PDA

View Full Version : Which classical composers do you know ?

Maciamo
25-01-05, 05:01
And which ones do you like (outside the poll).

epigene
25-01-05, 05:28
I used to like JS Bach, but his music makes me go to sleep these days... Getting too old? :p (Sorry, I found Bach in the list... :relief: )

Oh yes, there's a composer I recently heard of and would like to listen to: Alexander Scrabin. Any opinions on him?

I don't know Telemann and Rameau. Who are they?

JustJosh
25-01-05, 05:39
Hmmm, I only know a handfull. I've probably heard works by others without knowing it though.

I can never listen to Beethoven the same after Clockwork Orange...

kirei_na_me
25-01-05, 05:47
I am not a huge fan of classical music, but I do like some pieces by Johann Sebastian Bach, Debussy, Chopin, Mozart, Vivaldi, Tchaikovski, Schubert, and Beethoven. I have heard of almost all of the ones on the poll, because my husband loves classical music, but I am just not as fond of it as he is.

Shooter452
25-01-05, 05:59
Adagio for Strings. Excellant piece, better known to general public as the theme from the Oliver Stone motion picture Platoon.

Add: Antonin Dvorak (1841-1904)

Symphony no. 9 in E minor, "From the New World" (1893). Greatness inspired by the Americas.

There are more, but these two will do.

For now.

Ars longa, vita brevis

Glenn
25-01-05, 06:17
I'm not sure what you mean by "know," but I know of all of them except for five. I like Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev, Mozart, J.S. Bach, Mendelssohn, Vivaldi, and Beethoven (I guess that's all of them). Of course, I haven't listened extensively to them all, but I like the Violin Concerto in E minor by Mendelssohn, the Winter movement of the Four Seasons (well, it's my favorite of them, anyway) by Vivaldi, Symphony No. 40 by Mozart (also my favorite), Symphony No.2 by Rachmaninoff, Sonata for violin and piano, No. 1 in F minor by Prokofiev, Bach's inventions as well as the Brandenburg Concertos and the Toccata and Fugue in D minor for organ (of course :-)), and Beethoven's "hits" (Symphonies No. 5 and 7, and Moonlight Sonata). I've heard some stuff by Handel and Haydn that I've liked, but I can't remember them. Also, I've been told to check out Brahms, but I haven't heard much of his stuff. Stravinsky's stuff seems really interesting, but serial music has always been a bit hard for me to swallow, although I find it much more enjoyable now than I used to.

m477
25-01-05, 06:44
Hmm, interesting thread. I think Sibelius should be on that list as well.

When I was in high school, I really loved music from the Romantic era, like Tchaikovsky, Saint-Saens, Paganini, etc.

Now that I've gotten a bit older, my tastes have changed and now I prefer 20th century composers such as Shostakovich, Bartok, Stravinsky, Berg, Janacek, Martinu, Poulenc, to name a few.

Maciamo
25-01-05, 07:12
Apart from the easy listenning Baroque (Vivaldi, Bach...) and Classical (Mozart, Haydn...), my favourites are Beethoven, Schumann, Brahms, Liszt, Richard Strauss, Mahler, Bruckner, Wagner (all the Germans and Austrians :p ) and Shostakovich. Many composers are famous mostly for one of their works. Among them my favourite are Holst's Planets, Saint-Saens' Organ Symphony and Berlioz's Faust.

lexico
25-01-05, 07:13
To know and not to know, what is the difference?
If being familiar with the names count, I've heard most of them.
But to know with passionate love, I would have to list the great guitar composers; Carcassi, Giuliani, Tarrega, Granados, & Albeniz are missing!
Bach, Beethoven and Schubert also loved guitar music.
Guitars don't last long; 50 yrs if lucky.

Art is long, guitar is short!

Maciamo
25-01-05, 07:15
To know and not to know, what is the difference?
If being familiar with the names count, I've heard most of them.

