Jimmy Carter's Washington Post column

No-name

Banned
Reaction score
Jimmy Carter's September 27, 2004 column is highly critical of the Florida election system and warns that another debacle is in the making. Among his charges are that a highly partisan secretary of state's office is endeavoring hard to swing the vote to Bush.

sabro said:
Jimmy Carter's September 27, 2004 column is highly critical of the Florida election system and warns that another debacle is in the making. Among his charges are that a highly partisan secretary of state's office is endeavoring hard to swing the vote to Bush.

I completely agree with him, and I'm glad he's coming forward and speaking about this in the press. Thank goodness it's getting coverage too. These days with all of the conglomerate media sources that back Bush, it's amazing anything like this receives any type of coverage at all. :souka:

I have no doubt whatsoever that Bush & Co. will attempt another rigged election this year. The new electronic voting system really worries me. :?

Rigged election...

Do you really believe that the last was rigged? I mean, honestly? Sure the system is flawed, but does that count as intentional rigging?

As for coverage supporting Bush; what part of the media have you been exposed to?

All I see, thanks to the obvious liberally biased media, are slaunder, and less-than-eloquent damnations of Pres. Bush.

I have no doubt that either party would rig any election if they felt they could get away with it. I would guess that most people would be surprised and disgusted by what the two main political parties do to ensure they stay in power. Honesty and politics just don't mix.

Fantt said:
I have no doubt that either party would rig any election if they felt they could get away with it. I would guess that most people would be surprised and disgusted by what the two main political parties do to ensure they stay in power. Honesty and politics just don't mix.

i think that you are a little too distrustful of the government. i understand that both parties go to great lengths to get their person/policy in office. but look at watergate, when a party goes to far and is found out, it hurts them for a long long time, people still are distrustful because of nixon, clinton, and other such incidents.

Everyone should be distrustful of the government. Remember theTuskegee Experiments where our government did horrible things to southern blacks? Remember the entire Vietnam War? Go watch some of Lyndon Johnson's speeches from that era where he said, "We will never abandon the brave Vietnamese people." Most information coming from governmental officials is either a lie or misleading.

I'm not saying that our government is evil or that all of the people in the government are bad. I don't believe that at all, but I think the very nature of a system which puts a very few people (500+ congress critters, the president and his cabinent and the supreme court) in charge of 300 million people (their health, their wealth, their security and their education) is that it will never be a fount of objective, honest information.

Basically, I'm opposed to anything which limits my personal freedom. Government by it's very existance does that - some governments worse than others. I used to be a pretty hard core anarchist, but I don't think that the lack of a government would be any good either. I just don't think our current form of government is very good.

This thread has been viewed 5177 times.

Back