PDA

View Full Version : What do you want to do with your body after you die ?

Maciamo
31-07-04, 07:24
I have once been told that what differentiated humans from animals is that humans had some kind of ceremony for its deads. Some are buried, others are cremated, and nowadays some give their body for scientific research or medical use. Zoroastrians (religion from Ancient Persia which subsist in Iran and India) put dead bodies in a tower for them to be eaten by crows, so that they can be "recycled" immediately and reintegrate the cycle of life.

What would you do with your body ?

Frank D. White
31-07-04, 09:21
If my wife outlives me, she will have me cremated.No service wanted or needed. She will take a 2 liter bottle of Pepsi(my lifelong favorite), and poor my ashes into the bottle, displacing only what's necessary to get me all in, and tighten down the cap.Then, place the bottle in the window that is closest to the TV. If there is nothing good on TV I can enjoy the view out the window. I haven't figured out what will happen if she goes before me, she likes diet Coke though?

Frank

:blush: :okashii:

pk_81
31-07-04, 09:26
Frank - :D :D :D

I can't really say I've never thought about it...but I can't really say that I have. I am an organ donor...but I don't know if I would want my WHOLE body to go to science.
A memorial would be nice, though.....that way I could check out who REALLY cared about me :p

RockLee
31-07-04, 09:28
Firstly..I'm TOO DAMN YOUNG to think about dying or how to get buried !!! And secondly, when the time comes I'll know what to do!!!

jeisan
31-07-04, 09:29
tie me to a rock and toss me in the ocean.

frank i wanna go to your service, drink a pepsi to ya.

TakaraNeko
31-07-04, 10:40
Cremation is the way for me.....no religious ceremony though. I'd just like someone to take my ashes to a nice high place and let them go in the wind.

CC1
31-07-04, 10:42
I chose to be cremated and sprinkled on the land where my (future) house sits. I really don't need a ceremony. @RockLee, you are never too young to think of serious details like this!

Sinspawne
31-07-04, 11:40
I don't know, rather cremation than having fish or worms nibbling on me anyway..

Mike Cash
31-07-04, 12:10
I want to be freeze-dried like Folger's instant coffee. That way if a cure is found for what killed me all they will have to do is pour hot water over me and bring me back.

Glenn
31-07-04, 19:19
Cremation is the way for me.....no religious ceremony though. I'd just like someone to take my ashes to a nice high place and let them go in the wind.

I am suddenly reminded of "The Big Lebowski." :D :D

I want to be freeze-dried like Folger's instant coffee. That way if a cure is found for what killed me all they will have to do is pour hot water over me and bring me back.

LMAO! Of course, you would have to be filtered as well. :D :D

As for me, I voted "not a clue," but as of now I'm thinking cremation without a religious ceremony.

jovial_jon
31-07-04, 20:24
I chose 'other' as I really don't care. I'd just let my family choose whatever they want - I'd be dead and gone so it won't effect me!

@Glenn - I LOVE that scene in Big Lebowski!!! :D

Glenn
31-07-04, 21:22
I just thought that I would share this, because I thought that it was funny. My friend happened to see this poll while I was looking at it, and he said "I want to be soaked in alcohol after I die." :D

cross-platform
01-08-04, 04:29
Might as well just give my body to science, I definately won't need it anymore. If I can help out in some way when I am dead, I am a happy camper.

Ewok85
01-08-04, 04:50
If anything is still useable still I want it taken out and used to make someone elses life better. Then I guess cremate me and use the ashes as fertilizer :D

TimF
01-08-04, 05:32
I have not though about this much since my brother died but I guess I want to be cremated doesnt matter how and if I havent made it to japan befor I am dead spread my ashes there so on a tour of japan and just throw a little of me out everywhere like chicken feed untill I have covered as much area as I can then put a head stone next to my brothers stating when I was born and when I died and before I die I need to make up a few poems or haikus to put on there and of course some have to be funny so when people come to visit my site they wont be as sad. And as far as my organs hell science can have em its not like I am going to be using them anytime soon! LOL :D

Also somebody said they are too young to think about this sort of thing. Well let me tell ya you are never too young to think about it my brother was only 15 when he died but he did not die of natural causes either but i am just saying you are never too young to think about it. When he died we wished we would have known what he wanted.

