the Runic script, its Germanic offshoot derived from the Rhaetic alphabet found in North Italy. Turkic runes have their origins in a script derived from Aramaic. But both scripts have an ultimate origin in the Phoenician alphabet. Same goes for the Latin, Cyrillic, Hebrew and Arabic scripts.

To sum it all up, the most dominant haplogroup among the Vikings was I1, followed by R1b and the Germanic clades of R1a, especially R1a-Z284.

Yeeeah, there's also that thing where Turkish nationalists claim that ALL languages come from proto-turkish and that Jesus was born in a remote Turkish village (Anatolia didn't even have turks back then? But ok.) Turkish and turkic nationalists are always a joy to listen to. Just as many unhinged loons as the slavic "pagans".

This thread has been viewed 571 times.

Back