By "know" I mean having heard the music and being able to identify (if not the piece of music itself, at least) the composer's name when hearing it.

mad pierrot
25-01-05, 09:40
Modest Petrovich Mussorgsky count?

I love his music.

:music:

Dream Time
25-01-05, 09:57
Yngwie Malmsteen

Glenn
25-01-05, 10:26
Er, I don't think he counts.

ax
25-01-05, 11:16
Secret Garden and Vanessa Mae should count. I never know these all these clasical prodigy in person, but I just tick those name that I feel familiar with.

ax

Flashjeff
25-01-05, 13:08
Hey! Why weren't Lennon and McCartney on that list???
:D

Seriously, I'm familiar with Mozart, Beethoven and Wagner. "Ride of the Valkyries" really stirs the blood!
:cool:

Sally_Hawn
25-01-05, 13:45
I threw away Vanessa Mae's CD after hearing it once. I LOVE Pachelbel, Vivaldi, Mozart, Beethoven, Rossini, Bizet, Rimsky-Korsakoff, Tchaikovsky, Khachaturian and Chopin.

Most of the people I know like to listen to Chopin's Fantasie-Impromptu in C-sharp Minor, op.66 "Andrea Lucchesini." I just prefer Polonaise no.6, op.53 "Heroic." :cool:

Maciamo
25-01-05, 16:48
Modest Petrovich Mussorgsky count?

I love his music.

:music:

Yes, Mussorsky counts. He is one of those I forgot among my favourite famous for one piece of music in particular.

Dream Time
25-01-05, 20:04
so Yngwie Malmsteen composed and played classical music with the electric guitar

sorry for taking up some space

http://www.yngwie.org/gallery/Yoko-Concerto/YG-concerto1.jpg
http://www.yngwie.org/gallery/Yoko-Concerto/YG-Concerto2.jpg
http://www.yngwie.org/gallery/Yoko-Concerto/YG_Concerto3.jpg

Shooter452
26-01-05, 05:21
I'm not sure what you mean by "know," but I know of all of them except for five. I like Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev, Mozart, J.S. Bach, Mendelssohn, Vivaldi, and Beethoven (I guess that's all of them). Of course, I haven't listened extensively to them all, but I like the Violin Concerto in E minor by Mendelssohn, the Winter movement of the Four Seasons (well, it's my favorite of them, anyway) by Vivaldi, Symphony No. 40 by Mozart (also my favorite), Symphony No.2 by Rachmaninoff, Sonata for violin and piano, No. 1 in F minor by Prokofiev, Bach's inventions as well as the Brandenburg Concertos and the Toccata and Fugue in D minor for organ (of course :-)), and Beethoven's "hits" (Symphonies No. 5 and 7, and Moonlight Sonata). I've heard some stuff by Handel and Haydn that I've liked, but I can't remember them. Also, I've been told to check out Brahms, but I haven't heard much of his stuff. Stravinsky's stuff seems really interesting, but serial music has always been a bit hard for me to swallow, although I find it much more enjoyable now than I used to.

Oh, Glenn! You left off one of the best from LvB: Symphony no. 9 in D minor op. 125. The second movement alone is unforgettable...it reminds me of an approaching thunderstom.

Also, let us not forget his Piano Concerto in E flat No5, Op73 "the Emperor" dedicated to N. Bonaparte (an early hero of old Ludwig).

I am a dedicated fan of the Man.

Alea iacta est

Glenn
26-01-05, 06:35
Well, I think of that one as the "Ode to Joy" Symphony, and I'm not very fond of that movement. But since you are so adamant about it I'll give it another shot. :-)

CC1
26-01-05, 09:48
I love Haendel and Tchaikovski. Actually when I was younger (and my fingers worked better) I played (or at least attempted) many of their pieces. Too bad my boys don't like the classics. They are more into Jazz...but still quite good none the less!

