PDA

View Full Version : "Reputation Points" : RULES

Maciamo
27-09-04, 05:36
I have recently noticed the practice of a few members (LinaInverse, RockLee, Escaflowe, TimF, etc.) to beg for rep points, or exchange favours with their some accomplices.

Let me tell you frankly that I find this unacceptable and against the principles of the reputation system. In fact, I should give negative reputation to all members having participated in these acts of corruption and back scratching, but maybe the rules had not been stated clearly before, so I will abstain this time.

If I do find anyone continuing their unfair trade of rep points (and all admins and moderators have the capability to view any users's reputation comments and who it comes from), I will not hesitate to penalise them (at worst I could reset their rep. to zero). No need to become paranoiac, however. Only give points when a post (not your relation with the other user) deserves it.

So when should you give reputation to someone ?

Reputation is made to reward good members for their participation. I recommend all of you not to be stingy on reputation votes and approve any message that :

- answered your question, gave your relevant information or made you learn something interesting
- was well-written or funny enough to deserve recognition
- express exactly what was in your mind (i.e. agree completely)

However, I do not think that jokes or articles copied and pasted from other sites deserve any reputation points, however good they are. Personal contribution is what matters.

Use the "disapprove" option only when you judge someone's behaviour unacceptable, rude, disrespectful or for spammers. Admins and moderators can also use it to "punish" unruly behaviour or people breaking the forum rules (http://www.eupedia.com/forum/rules.php).

EscaFlowne
27-09-04, 18:25
Beg for Reputation points!?!? As in my sig? I have had that since this was started. I don't believe i have ever asked for a reputation point?? I might have commented to other people that "Wow Frank had like 6 balls I can't wait for mine to grow that large" Its not implying that i'm begging for points. But i understand what your talking about.

Its going out of my sig today. :souka:

Maciamo
27-09-04, 18:46
Alright, Esca. I remember your signature saying "GIVE REPUTATION WHERE NEEDED" in big light blue fonts.

As for the proofs, you rep. comments say (just a selection) :

you want it? YOU GOT IT! /TwistedMac

Thanks for the points and I agree. I love the sig. Buddha Smoker.

Lol Okok Here's some points from the Dreamer :p

Either because of your sig. or because of agreement with these users (which explains why they actually mention their name).

EscaFlowne
27-09-04, 18:49
It wasn't by any agreement. I'm going to look for these points. :souka:

[Edit] I went and searched for the Reputation post thread and that thing was gone. Well since you have the points which post did it come from? And they mention thier name because everybody mentions thier names when they give points. This is insane....i'm againts the whol points system now.

Lina Inverse
28-09-04, 03:51
What about the line in my sig? Can I keep it, or should I take it out?

God
28-09-04, 18:47
I earned my reputation points. BOOYAH. By the way if any of you see this post, what is up with the new age thing showing. I dislike that. And if you wanna know my age check the profile.

RockLee
28-09-04, 21:08
Arrr..busted XD...well...Not that I really care tho :-)

Miss_apollo7
28-09-04, 21:39
I agree that the whole rep point system has become too exaggerated...

I will from now on (28 September 2004, time: 9pm in Denmark) follow the rules and give points to people who truly deserve them. :-)

misa.j
29-09-04, 00:16
What? What happened to my reputation points?
It says that I have disabled reputation points. I was away from the forum for a few days and found that out today.

Could anyone explain it to me? Thanks.

Never mind.
They just came back up as soon as I posted.

sadakoyamamura
05-10-04, 09:22
I also have a 'disabled reputation' :D Made me think I was so so baaaad and then I saw someone with red colored reputation... Can somebody tell me what I did (or didn't do)?? :?

Keiichi
05-10-04, 10:41
A new feature was recently added that allows members to choose whether they want to display their reputation images on their posts. I guess by default (or chosen) that everyone's reputation is to not be displayed by default. If you want it shown, you can change it in your control panel options.

Keiichi

:blush:

innerfire
12-08-05, 18:23
Excuse me but I've just joined JREF days ago and still don't know exactly what "reputation" is and how it works.

1. Does it cost anything to give others reputation?
2. How to add specified points, eg. 20 points, to others' reputation?
3. Can I retrieve the original post to which others' points were added? (It seems that only the corresponding thread page can be located)
4. What's the benefits of a high reputation? (Except for showing off)

Thanks in advance.

Genecks
13-08-05, 05:16
Reputation points are points given to a person for a good post.
If you wish to give someone points, you simple click on the weighing scale located next to the triangle with the exclamation point in it.

