Legal help

ax

squabblemaker
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Chinese Hakka
I was hired by the company I am working for now since August.
I have worked for at least 5 months now. They fire me on the ground that I can not communicate well enough in Japanese. Can I seek legal help or counseling to get a new job? I really don't know what to do. I have spent everything just to get to Japan and have a proper job.

ax

I can't understand how legal help or counselling would come into play for finding a new job. Maybe if you wanted to take action against your old employer to get your old job back, but not for a new place.

Where are you in Japan and what line of work are you in?

If your occupation absolutely requires a certain level of Japanese proficiency and you don't have it, then you will have to look into doing different work until your Japanese improves. If it was just that particular employer, then you may have better luck with another company doing the same type of work.

You need to visit the local employment office in your area (often called "?n???[?E???[?N") and/or take a look through job information magazines. The latter are available at your local bookstore or convenience store.

I am sorry... Its really come as sudden as the tidal waves this morning...
I am in Yokohama, Tanmachi to be exact and I work for a small Supplement company. The company had a huge investment this June and put a lot of money into offices and staffs, they hired me because I speak English, Chinese and a little Japanese so I can take care of the IT and help the user with different language background and communicate with the service provider as well. I have no problem communicating with vendors and my boss. The only problem is to communicate to other co-workers who speak zero English.

I have thought over it, maybe the title of this thread has to change. The company owes me nothing. First when they granted me the job, I asked for a contract. They said no contract, so I submitted to their will then came to Japan anyway. Then they start cutting my salary once I arrived in Japan on the ground that the company is not doing well in Taiwan. It continues on until they finally have me laid off today. I heard the probation period in Japan is 6 month. So if I haven't passed 6 months and they might have every right to turn me down and let me go.

I have no rights, nada. All I have to do is to find a new Job. I am hoping this forum might offer a bit of help.

Cordially

ax

At my company the probation period is three months. I am not certain what the law is on this. If you were not a contract employee and if the period is three months, you might be able to take some action. It sounds like they have treated you like 5h1t.

It sounds like they overextended themselves and when it came time to cut expenses they decided to axe the gaijin.

Contact your local ?J????? (Roudou Kijunkyoku) and see if you have any legal recourse against them for wrongful termination, severance pay, etc.

Did they sponsor your visa? I have always been on a spouse visa myself, so I don't know anything about the obligations of the sponsor, but you might want to get information on that as well.

I CAN"T OFFER HELP....

only sympathy. To lose ones job is an emotional bomb, it hurts! To be in a strange country without support from family & friends makes it all the more difficult. I wish you the best of luck on a solution.

Frank

:(

Frank D. White said:
only sympathy. To lose ones job is an emotional bomb, it hurts! To be in a strange country without support from family & friends makes it all the more difficult. I wish you the best of luck on a solution.
My deepest sympathies as well, ax ! ?C?̓łˁB?@In retrospect, the signs of ill omen may all have been there, it's just so easy to ignore them in such a drastic situation. Really hope you're already on the way to finding something more soon, at least enough to cover food and rent. :(

?d?????????܂?????A?{???Ɉ??????΂??葱???Ă???̂ŁA?ƂĂ?????????ł???ł??傤?ˁB
?قƂ?ǂ??p??b?̐搶?̕?W?ł????A???X???̎d????????܂???B
?????Ă????{?ꂪ?????ɘb???Ȃ??Ƃ????Ȃ??Ƃ????????????Č??‚???܂??񂯂?ǁB
???āA?ǂ?Ȏd???????‚??Ă??Ȃ?ׂ?????Ɗ???؂??Ă???΂??Ă????????ˁB:cool:

ax said:
My visa was sponsored by the company while I was in Taipei. They recruited me from Taipei and put me to work in Yokohama. Thanks for your advice Mike, I will check a bit about the law if I can get some severance pay or something.

ax

I believe the sponsor of a visa is legally responsible for plane fare back home. Something to keep in mind if you end up deciding to return.

I know it must be tough on you...especially considering your in a foreign country with your family quite a distance. I am faitful you'll find something in good time.

I'm sorry to say but as I expect that employment laws in Japan regarding dismissal are probably NOT as progressive as they are in the UK. And there, for instance, an employer can immediately dismiss you on basically any grounds within the first 12 months of your contract. They don't have to offer an explanation. In fact it's when they do try to justify their actions that they open themselves up for wrongful dismissal claims.

This is why so many people are only offered 12 month contracts these days. And even back in the 1980s and 90s anyone working in advertising or marketing knew that dismissal was always immediate - like go back to your desk under the supervision of building security, clear out all personal items and bye-bye then!

It's no consolation whatsoever but your former employers will probably offer you an excellent reference, even though they deemed you unsuitable for the position. A bad reference suggests that they made a mistake in the first place - not something any Japanese manager will admit to.

Are you here alone or with a family?

That really sucks *_* I didn't know working in Japan can be like that! I hope that people who are going to Japan to work know this...

miu said:
That really sucks *_* I didn't know working in Japan can be like that! I hope that people who are going to Japan to work know this...

Today's vocabulary item: ?g???̂? (tsukaisute)

thanks mr.sumo.snr for your advise...
I am going right to my boss one of these days and ask him for reference.
I am here alone....it isn't as bad compared to the news of the tidal waves in sumatra, but yet, I need to survive...if you guys knows a job out there and can refer me.... please pm me about where to send my resume.... I've been updating my resume recently in english and Japanese crossing my finger that I will get a new job soon.

ax

This thread has been viewed 12367 times.

Back