Shooter452
26-01-05, 17:49
Well, I think of that one as the "Ode to Joy" Symphony, and I'm not very fond of that movement. But since you are so adamant about it I'll give it another shot. :-)

It is and I understand. I am and you should. I hope you do enjoy it more!

Animus facit nobilem

miu
27-01-05, 16:14
I used to hate Bach when I still studied playing the piano but now I don't anymore - go figure. I think my favourites from the list are Saint-Saens, Debussy (definitely) and Bach. Also Vivaldi and Chopin are nice.

silver angel
31-01-05, 03:12
Haendel
Haydn
Mozart
Beethoven
Chopin
(Johann) Strauss
Holst
Tchaikovski
Debussy
Shostakovich
JS Bach
Pachelbel
I listen more to wind ensemble composers like Mark Camphouse, Percy Grainger, Gustav Holst and Alfred Reed, but I absolutely love Mozart. Turkish Rondo is one of the best of his works.

mizerable_d
31-01-05, 18:56
i dont listen much but i think Beethoven is very good.

Camui
01-02-05, 05:59
I've heard of a lot of these composers and their songs because I'm in my school orchestra..I play violin and I really like piano, but I never learned how to play..I really like classical music..and I also have to say that one of my favorite composers in Nobuo Uematsu ^^

Lina Inverse
05-02-05, 23:25
I know several of then at least by name, but I don't like Classic in General :D

Mycernius
28-05-06, 23:29
Every single one of them, but I am a classical music nut. I much prefer Baroque rather than the later romance. I am also fond of the Russian composers. One of my favourite pieces is the Finale music to Swan Lake. Put it on and turn up the volume. I defy anyone not to like this loud, emotional, powerful piece. From its quiet begining it just builds and build until the entire orchestra is going and finsihes in full forte with the brass at full volume as the final crashes to a dramatic end. Honestly I can feel exhausted after lsiening to it. Briiliant, absolutely love it.

Mars Man
29-05-06, 08:20
Those who music I can consciously recall having heard are the ones I voted for--some 10 or so. Although I do like classical music, I have not gone deeply into it in the sense of buying albums and CDs and such. I did play the piano and the violin in highschool--as well as trumpet in the band--and have known some from that. (after I moved to Arizona, my piano and violin skills and remembered songs faded slowly into history)

On the guitar, I simply don't do Classical nor Flemingo--I do easy listening, blues, and accoustic rock (or blues rock).

Revenant
29-05-06, 08:44
I only listed the composers whose music I would recognize and be able to attach the composers name to.

Vivaldi
Haendel
Mozart
Beethoven
Mendelssohn
Holst
Tchaikovski
JS Bach
Dvorak

Started out as a young kid taking a real liking to Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, and Mendelssohn.

Father had a Holst CD, something about planets, anyways it fit my interest in Sci-Fi while I was young.

Vivaldi and Bach, depending on the instruments and how it is arranged, are the only two composers that I enjoy listening every once in a while these days.

Minty
31-05-06, 01:27
I know Mozart, Beethoven, JS Bach and I have heard of Chopin and Stravinsky. I really like "The Chinese dance" in the Nutcracker's ballet; I wonder who compose this piece? :? Sorry I am not very familiar with classical music; my husband calls me a bush girl for this.:bawling:

No-name
31-05-06, 05:24
The Nutcracker Suite is by Tchaikovsky. In Walt Disney's Fantasia (1940) Little Chinese looking mushrooms did a dance to one of the movements.

My mother loves Mozart. Most of the "Classical" music I know is from a later period. So technically I have a deep fodness for the Romantics. From Shubert to Muzzursky... and a bit out of the classic era altogether Debussy, Stravinsky, Gershwin, and Copeland

Minty
01-06-06, 00:13
The Nutcracker Suite is by Tchaikovsky. In Walt Disney's Fantasia (1940) Little Chinese looking mushrooms did a dance to one of the movements.
My mother loves Mozart. Most of the "Classical" music I know is from a later period. So technically I have a deep fodness for the Romantics. From Shubert to Muzzursky... and a bit out of the classic era altogether Debussy, Stravinsky, Gershwin, and Copeland

Thanks sabro,:wave: Hmm I will go and look for the sound track of fantasia now!!

