Lawyer Faces Tribunal for Drunken Antics in Court

Satori

Reaction score
And whoever said prosecutors don't know how to have fun?! :D

Law.com
Lawyer Faces Tribunal for Drunken Antics in Court
Monday August 30, 2:58 am ET
, The Associated Press

A prosecutor who allegedly created a scene by drunkenly giggling in a Hong Kong court will face a tribunal that could disbar him, officials said Friday.

Attorney Roderick Murray put on sunglasses, giggled, clapped and drummed his fingers on his desk during an Aug. 9 hearing, forcing a judge to halt a sentencing.

Murray later acknowledged to reporters that he had consumed two dry martinis and an unspecified number of beers before going to court.

Hong Kong's top prosecutor, Grenville Cross, has issued an apology to Judge Chua Fi-lan, and Murray has been barred from prosecuting any cases in Hong Kong.

The Hong Kong Bar Association now plans to bring Murray before a tribunal, where he could face charges such as misconduct, putting the bar in disrepute or acting disrespectfully to the court.

Penalties could range from a reprimand to permanent disbarment, bar association chairman Edward Chan said by telephone Friday.

Murray is a Scotsman who trained in law at Britain's University of Southhampton. At least for now, he remains a member of the Hong Kong bar with a clean record.

"He is holding a certificate to practice, but whether he is suitable to practice -- he would have to make up his own mind," Chan told The Associated Press.

Copyright 2004 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

http://biz.yahoo.com/law/040830/fdad912ce04f3723b9b0480a799e001d_1.html

Satori said:
Murray later acknowledged to reporters that he had consumed two dry martinis and an unspecified number of beers before going to court.

Hehe...that must have looked like fun! :lol: If I had that much alcohol in me, I would be tap-dancing in court!! :lol:

Satori said:
Murray is a Scotsman who trained in law at Britain's University of Southhampton. At least for now, he remains a member of the Hong Kong bar with a clean record.
Scotsman drinking dry martini and no Scotch Whiskey? I prefer Whiskey instead of a dry martini....but not in court!
:lol:

Thanks for sharing Satori!

You're welcome! I thought it was funny too. Some courtroom proceedings can be so boring. I would have loved to have seen something like that!! :D

This thread has been viewed 4246 times.

Back