multiculturalism good or bad??

mecharmor23

Reaction score
I think xenophobia is a world wide problem not just Japan. If you go to google.com and search the terms "anti-multiculturalism" you will find that it is becoming an increasing problem outside of the Asian continent.

In north america, there is a rising problem with groups made by Ernst Zundel, Paul Fromm, Ingrid Rimland are just a few who want their "white-racial-superiority" back. Even these guys are blaming all the crime on foreigners.

Some people believe that global isolationism and homogenous societies are the key to solving economic problems. I have been observing through many variety of forums and it appears that more and more people from western societies are supporting this idea.

I know immigration might be an issue in some countries but I can't see how it is the fault of an entire race. Paul Fromm, a canadian who heads a group called CAFE '"canadian association for freedom of expression" or canadafirst.net seems to believe that multiculturalism is the cause of racial prejudice. I don't know if it is right or wrong though.
You can find the guys website at www.paulfromm.com

Some people in the western culture seems to be afraid of the Asian culture. They don't want the european culture to become forgotten or the west to become the east.

Xenophobia comes from both sides actually. There seems to be an increasing fear amongst the western culture. The current recession might turn to depression and then war.

What are your opinions. I support multiculturalism because I am raised on that idea and have friends from just about every country. If you are against multiculturalism then I would like to know why. I don't support anyone that I have named in my post, as I only accidently bumped into their sites when I am researching on economic and population statistics around the world.

Is multiculturalism good or bad?

Your opinions are greatly appreicated.

I support multiculturalism, I believe that by understanding different cultures and communicating people of different cultures,would help to reduce conflicts,and wars.

but then, although I am a westernized Asian guy, somewhere in me I want to preserve my culture

I was reading some article in a magazine,an English guy,who is into buying and selling arts by Chinese artists,
he asked a question : 'where are the buildings from the Tong,Sung kingdoms? the most ancient buildings are in Japan and India,they are keeping them so well, but you Chinese have destroyed all those buildings'

some places in China are becoming more and more western
there are some Asians who tries so hard to be white,to be black,why can't we just be ourselves?

The idea that there is such a thing as a mono culture is a load of crap
Here's some street grafitti i saw in Europe (paraphrased, = can't remember exactly)
Your numerals are Arabic
Your letters are Roman
Your shoes come from Indonesia
You eat apricots from Turkey and oranges from Israel
Your system of government comes from Greece
Your religion comes from Palestine.
Now tell me that you're living in a mono culture

I support multiculturalism though it doesnt matter. I will be killed by a race war anyways, I am seeing traces of a civil war brewing here wether they(goverment) will admit it or not, The whole anti-immagrant and destiny church thing. It makes me miss the safty of the states.

I'd look at what he considers ancient. The Forbidden City is older than the Taj Mahal, or many of the other Mogul buildings; and those aren't ancient. In India, "ancient" would mean Vedic or Saraswati (Harappan), imo, (at least in Northern India) and there's not much of that because most of it was built of wood.

As for multiculturalism, it's what I do (I work with books in different languages and from different places), and I learn a lot and believe I'm a better person because of it.

Dream Time said:
I was reading some article in a magazine,an English guy,who is into buying and selling arts by Chinese artists,
he asked a question : 'where are the buildings from the Tong,Sung kingdoms? the most ancient buildings are in Japan and India,they are keeping them so well, but you Chinese have destroyed all those buildings'

i support mutli-culturalism, but not illegal imagration. have you ever seen amerasian babies? their so cute!!!!!

Of course multi-culturalism is important. People like PaulFromm are, well, morons. The best way to overcome sentiments like his? Through education, pure and simple. And, I think the best way to educate someone about other cultures is to immerse them into it, a.k.a, travel! I think it's that lack of international experience that is the biggest barrier in Amercia. Too many American have never been outside their country, and it skews their views, especially on foreign policy. What are those rumors floating around that Prez Bush never had a passport before he was elected? This is less of a problem in major cities in the US, say like NY, Chicago, and LA. (Ironically counties that voted for Kerry as well.) Some of this is, of course, not completely their fault. International travel is expensive, and many people can't afford it. Not to mention America's geography gets in the way. (Fly in a plane for 8 hourse, cross the continent, and people still speak English and shop at Walmart...)

You Europeans are so lucky.....

:p :relief:

Dream Time said:
I support multiculturalism, I believe that by understanding different cultures and communicating people of different cultures,would help to reduce conflicts,and wars.