I don't know #3
#4 People will believe you more, or look at your post because you have a lot of rep points.

Sometimes people abused the rep system, sometimes people just gave others negative points, sometimes people gave themselves points.

After that some people went to the no rep system.

I like no rep because people won't think of you in a negative way.

innerfire
13-08-05, 06:21
Thanks Genecks!
Then how to know others' reputation?
And, can anyone kindly answer my 1st, 2nd and 3rd questions above?

btw: Genecks, your avatar is cool!!

bossel
13-08-05, 07:59
Thanks Genecks!
Then how to know others' reputation?
And, can anyone kindly answer my 1st, 2nd and 3rd questions above?
Look at the repFAQ:
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/faq.php?faq=faq_rep

In short:
1) No.
2) Not possible.
3) AFAIK, you're taken directly to the post you earned the rep for. May depend on your browser &/or your forum settings, though.

innerfire
13-08-05, 08:17
Thank you bossel for you kind help~~~

Silverpoint
14-08-05, 20:43
Fantastic! I had no idea these things existed! I thought those little colored things were some kind of post count!

Oh boy! Now I've shown my ignorance, my reputation is going to plummet!

lexico
14-08-05, 20:49
I thought those little colored things were some kind of post count !To be totally honest, that was exactly what I was thinking *post counts* till only two-three months ago... I'm really not sure when I understood for sure. :p
Oh boy! Now I've shown my ignorance, my reputation is going to plummet !I believe people get bad reps when they do not know their ignorance, so instead of asking or listening, go on to push it on others. THAT's when things get really bad. :(
You are innocent by all standards. :biggrin:

Shirahime
24-10-05, 15:21
I'm sorry to interrupt you all,,

I'm still confused,,is the "Reputation Points" symbolizes in green-tiny-square that shown in under the avatar??

:?

Mycernius
24-10-05, 18:11
Yep. The more positive rep you get the more green dots you get. If it is black, it means that the person has disabled their rep. If it is red it means that the person has had more negative rep than positive. I have never seen more than two red dots. You only really go into red dots when you start to really annoy most of the members on the forum.
Hope this helps :-)

EDIT: Tell a lie, someone has made it to three red dots. A first as far as I know

Frank D. White
25-10-05, 04:32
11 green dots seem to be the max no matter how many points you get? I was wondering if there is a reason for 11 being the max displayed?

Frank

senseiman
25-10-05, 04:43
Out of curiousity, what is the difference between the dark green and bright green boxes? It seems everybody has a few of each.

Dutch Baka
25-10-05, 07:59
11 green dots seem to be the max no matter how many points you get? I was wondering if there is a reason for 11 being the max displayed?

Frank

how many do you want? i can color a couple of extra for you :D:D:D

Frank D. White
25-10-05, 13:16
how many do you want? i can color a couple of extra for you :D:D:D

1 for each single point of rep would probably blow the server out the window with all the "high rep" members we have here, LOL.

Frank

:blush:

Tsuyoiko
25-10-05, 14:09
I also noticed that no-one has more than 5 dark/ 6 light. I don't get it. :souka:

Jack
25-10-05, 14:13
i dont know the rep on your avy bit is nothing, what i see in my user cp is where its at, i see peoples comments there, and it seems more constructive that way.

Maciamo
25-10-05, 16:17
I am not actually sure why rep balls stop at 11 and not 10 or 12. I suppose it depends on how many reputation levels we admins define (19 positive and 5 negative reputation levels at present). It may just be because there is not enough space in the profile area. My rep points are now over 3600 (didn't notice I had cross the 3000 until a few days ago), so I have added one more rep level from 3000 and another one from 4000 (nobody has reached it yet). So far, only Lexico and Mikecash have over 3000 points apart from myself.

Revenant
25-10-05, 17:02
Rep bars supposedly shows who is a good poster, who is alright, who is average, who is below average, and who is just plain bad. But after a while, when most people who post regularly have full rep bars, do rep bars show nothing of the differences between the good, alright, average, and sometimes below average posters.

Rep power may be in order then. Rep power is based on seniority (every year adds another rep power), number of contributions to the forum (every 1000 posts is another rep power), and rep recieved (every 100 points is another rep power).

So I've got over 500 points, I've been here less than a year, and I've made less than 1000 posts. My rep power would probably be 5.

Lexico has been here less than a year, he's made over 2000 posts, and we'll just say he's got 3000 points. His rep power would be about 32.

EDIT: That's the way it worked at another forum. It may not be this way though, if Maciamo has the rep power arranged somehow differently.

