What would you do if you were drafted?

What would you do if you were drafted?

• I would serve my country.

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • I would leave my country.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • I would rather go to jail.

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • It would depend on the circumstances of the conflict, but probably go.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • It would depend on the circumstances of the conflict, but probably not go.

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • I have already been drafted and I served.

• I have already been drafted and I didn't serve.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I am/was already a member of my country's military and I volunteered.

• I would volunteer before being drafted.

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • I am beyond recall age (and have never served)

• Total voters
Depends. If it was now, for Iraq, then no. If it was for civil war or WWII, I'd probably go.

I would leave. I dont' beleive in war. The only war worth fighting in the last 60 years was WWII. So unless Hitler came back from the grave and tried to establish the third reich agian I would leave.

You forgot to include "I have already served voluntarily" and "I have already served voluntarily and am past recall age"

mikecash said:
You forgot to include "I have already served voluntarily" and "I have already served voluntarily and am past recall age"

Mike it is sooooo scary how much you and I think alike (sometimes)...I was just getting ready to post something similar! :D

I'd Love To Go !!!

Even though I'm over the hill, it would be great to put my long range shooting skills back to work! I would love to send deserving enemies to their graves; better than any video game out! What better way to lose your aggression then government santioned killing; makes me drool to think about all that blood & gore. Don't wait for the draft, run down & join now!

Frank

PS - KILL KILL KILL, RAH RAH RAH!!

:blush:

Brooker said:
I've made the changes to the poll.

Thanks for remember us veterans. If possible, please shift my vote to that from the "would volunteer before being drafted" thingy.

Frank D. White said:
Even though I'm over the hill, it would be great to put my long range shooting skills back to work! I would love to send deserving enemies to their graves; better than any video game out! What better way to lose your aggression then government santioned killing; makes me drool to think about all that blood & gore. Don't wait for the draft, run down & join now!

Frank

There's a stance you don't hear very often. :bikkuri: Never really thought of it like that. :gun: :kaioken:

mikecash wrote...
Thanks for remember us veterans. If possible, please shift my vote to that from the "would volunteer before being drafted" thingy.

Done.

I think Frank was being sarcastic, so I wouldn't get too bent out of shape. :eek:kashii:

Well, I guess I'm not in danger of being drafted, but I do have a plan for my sons if ever they're drafted. They have dual citizenship, so if they are drafted, I'll just ship them to Japan.

Patriotism versus Humanism... that's a though choice. I don't usually wake up in the morning with strange urges envolving Spaniards, a rusty sword and some Albrecht Durer visions of hell on Earth. But I admit I can get bitchy before my mourning coffee.
This being said, the only way I could get forced to fight was if the sovereignty of my country was in peril, like for instance in the last EuroCup, when hordes of tourists swarmed down into our towns and pubs and drunk all of our beer!

Two things come into mind though, that would make me think about raising even a fruit knife at my "enemy": One would be the "how moral is this conflict" and the other "how moral is my government". But in the end it is my country and for the good or for the bad I would have to defend it and I would volunteer. Though if I has faced into serving overseas and getting involved into overthrowing a over-the-hill dictator, I would say no and I would prefer the brig.

I see it this way: I am willing to defend my country. Well, sending more troops to Iraq increases social unrest causing more people of Iraq to resort to terrorist tactics. Seems to me, sending more troops to Iraq only recruits more terrorists, which is the opposite of defending my country.

:?

Perhaps we should try diplomacy.

mad pierrot said:
I see it this way: I am willing to defend my country. Well, sending more troops to Iraq increases social unrest causing more people of Iraq to resort to terrorist tactics. Seems to me, sending more troops to Iraq only recruits more terrorists, which is the opposite of defending my country.

What a great answer! :cool:

Yes, excellent answer, mad p.

It depends on what the reasons are for the war.
The enemy of Taiwan is the corrupt, oppressive and dictatorial People's Republic of China.
If Taiwan would be attacked by China then I would probably defend it, because I believe in the ideals of freedom and democracy and I don't want that to be taken away from us.

I would never join any army! Don't want to end up as cannon fodder.

In a case like Wang described, though, I would probably join some small (!) resistance group & try to take out the occasional soldier or tank.
Hey! That would make me one of those thugs & assassins Bush likes to talk about, wouldn't it?

mad pierrot said:

Wasn't the question about being drafted in general, and not about the current conflict?

Not bloody likely, since I had the luck to be classified "unsuitable" during the suitability test for the military service :D
Over here, once you become 18 there's a suitability test, and if you pass it, you have to serve for a year, However, you could still refuse and do social services instead (which are a bit longer, I think).

Frank D. White said:

Frank

Uh-oh... Uncle Frank has forgotten to take his Prozac once again, and this time it's really bad :relief:
Run for the hills, he's already foaming at the mouth! :shock:

Lina Inverse wrote...
Over here, once you become 18 there's a suitability test, and if you pass it, you have to serve for a year, However, you could still refuse and do social services instead (which are a bit longer, I think).

My father was a U.S. Marine back in Vietnam and he said he had to take a similar kind of test. He told some rather entertaining stories about what some guys did in order to FAIL this test. One involved putting the contents of a jar of chunky peanut butter down your pants. When asked about the strange substance during the physical examination, the potential recruit scooped some of it up into his mouth and declaired, "I believe it's sh**, sir". He was denied entrance for "mental reasons".

Sorry if that was too racey, but hey, I heard that story from my dad. I tried not to be too graphic about it. :)

Brooker said:
My father was a U.S. Marine back in Vietnam and he said he had to take a similar kind of test. He told some rather entertaining stories about what some guys did in order to FAIL this test. One involved putting the contents of a jar of chunky peanut butter down your pants. When asked about the strange substance during the physical examination, the potential recruit scooped some of it up into his mouth and declaired, "I believe it's sh**, sir". He was denied entrance for "mental reasons".

Sorry if that was too racey, but hey, I heard that story from my dad. I tried not to be too graphic about it. :)

That story reminds me of the film 'Training Day'.

Oh, and to stay on topic, I chose "It would depend on the circumstances of the conflict, but probably not go." I am completely against war and don't see how a group of poor people (Me and everyone else getting the royal screwjob) murdering a group of another nation's poor people makes any sense. Why should I go and kill others who most likely don't wish to be there either? I don't need that on my conscience, I also don't need a bullet to the head. If I was drafted it'd be cool though, because my parents would pay for me to go live in Japan to get away from it, so I welcome them to draft me.

This thread has been viewed 64987 times.

Back