Should monarchies be?

Miss_apollo7

Cat lover
Reaction score
Ethnic group
I am from YOKOHAMA,Japan!!
What do you think about Monarchies?
Do you want to keep them or get rid of them?
Can they survive this century: a modern world?

Here in Denmark, the breaking news is that the oldest monarchy in the world, is facing separation/divorce.

The first Danish Royal separation happened 165 years ago, in 1839 when King Christian 8 got divorced and remarried before he became King, and again in 1846 with King Frederik 7.

It has been announced that Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra from Hong Kong is getting separated, and the news not only shocked many people in Denmark, but for some, this news has also raised the question of the monarchy?s role in a modern world, as the royal couple seems to be more ?normal? than ?royal.?
Click:BBC News

The Royal family is no longer extraordinary, as the members mirror the same pattern as normal, civilian families, and the Royal family no longer has political rights, as absolute monarchy has been abolished since 1848.

Members of the Royal family tend to marry ?civilians? now for love instead of other royal people, which was common in some few generations back, when they married because of political alliances.

About political alliances, a good example is from late 19th century, when the Danish King Christian the 9th had all his children married into other royal families of Europe ? and was therefore named ?Europe?s father-in-law.?
-His oldest son, the Crown Prince Frederik, married the Swedish Princess Louise.
-His oldest daughter Alexandra married Queen Victoria?s son, the Prince of Wales, who was from 1901-1910 King Edward 7.
-His son Vilhelm, became king of Greece under the name of George 1.
-His daughter Dagmar, married Alexander, who became the Zar of Russia.

What do you think about the monarchy?

Keep it:
-Keep it, as it is tradition and romantic. (tradition & history)
-Keep it because it contributes to the country?s trade & tourism with the country having official representatives during trade fairs etc...(benefits national economy & goodwill)
-Keep it as having a President is no better (elaborate). (political)

Get rid of it:
-Get rid of it, it is no longer a traditional monarchy anymore, the members of the royal family do not marry for political alliances but marry ?civilians?instead ? what do we need the monarchy for when civilians also become royal members? (tradition & history)
-Get rid of it as it is expensive with the salary they receive from the government. (economy)
-Get rid of it as members of the royal family having more rights than ?normal? people is against my principle. (ideology/political)
-Having a President instead is better. (elaborate). (political)

Last edited:
I don't really see the problem with having a monarchy beside the cost, I mean the rayal familly has become nothing more than a show off case for a country with strong historic heritage and it's kind of neat to have that connection. In present time, however, those things don't matter anymore, we don't really look at the past in the same way, I think, we don't need to be reminded of those times, not so prosperous at least morally I should add. But like in Germany who has a president just for display and a chancelor to govern and even France to a lesser extent, the important thing is the all government and the policies implemented not the one who represents it. Even here in the US, everybody blames Bush, but is he really that powerful? Of course he has a lot of influence but his government constitutes the major force, the ones behind him, advising him, pulling the strings. In conclusion, I'd say that monarchy or republic or even theocracy it doesn't matter as long as it's what the people want so if they decided to cll for a referendum in Daenmark and people voted against the monarchy tnen it would be only fair to ask the royal familly to quietly give up all their connections to the government, they could still be a pivate familly and make the first page of the gossip magazines.

this thread gives me an idea...

Get rid of it! There's absolutely no place for it anymore in our modern times, so abolish these antique relicts. They're just eating up lots of money for absolutely nothing.

Extinct. Old news.

Way Back Then Machine

Old thread and a carry over when Eupedia was still part of Jref. Dig around and you will find all sorts of threads like this.

You can also check out what Eupedia used to look like then too by typing Eupedia's address at www . archive . org, the design has not changed much either, have you Neanderthals ever heard of CSS............ :)

The entire platform probably should be redesigned. Something much more refined is needed. The graphics here are very out of date...

What do you think about Monarchies?
Do you want to keep them or get rid of them?
Can they survive this century: a modern world?

What do you think about the monarchy?

Keep it:
-Keep it, as it is tradition and romantic. (tradition & history)
-Keep it because it contributes to the country�s trade & tourism with the country having official representatives during trade fairs etc...(benefits national economy & goodwill)
-Keep it as having a President is no better (elaborate). (political)

Get rid of it:
-Get rid of it, it is no longer a traditional monarchy anymore, the members of the royal family do not marry for political alliances but marry �civilians�instead � what do we need the monarchy for when civilians also become royal members? (tradition & history)
-Get rid of it as it is expensive with the salary they receive from the government. (economy)
-Get rid of it as members of the royal family having more rights than �normal� people is against my principle. (ideology/political)
-Having a President instead is better. (elaborate). (political)
They serve no purpose in a modern world. The best case for a monarchy was England's King George VI during WW2 - reminding the nation of its traditions and values in adversity. Today, when the world can end with a button press, the morale boost of a titled gentry is of no use or value. A monarch doesn't serve a purpose with asymmetrical warfare (example, anti-jihad) either.
To the extent that they are repositories of history that might be lost, they have some value, but not to the extent that they should be part of the politics of a nation-state. They should likely have some tie-in with the ministry of cultural affairs or tourism. They could make a pound/euro/euro-successor or two for the country/its people.

This thread has been viewed 8493 times.

Back