Shirahime
25-10-05, 17:57
So, if one member dosn't post too much (he/she doesn't reach 1000 post)
but stayed in forum for 1 year or 2,,he/she still get the rep points,,,?

Jack
25-10-05, 18:01
i've been here for a while look at my rep and posts, rep means nothing because theres others with full rep, so i find i pointless.

Revenant
25-10-05, 18:09
but stayed in forum for 1 year or 2,,he/she still get the rep points,,,?Not rep points, but rep power. A member may have zero rep points, but still have a rep power of two just cause they have been here a two years (2 years = 2 rep power). Rep power is just the number of points you can positively rep someone. Negative rep worked a bit differently there, it was perhaps two thirds of the rep power.

So saying Lexico's rep power is indeed 32 (2000 posts = +2, 3000 points = 30), he can give you 32 positive rep points, and maybe about 20 negative rep points.

Kaminari
25-10-05, 20:46
Yup - that system of allocating points has merit. I'm off to try how to figure out how to give points to a people or three right away.

Maciamo
26-10-05, 08:39
but stayed in forum for 1 year or 2,,he/she still get the rep points,,,?

Possibly. If people add reputation to that person's old posts, then the reputation will increase, even if that member is not curently active. Reputation power (=the number of points you give others for each vote), is based on how long someone has been member, how many posts they have and their current reputation.

kokusu
06-11-05, 04:24
レップポイント...そうですか。 :souka:

Etto . . . hm.

I like the 'Rep Power' idea just because it makes the whole thing seem more like some sort of RPG-ish adventure game . . .

"Lord Post-a-Lot has gained a level! You have earned 5 skill points and your health increased by 10! Your new level is 'Annihilator of Flamers'! Next level is 1,750 rep points . . . ganbatte!" :emblaugh:

The biggest problem I have here is that it is completely 無理, impossible, for me to not want those #@$% green balls now. *sigh* I guess it seems like we can't ask for them, can't try to get them, and dare not pat our friends on the back too much . . . but the whole thing is just so dang arbitrary!!! :auch:

I reiterate, I really like the 'Rep Power' idea. I think time in, number of posts, and other factors that are less arbitrary could really make someone feel like they have a chance of getting somewhere even if they don't post as often as others or maybe are awkward at writing. 'Successful' posters would still get the lion's share of green balls (why not blue? oh . . . um, nevermind :bluush: ), but everyone could at least make progress, and that in turn could be a form of positive encouragement that would move some people to participate even more. As it stands now, you just have to kind of hope that maybe someone not only likes your posts enough but likes you enough to toss some points your way . . .

Am I kind of whining here? :worried: Heck yes! :p I've got enough balls (looks . . . oh, maybe I should just say 'ball, instead, since it appears I only have one :blush: ) to bravely rant my opinion . . . I just hope that it maybe contributes to perfecting this forum and the rep system. :sorry: :bow:

kokusu
06-11-05, 04:30
Oops . . . A quick P.S.:

I forgot to mention . . . I am grateful for those who have given me reputation points!!! I am very touched that some of my posts have been so favorably received!!! Please, please, please, do not take my comments concerning how I think the rep point system could be improved as ingratitude for your kindness! I am humbly thankful for your consideration!!!

:sorry: :bow: :sorry: :bow:

lastmagi
06-11-05, 05:00
レップポイント...そうですか。 :souka:

Etto . . . hm.

I like the 'Rep Power' idea just because it makes the whole thing seem more like some sort of RPG-ish adventure game . . .

"Lord Post-a-Lot has gained a level! You have earned 5 skill points and your health increased by 10! Your new level is 'Annihilator of Flamers'! Next level is 1,750 rep points . . . ganbatte!" :emblaugh:

Hey, being an RPG buff myself, I like your analogy. :)

I wouldn't worry about rep points so much. Heck, even negative rep points can sometimes be nice; in one of the favorite quotations threads (I think started by Maciamo) there's this quote that's something along the lines of: it's good to have enemies because it means you've stood up for something (I'm too lazy to look it up- sorry Maciamo!). Just add your inputs into the discussions and you'll be fine, rep points or no. It's not like you're being graded; since this is a forum which promotes intellectual discussions, I like to imagine that most people are naturally disposed to like your posts :)

Bucko
11-11-05, 04:31
I think I just got my first bad rep? Not sure, because it came up as a dark blue dot in my user Control Panel (as opposed to green, or red). The person who wrote it said "I think you lack so much in this area !", and it was in regards to this post of mine - http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread.php?p=273038#post273038

Why would I get a bad rep for that post?

