Which period of (Western) history are you interested in?

What are your favourite periods in (Western) history

• Prehistory

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Early Antiquity (Egypt, Babylon...)

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Late Antiquity (Greece, Rome...)

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Early Middle Ages (5th to 10th century)

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Late Middle Ages (11th to 14/15th century)

• Renaissance (14-16th century)

• Modern Times (late 16th to mid 18th century)

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Late 18th, early 19th (French and US revolutions, etc)

• Mid and late 19th (Victorian period)

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Early 20th century (till 1914)

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • WWI (1914-1918)

• 1919-1938

• WWII (1939-1945)

• Cold War (1945 to 1990)

• Contemporary period (from 1991 - "Gulf War")

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Colonial history

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • History of sciences & technologies

• Economic history

• Japanese history

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Chinese History

• Indian History

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters

Miss_apollo7

Cat lover
Reaction score
Ethnic group
I am from YOKOHAMA,Japan!!
Which historical period or theme are you interested in?

Many of you in JRef are interested in Japanese history...:)
However, which period in Japanese history are you primarily interested in, and what theme(s)?

My special areas are:
-WW2.
-Post-war Japan.
-Economic and Political history.
-[Especially the occupation of Japan and especially during the Truman Administration is my interest!]

I found it difficult to make a poll covering all periods and themes, so forgive me.

Last edited by a moderator:
current! what's going on NOW?!

also i'm quite interested in the economical situation from the end of the second world war up until now... interesting stuff..

I have added a poll. Miss Appolo, just tell me if you want to change something.

I took the Western division of history, as it would have been too difficult combining it with India, China, Japan, etc. So I created separate categories for "regional histories" as well as specific themes.

Personally I am intereted in all periods and themes, but especially Greco-Roman Antiquity, Renaissance, Colonial History, Late 18 to late 19th century and economic history (I also chose Japanese history, but mostly the Meiji period).

Frank D. White said:
always loved the Civil War Era.!

Frank

:)
The American civil war era??!! Yeah, this is an interesting period. I have worked within communications of warfare and tactics here in Copenhagen, Denmark, and sometimes we use the American civil war as an example....
I know how to load a muzzle-gun!!!! (and a breech-gun)!

Me, Im a old school guy. So the Renn.- back to the prehistoryis my choice.
The Early and late antiquity being my most loved. I love history :haihai:

Here, have a :balloon:

I agree - Ancient history, especially like Greek and Roman ancient history to late antiquity to early medieval Europe was also an interesting subject for me at school.
However, I have ended up loving modern history today...

Well I love the Japanese culture all the way,also I think in order to understand the current time or future you need to know the history.It's so amazing to see a culture change during centuries!! :haihai:

I like the Heian and Kamakura eras of Japanese history. Thats about 500 years of history between the two though, so there is a lot to learn about. The war stories like the Hieke monogatari and the Taiheiki are really fascinating, and most of the major religious sects and institutions were founded during these eras. The political scene was full of interesting characters and political intrigues between various factions too.

Japanese history, obviously. My special areas are from the Meiji Period through the end of World War II, basically, 1868-1945. I know about it all, but I specialize in the history of the Meiji, Taisho, and early Showa periods.

I would like to know more about my period. dose anyone have a link...
[Points up]

Maybe google later but i'm lazy right now..

I Liked....

the period when all the women had long silky shiny black hair, no color!

Frank

:blush:

umm. everything (?). is that an option? Give me a good history book and i could read from 13.7 billion BC to... well, whenever history ends for now. (I'd say 1992)

I agree with Frank!!!!!
I change my answer!!! Long black silky black hair :hey: :blush: :bluush:

Frank D. White said:
the period when all the women had long silky shiny black hair, no color!

Frank

:blush:

Sorry, I can't say the same in the style of "(...) the period when all the men had nice hairstyles"....hahaha, their hairstyles are not something I find pretty, attractive, sexy, masculine etc.... :lol:

Well, Escaflowne, it was the period where early peoples were experimenting with governmental styles (especially in Greece and Rome - where the basis came for a constitutional monarchial republic and democracy), economic styles (such as irrigation), etc.

Democracy came from ancient Greece. The Greek word "demos" means people in English.
It wasn't as "democratic" when compared to our modern democracy today, however, the ideas derived from Greece.
A link if you want to know more about Greek-Athenian democracy:
http://www.historyguide.org/ancient/lecture6b.html

Thanks for the info. =)

Kinda to add to the question - what is the period you know LEAST about? For me, it would have to be Prehistory. It is the least known are of world history, and it kinda is a study of itself.

Hiroshi66 said:
Thanks for the info. =)

Kinda to add to the question - what is the period you know LEAST about? For me, it would have to be Prehistory. It is the least known are of world history, and it kinda is a study of itself.

Hmm...I would have to say 18th century Europe, which is an interesting period, but I know the least about it. *have to read more* hehe.
Well, it is a difficult question to answer hiroshi, because there are many periods in every country, which are unique, and I could not possibly remember everything.. :lol:
HOwever, I think 18th Century Europe is one of my interesting periods I know least about....and some early mediaeval-late antiquity subjects in Europe e.g. the Barbarians like Goths, the Huns etc...

This thread has been viewed 39107 times.

Back