I've got to agree with you on this one Dream Time... I'm all for multiculturalism, as long as every culture in the mix has fair and equal opportunities

And don't forget Matt Hale, the racist jerk who littered my best friend's neighborhood (where several different ethnicities live) with white-supremacy propaganda... yeah, that guy who tried to have that one judge killed in Chicago...

I support multicultarism because with it we can get a better understanding of how each and every single one of us are uniquely different.

My eyes can see a rising problem with too much westernization. In particular in India and Afghanistan, where maybe in ten years when those nations become extremely prominent, their culture might have been influenced under the western wing.

Besides, true freedom comes in the form that all of us as people can live according to our beliefs.

I support selective multi-culturalism. Sadly, not all cultures in this world are ready to live along with others.

Multiculturalism is fine in principal. We can all learn and advance as human beings through direct exposure to cultures and people different from our own. However, I do not support large scale Third World immigration to Western countries. The problems that come with such are potentially extreme.

Well I would argue that on a basic level no one is for multi culturalism.

Why?
If you look at your friends, and someone asked you why are these people your friends? You might say we have alot in common we share similar interests.

A fundamental truth of human nature is we like people who are like us, we like predictability and familiarity. We choose our friends on this basis, for that to work on a cultural level youwould require a certain level of intergration.

From my experience it doesn't work, either people intergrate into a new indenitty, the immigrants blend into the native culture or you get pockets of immigrants maintaining their own customs cut off from social activity in the mainstream.

It's stupidity.

China is ofr chinese, England for englishmen, Arabia for arabians.

Who want to see, and enjoy chinese culture, the humanity has a job called "tourism". Travel by plane, go there and enjoy. We don't need another culture in our places.

Every country has its own history and culture and must continue with that.

To try to create a multi-cultural nation and expect a stable thing to emerge is nonsense.

To start with the use of the word “culture” in such a context is wrong because the dimensions attributed to “culture” extend deeply into those of nationality.

Culture, and even then the word should be lifestyle, when it is restricted to those things associated with custom and practice, diet, dress, diet, and traditions are entirely reasonable things to be introduced into a nation by immigration.

Such things usually either become lost after a couple of generations or if beneficial or valuable to the host nation get taken up in short order.

On the other hand when a nationality is what is involved, and a host nation is expected to accept the creation of a group of people who demand to retain their own nationality within a host nation then that is wrong.

If they refuse to integrate with the host nation, and over a period of time assume the nationality of the host, including all that goes with it, then that is wrong.

That is not becoming multi-cultural, that is becoming colonised, and to see the effects of colonisation it is only necessary to look at history.

Multi-ethnic, fine. Multi lifestyle, fine, at least up to the point that the ‘new’ lifestyle clashes adversely with that of the host, when it is NOT fine,

But multi national , aka multi-cultural? Absolutely NOT fine. It is a recipe for disaster.

It's stupidity.

China is ofr chinese, England for englishmen, Arabia for arabians.

Who want to see, and enjoy chinese culture, the humanity has a job called "tourism". Travel by plane, go there and enjoy. We don't need another culture in our places.

Every country has its own history and culture and must continue with that.

What you describe is tribalism.

We in Europe grew out of that years ago.

It's an attitude that is contrary to the spirit of the EU and real Europeans.

Keep in mind that it takes a damm site more than joining us in the EU by having you state accepted in order to be a European.

Keep your lifestyles, keep your traditions, but become a part of the gestalt that is the EU.

And "gestalt" is the perfect word to describe where we are going.

I think Singapore is the best example of thriving multiculturalism.

I don't think what we need is multiculturalism. I don't like multiculturalism. Basically I want to keep my culture, language, customs, traditions, and even ethnicity. But what we have is not a 'natural' multiculturalism, but a 'forced' multiculturalism, due to globalization, mass immigration, etc.

I don't think what we need is multiculturalism. I don't like multiculturalism. Basically I want to keep my culture, language, customs, traditions, and even ethnicity. But what we have is not a 'natural' multiculturalism, but a 'forced' multiculturalism, due to globalization, mass immigration, etc.

...and "forced" multiculturalism can bring with it serious social disequilibrium.

What you describe is tribalism.

We in Europe grew out of that years ago.

It's an attitude that is contrary to the spirit of the EU and real Europeans.

Keep in mind that it takes a damm site more than joining us in the EU by having you state accepted in order to be a European.
Keep your lifestyles, keep your traditions, but become a part of the gestalt that is the EU.
And "gestalt" is the perfect word to describe where we are going.
Some in Europe may have, but Wales emphatically has not.

This thread has been viewed 49640 times.

Back