Shu-Shu
01-08-04, 05:52
I want to be buried.. Guess it's a thingie between me and coffins :blush:
Althouh it doesn't matter if it's with a religious ceremony or not. It's up to my family if they want one or not, if they have the strenght (Still hoping that atleast someone will be effected by my death whenever I die) to sit in a church (or temple or whatever) for about 1 hour hearing someone speak about this and that and cry and all that belongs to funerals. As long as I get my black coffin with a white lily I'm happy :P

TakaraNeko
01-08-04, 08:48
:D The Big Lebowski :D .......and i was trying to be serious Glenn :p

Now I'm suffering from movie flash-backs :giggle: :lol:
Arrgh noooo!!!...."Sir, this is a mortuary, not a rental house."

"Yeah, Walter, you're right, there is an unspoken message here. It's ***k you! Leave me the ***k alone!"

"There's just one thing, Dude..."
"What's that?"
"Do you have to use so many cuss words?"
"What the ***k are you talking about?"

"Smokey, this is not Nam, this is bowling. There are rules."

"You want a toe? I can get you a toe. Believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't want to know about it, believe me. Hell, I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon. With nail polish."

:giggle: .....sorry about the topic spin-off there....i couldn't help it :giggle:

TwistedMac
01-08-04, 11:53
Might as well just give my body to science, I definately won't need it anymore. If I can help out in some way when I am dead, I am a happy camper.
same same.. not that i'll care once i'm dead and gone, but why shouldnt some other dude get to live just because i wanna set fire to my heart which he needs so bad..

it's an insult really.. "you want this dont you?" "yes.. i need it to live" "yeah well too bad, if i'm gonna die so are you" *sound of organs drenched in gazoline catching fire* *sound of little timmy crying in his hospital bed* *cue sad music*

Frank D. White
01-08-04, 15:11
you know you don't really have a heart!

Frank

:blush:

PS - I'll donate my 4 green balls to you when I go!!

TwistedMac
01-08-04, 15:13
...okok, but my kidney is first rate!

Frank D. White
01-08-04, 15:18
swap ya 3 green balls for one!! Pepsi ate mine away years ago!

Frank

:D

RockLee
01-08-04, 15:28
I have not though about this much since my brother died but I guess I want to be cremated doesnt matter how and if I havent made it to japan befor I am dead spread my ashes there so on a tour of japan and just throw a little of me out everywhere like chicken feed untill I have covered as much area as I can then put a head stone next to my brothers stating when I was born and when I died and before I die I need to make up a few poems or haikus to put on there and of course some have to be funny so when people come to visit my site they wont be as sad. And as far as my organs hell science can have em its not like I am going to be using them anytime soon! LOL :D

Also somebody said they are too young to think about this sort of thing. Well let me tell ya you are never too young to think about it my brother was only 15 when he died but he did not die of natural causes either but i am just saying you are never too young to think about it. When he died we wished we would have known what he wanted.

I'm sorry to hear that man!! :kanashii: I lost my nephew 3 years ago of leukemia...anyways I mean that I'm not thinking of death or how I want to be burried/cremated....I'm DEAD then ain't I?? so who cares what they'll do with my body...if I can help someone with it it's ok for me..I would be happy to know I helped someone survive!!But I wouldn't want to donate my organs to science....that's unethical I think....to just cut somebodies corpse to study out of it...that's not the way 2 go :souka: well that's my 2 cent!!

TwistedMac
01-08-04, 15:50
But I wouldn't want to donate my organs to science....that's unethical I think....to just cut somebodies corpse to study out of it...that's not the way 2 go :souka: well that's my 2 cent!!

hw do you think they do research to make cures for all those nasty diseases?

they don't just play around with your organs like you did at school when you cut open a frog just to have a look-see.. there's a point to it...

blessed
01-08-04, 15:58
I wanna be stuffed (hehe) and to be used in later museum exhibits of early man (say in ten thousand years) :D :D

necrozombie
02-08-04, 15:23
umm.. anything but cremation.. (that just creeps me out)

..and as long as i don't die old.. im fine.. X)

Arch
02-08-04, 18:18
I agree with rock, ill think about it when the time comes !

:D

Glenn
03-08-04, 01:14
Won't it be too late to think about it then? :D

bossel
03-08-04, 02:02
Voted "not a clue" but mean "don't care". Hell, I'll be dead by then. So what?

Frank D. White
03-08-04, 02:38
something you might want to talk over with your parents or loved ones! A living will if you're old enough to sign one where you live. Do you want to be kept alive with breathing & feeding machines and have a bunch of tubes running into & out of you for years?? Depending on where you live, it might happen! Talk to your doctor and your folks about what to do if you are in a coma. Be aware of what the laws are where you live. You might say you don't care, you won't be aware; but think what your family & loved ones will have to go through. If your folks don't want to think about it, talk with your doctor about it, he should be able to answer any of your questions.

Frank

:?

TwistedMac
03-08-04, 03:02
i've already told a few different relatives exactly what i want done in case i die or somehow place myself in a coma..

although it might seem macabre at first when you start talking about it to them, i just explain i'm not about to kill myself or anything, you just never know when the engine of an aeroplane hits you in the head or a bus with a drunken driver decides to shift lanes onto the sidewalk.

being in the wrong place at the wrong time is very common.. people do it every day and die tragic deaths because of it.. might aswell be prepared..

not saying to take it too serious though.. the "that doesn't happen to me" attitude is what keeps us from going insane with the dangers that lurk behind every corner..

R4D
04-08-04, 21:55
When I'm dead I want to be buried in a pyramid like in the good old egyptian days ^^
or...if my family hasnt got enough money for that, science can have it (or I will think of something else if i'm older, just as my views on everything change every minute)

if I would happen to get into coma or sth I would want to be killed immediately, can't stand these machines(I even think its pointless to try to revive someone, who is destined to die soon anyway...)

EscaFlowne
04-08-04, 22:27
When I'm dead I want to be buried in a pyramid like in the good old egyptian days ^^

Ditto! Its the best way to go. And I want all my treasures i have stockhoused in my life to come with me. :blush:

Glenn
04-08-04, 23:17
or...if my family hasnt got enough money for that, science can have it (or I will think of something else if i'm older, just as my views on everything change every minute)

Looks like science will have it for the time being, eh? :D

ashuri2
06-08-04, 22:58
i tend to think byrying is a waste of money and land, cause you spend thousands on a coffin and to preserve a body that will still rot, it'll just take longer. the thought of an oven is a bit creepy, but i'd prefer that to burial...

bossel
07-08-04, 00:04
i tend to think byrying is a waste of money and land, cause you spend thousands on a coffin and to preserve a body that will still rot, it'll just take longer. the thought of an oven is a bit creepy, but i'd prefer that to burial...
Burning is even more of a waste, it also pollutes the environment (well, if you lived rather unhealthy, burying might do as well). If you're buried you're at least fodder for the worms & end up as some sort of fertilizer (depends also on the coffin, of course).

ashuri2
08-08-04, 19:45
Burning is even more of a waste, it also pollutes the environment (well, if you lived rather unhealthy, burying might do as well). If you're buried you're at least fodder for the worms & end up as some sort of fertilizer (depends also on the coffin, of course).

you could still end up fertilizer if you choose to have your ashes scattered. and speaking of environmental health, how can the fabric and velevet and metal and formaldehyde and clothing and all the chemicals used to preserve the body be ggod for the soil? it's not just the body going in the soil. if so, i would have no problem with it.

bossel
09-08-04, 03:21
you could still end up fertilizer if you choose to have your ashes scattered. and speaking of environmental health, how can the fabric and velevet and metal and formaldehyde and clothing and all the chemicals used to preserve the body be ggod for the soil? it's not just the body going in the soil. if so, i would have no problem with it.
If you are burnt, most of the useful stuff just pollutes the air. For being buried: it's your own choice, isn't it. You can choose to be buried just with a linen shroud & in a natural wooden coffin.

Brooker
09-08-04, 03:59
Make some Brooker sashimi and serve it to my friends and family so I can be with them always.

Glenn
11-08-04, 01:53
Well, until they defecate you. That's kind of eerie, Brooker. Was that a joke or not? :clueless:

King of Tokyo
11-08-04, 02:13
Ahh I hate stuff like this.. it reminds me that I am going to DIE. Imagine that, Me Dead.. A world without me .. Haha.. But I'm only 16 so I am living my life ignoring that fact that I am going to die until I actually do.. :).. And as for cremation.. see.. I am in big denial that I'm going to die.. and I don't want to.. so if they burn my body.. then that would kind of be the final "You Are Dead" thing.. Although if my body stays intact.. then maybe I will die hoping that some kind of medical future science can bring me back.. or like just my head in a jar like on Futurama Haha.. Dunno.. even though most people like cremation.. I just don't.. I don't like the idea of my body being burned and gone.. but really.. after I am dead..I am dead .. so what the hell do I care what happens to my body.. it's not going to affect the fact that I am extremely dead and don't exist.. Ahh.. I don't waaaanna diiiiie.. heh..

cricket
11-08-04, 05:20
You surely have very original ideas,guys!

But seriously,been thinking bout where should my family bury me?
Here in Japan because they have to be close to me and be in the family grave?
In my native country,because that's where your ashes should be and families,relatives and friends can visit you?

What do you think? Is there anybody with the same situation?

necrozombie
12-08-04, 01:12
ew... the thought of cremation has ALWAYS weirded me out.. *shudders*

..then again that mite have something to do with my fear of being burned alive..

oi.... im gonna get nite-mares from thinking about that now... :(

Frank D. White
12-08-04, 01:19
I thought it would kinda natural to have my body wrapped in chicken wire and hung in a tree way out in the woods.You would be like a suet bird feeder and the various bugs & flies could have a nice feast. Then your bones would drop to the forest floor to be eaten animals.
A back to nature experience!

Frank

bossel
12-08-04, 02:58
I thought it would kinda natural to have my body wrapped in chicken wire and hung in a tree way out in the woods.You would be like a suet bird feeder and the various bugs & flies could have a nice feast. Then your bones would drop to the forest floor to be eaten animals.
Not too original.:p The Zoroastrians traditionally leave their dead on top of "Towers of Silence" to be devoured by vultures. In some parts of the world they have a problem now, because the number of vultures declined rapidly due to environmental pollution.

Glenn
12-08-04, 03:08
Then again, no one ever said that it had to be original. :p

Legato
12-08-04, 08:51
This sure reminds me of the Big Lebowski, such great scenes :( I wish I can reach my dream and Die somewhere inside the polar circle with dogs around me, they could eat me if they wish. If I can't achieve that then I would surely give my body to science who knows what science will be able to do with dead bodies by the time I die, well of course I could die tomorrow in that case this post will be my testament. I hope you don't think of me as morbid.

nekosasori
12-08-04, 11:40
I don't want to be buried or cremated; I think I'll be choosing the option described here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/04/11/nbury11.xml

Areku
12-08-04, 14:11
Leave it on the battlefield so someone can cast Life level 3 on it when they had enough MP

EscaFlowne
12-08-04, 14:17
Leave it on the battlefield so someone can cast Life level 3 on it when they had enough MP

True THAT! :balloon: Same Here!