Dutch Baka
11-11-05, 09:03
A grey dot indicates that the user gave you reputation, but it counted neither positive or negative.

I think this is because the people who gave it too you, doesn't posted that much yet, so he/she dont have the power to give you a green or a red one.

read more in the F.A.Q. (http://www.eupedia.com/forum/faq.php?)

Gaijin 06
11-11-05, 09:12
Out of curiousity, what is the difference between the dark green and bright green boxes? It seems everybody has a few of each.

Anyone know?

Tsuyoiko
11-11-05, 13:34
I think it is something like this:

1 - 100 = 1 Dark green
101 - 200 = 2 Dark green
201 - 300 = 3 Dark green
301 - 400 = 4 Dark green
401 - 500 = 5 Dark green

501 - 700 = 5 Dark green, 1 Light green
701 - 900 = 5 Dark green, 2 Light green
901 - 1100 = 5 Dark green, 3 Light green
1101 - 1300 = 5 Dark green, 4 Light green
1301 - 1500 = 5 Dark green, 5 Light green
1501+ = 5 Dark green, 6 Light green

You can't distinguish between someone who has 1501 and someone who has a million.

Mycernius
11-11-05, 18:43
I think I just got my first bad rep? Not sure, because it came up as a dark blue dot in my user Control Panel (as opposed to green, or red). The person who wrote it said "I think you lack so much in this area !", and it was in regards to this post of mine - http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread.php?p=273038#post273038

Why would I get a bad rep for that post?
If its grey, I wouldn't worry. The person who posted the rep hasn't made it past 20 posts so any rep they give you doesn't count towards your rep points. If you feel that you have been given bad rep for no reason you can appeal to one of the moderators.

Dutch Baka
11-11-05, 18:56
I think it is something like this:

1 - 100 = 1 Dark green
101 - 200 = 2 Dark green
201 - 300 = 3 Dark green
301 - 400 = 4 Dark green
401 - 500 = 5 Dark green

501 - 700 = 5 Dark green, 1 Light green
701 - 900 = 5 Dark green, 2 Light green
901 - 1100 = 5 Dark green, 3 Light green
1101 - 1300 = 5 Dark green, 4 Light green
1301 - 1500 = 5 Dark green, 5 Light green
1501+ = 5 Dark green, 6 Light green

You can't distinguish between someone who has 1501 and someone who has a million.

Than i just need 14 points and i have 5dark, and 5 green balls

Tsuyoiko
11-11-05, 19:23
Than i just need 14 points and i have 5dark, and 5 green ballsSo if I'm right you should get another ball next time you get another rep point. Just not sure whether we should be discussing your balls in public ;-) :blush:

Dutch Baka
11-11-05, 19:39
we just call them green balls, instead of squars! the word Balls is nicer!!!!

Dutch Baka
17-12-05, 14:32
Huh, i wanted to give somebody Neg rep point, but i couldn't... i could only aprove .. not disaprove.. why is that?

Normaly i dont give neg points, but this person just talks to much crap.....

thomas
17-12-05, 14:39
Huh, i wanted to give somebody Neg rep point, but i couldn't... i could only aprove .. not disaprove.. why is that?

Normaly i dont give neg points, but this person just talks to much crap.....

Please read the sticky

=> http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20860

Frank D. White
17-12-05, 16:13
Please read the sticky

=> http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20860

Let's stay one big happy family and let staff get rid of problems with banning and warnings.

Uncle Frank

Dutch Baka
17-12-05, 16:14
mmm to bad, i liked it but understand it... thanks for the fast reply....

so how about this Awards Thomas? because i like the thing from Jref of getting rep points, so awards would be nice..... and is it maybe posible to get more green balls?

kirei_na_me
17-12-05, 16:20
I'm all for it, Thomas. :cool:

Elizabeth
17-12-05, 17:18
Why it wasn't done 2 months or 2 years ago is a problem with multiple admins I suppose....but anyway, yeah, better late than never. :) Hopefully at least some of the damage is reversible.

Dutch Baka
17-12-05, 17:36
or maybe we will find out, that it was a really interresting thing, but they way of how it is being used wasn't good....

so how about that you can give rep point positive, and a button where you can send something that you disaprove the post, without that points are being taken off?

Glenn
20-12-05, 00:06
How about sending a PM?

Mary
06-02-15, 19:15
Ooooo :boing2: I have been playing around and giving out reputation all good reputation :uhyeah and then I came too "you have given out too much reputation within the last 24 hours, try again later" So, how many reputation points before you can vote again on someone?And....how many reputation points are you allowed to give in 24 hours? :asian: