Shifty Eyes

den4

Reaction score
Neuroscientists discover that humans evaluate emotions by looking at the eyes

If your mother ever told you to watch out for strangers with shifty eyes, you can start taking her advice to heart. Neuroscientists exploring a region of the brain associated with the recognition of emotional expressions have concluded that it is the eye region that we scan when our brains process information about other people's emotions. Reporting in the January 6 issue of the journal Nature, California Institute of Technology neuroscientist Ralph Adolphs and colleagues at the University of Iowa, University of Montreal, and University of Glasgow describe new results they have obtained with a patient suffering from a rare genetic malady that has destroyed her brain's amygdala. The amygdala are found in each side of the brain in the medial temporal lobe and are known to process information about facial emotions. The patient, who has been studied by the researchers at the University of Iowa for a decade, shows an intriguing inability to recognize fear and other emotions from facial expressions.

"The fact that the amygdala is involved in fear recognition has been borne out by a large number of studies," explains Adolphs. "But until now the mechanisms through which amygdala damage compromises fear recognition have not been identified."

Although Adolphs and his colleagues have known for years that the woman is unable to recognize fear from facial expressions in others, they didn't know until recently that her problem was an inability to focus on the eye region of others when judging their emotions. They discovered this by carefully recording the way her eyes focused on pictures of faces.

In normal test subjects, a person's eyes dart from area to area of a face in a quick, largely unconscious program of evaluating facial expressions to recognize emotions. The woman, by contrast, tended to stare straight ahead at the photographs, displaying no tendency to regard the eyes at all. As a result, she was nonjudgmental in her interpersonal dealings, often trusting even those individuals who didn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

However, the good news is that the woman could be trained to look at the eyes in the photographs, even though she had no natural inclination to do so. When she deliberately looked at the eyes upon being instructed to do so, she had a normal ability to recognize fear in the faces.

According to Adolphs, the study is a step forward in better understanding the human brain's perceptual mechanisms, and also a practical key in possible therapies to help certain patients with defective emotional perception lead more normal lives.

In terms of the former, Adolphs says that the amygdala's role in fear recognition will probably be better understood with additional research such as that now going on in Caltech's new magnetic resonance imaging lab. "It would be naïve to ascribe these findings to one single brain structure," he says. "Many parts of the brain work together, so a more accurate picture will probably relate cognitive abilities to a network of brain structures.

"Therefore, the things the amygdala do together with other parts of the brain are going to be a complex matter that will take a long time to figure out."

However, the very fact that the woman could be trained to evaluate fear in other people's faces is encouraging news for individuals with autism and other maladies that cause problems in their recognizing other people's emotions, Adolphs says.

"Maybe people with autism could be helped if they were trained how to look at the world and how to look at people's faces to improve their social functioning," he says.

Adolphs is a professor of psychology and neuroscience at Caltech, and holds a joint appointment at the University of Iowa College of Medicine. The other authors of the paper are Frederic Gosselin, Tony Buchanan, Daniel Tranel, Philippe Schyns, and Antonio Damasio.

From Caltech
http://pr.caltech.edu/media/Press_Releases/PR12630.html

Interesting article, thanks for your post, den4.

Making an eye contact is one of the strategies I use whenever necessary, and it proved me that I understand about people much better if I am looking at their eyes.

I think there are people who can't make an eye contact because of their desease like the autistics, as mentioned in the article, but I am interested to know how this research will help them.

Very interesting article, and I think its significance goes beyond fear recognition or understanding emotions on a personal level.
This may help historians and anthropologists understand the strange Asian tradition of eye-line hierarchy; simply put, the higher the person in the social order, the higher the eye-line.
I could never understand why looking at a senior person straight in the eye was threatening to his/her authority.
According to the study you just quoted, the answer is simple.
Because it betrays the persons emotions, which can weaken one's control over one's juniors, supposedly.
It also explains why certain persons in power like to wear sunglasses.
To hide one's insecurity!
Isn't that funny.
To project an illusion of power and control when in reality they are suffering from the same kind of emotions.
btw, the West, may I say, hasn't been free from this masquarade of strength, saying "boys souldn't cry in public."
For those of us who aren't used to reading another's eyes, good interpersonal communication will always remain a hurdle.
But it's good news that it's a skill that can be learned.

This thread has been viewed 5335 times.

Back