Glenn
12-08-04, 23:18
I don't want to be buried or cremated; I think I'll be choosing the option described here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/04/11/nbury11.xml

Yeah, that looks good to me, too. It seems that this would be my choice for now.

:D:D:D:D:D
That would be pretty cool!

TwistedMac
13-08-04, 12:54

http://prodtn.cafepress.com/8/12186408_F_tn.jpg
I am not a geek (i'm a level 58 necromancer) (http://www.cafeshops.com/cp/browse/?y=0&pp=3&N=20581072&pv=worthlessplanet.12186408&Ntk=All&nr=1&Nao=1&x=0&zoom=yes#zoom)
sort of fits in, huh? :D

Glenn
13-08-04, 22:57
I like that it's a female's shirt. :D :cool:

Frank D. White
14-08-04, 02:59
I like that it's a female's shirt. :D :cool:

I don't know, mine are about that size?

Frank

Glenn
14-08-04, 03:06
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Wow, that's kind of scary, Uncle Frank!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Frank D. White
14-08-04, 03:11
Pepsi's fault, gain fat & lose teeth! Bet my kidneys look like Swiss cheeze!!

Frank

Bounty Hunter
14-08-04, 11:57
I would like to be put in the sea. the world is 70% or 75% water so i will have travelled all over the world.

anadorei
25-08-04, 21:18
definately cremation without the ceremony as i have no real religious affiliation

Lina Inverse
29-08-04, 00:22
I'll just go and possess another body :evil: :D

WyteAnjal
29-08-04, 02:11
I want to be buried with my husband in anyway as long as I am with him (not married yet though but hope to be someday lol)

ashuri2
30-08-04, 22:38
I'll just go and possess another body :evil: :D

that's the best suggestion i've heard yet! :cool:

himagain
08-01-12, 01:50
My wife and I have a burial plot. We plan to have a tombstone. A newspaper notice and a few words spoken by someone wh Knows me well should suffice.

Carlos
08-01-12, 02:56
I want a Catholic ceremony and be buried, but before the worms eat my body that Christians enjoy.

Franco
10-01-12, 04:09
I want to donate my body to scientist research.

Dagne
10-01-12, 08:04
I want to donate my body to scientist research.
One can also donate your body parts to other people. I carry a card with me which says so. One never knows when she may die, so why not to be useful to other people?

Franco
10-01-12, 21:03
Giving your body to science is also useful to other people, not as immediately as donating your organs for sure, but still useful. For example in a university future pyshicians could learn with your dead body, so when they graduate they are skillful enough

Franco
10-01-12, 21:07
As for cryogenization, science will never recover back to life cryogenised corpses. All the cells are destroyed by the cold.

Templar
10-01-12, 21:16
I haven't decided yet.

Dagne
11-01-12, 09:44
Giving your body to science is also useful to other people, not as immediately as donating your organs for sure, but still useful. For example in a university future pyshicians could learn with your dead body, so when they graduate they are skillful enough

My grandma used to say so, she always wanted her body donated for scientific research... But it didn't happened after all - at the end of her life she was very ill and then we buried her and never remembered about her wish... So make concrete arrangement for that now! :)

Maciamo
11-01-12, 11:33
Now that this topic has been revived, I wish to add that I am against cremation in general for four reasons :

1) it destroys DNA, which makes it impossible for (future) population geneticists to study whole populations if cremation is the norm of that particular society (which is why we have so little Roman-era DNA samples)

2) it prevents a fast recycling of organic matter by other life beings (insects, worms, etc.)

3) on a large scale, when hundreds of millions of bodies are cremated each year, it pollutes the air and increase global warming (just like a coal factory would)

4) it prevents use of the body for science and organs donation to people who need them.

himagain
26-01-12, 05:37
Cremation will do for me.