Mitsuo
01-06-06, 02:15
I just love Classical. It helps get rid of my headaches, and helps me think much more clear.

I found all the ones that I know of....and personally Mozart is my overall favorite.

Has anyone heard of Andre Rieu? He is awesome. Although, I think he just plays already composed songs. I don't know if he has composed any. hmmm?

Crazy Russian
09-11-06, 01:23
Oh, I love classical music! I am glad that so many people in the world love the Russian classical music. I love mostly Slavic composers.

My favourite composers are:

Tchaikovsky (especially The Nutcracker, The Swan Lake, Romeo & Juliet, The Seasons, Concerto Piano and Orchestra No.1 in B Flat Minor, etc.);

Rachmaninoff (especially Vocalise Op. 34, Symphony No.2 in E minor, Rhapsody on the Paganini Theme, etc.);

Mussorgsky;

Prokofiev;

Shostakovich;

Chopin;

Nietzsche (only piano compositions);

Bizet;

Chaliapin (he is a singer);

et cetera...

I know that Mr Koizumi loves Tchaikovsky. Thatfs great!!! :cool:

ricecake
09-11-06, 08:57
Tchaikovsky and Chopin,1812 was the best classical Tchaikovsky with sound of firing cannons.

Crazy Russian
09-11-06, 13:07
Every single one of them, but I am a classical music nut. I much prefer Baroque rather than the later romance. I am also fond of the Russian composers. One of my favourite pieces is the Finale music to Swan Lake. Put it on and turn up the volume. I defy anyone not to like this loud, emotional, powerful piece. From its quiet begining it just builds and build until the entire orchestra is going and finsihes in full forte with the brass at full volume as the final crashes to a dramatic end. Honestly I can feel exhausted after lsiening to it. Briiliant, absolutely love it.

Hi! :wave: Glad to meet the lover of Tchaikovsky music! Anyone who loves Tchaikovsky will be my friend. :) For me, Tchaikovsky is God of Music and the best what music has ever had. :bow:

Yeah, Scene Finale (Act IV) from The Swan Lake is brilliant! So inspired part! :yeahh:

My favourite parts of The Swan Lake:

Introduction;

The First Scene (Act I);

Valse (Act I);

Pas de deux. Tempo di valse, ma non troppo vivo, quasi moderato (Act I);

Danse des coupes (Act I);

Allegro moderato (Act II) (brilliant!!);

Pas dfaction (Act II);

Danse espagnole (brilliant!!);

Danse napolitaine;

Danse des petites cygnes.

But my favourite ballet is The Nutcracker. Those, who have never listened to it, necessarily listen to it. I am sure that you will fall in love with this masterpiece by Tchaikovsky.

My favourite parts of The Nutcracker:

Overture (brilliant!!);

The Decoration of the Christmas Tree;

March (brilliant!!);

The Magic Spell Begins;

The Battle;

In the Pine-Forest (brilliant!!);

Coffee: Arabian Dance;

Tea: Chinese Dance (brilliant!!);

Trepak: Russian Dance (brilliant!!!);

Dance of the Flutes (brilliant!!);

Waltz of the Flowers (brilliant!!!);

Pas de Deux: Dance of the Prince and the Sugar-Plum Fairy (absolutely brilliant!!!);

Variation II: Dance of the Sugar-Plum Fairy (brilliant!!!).

My eyes are always steeped in tears when listening to Pas de Deux: Dance of the Prince and the Sugar-Plum Fairy from The Nutcracker. So inspired thing!!!

I have almost all musical compositions by Tchaikovsky recorded mostly by The USSR State Symphony Orchestra (Conductor: Evgeny Svetlanov).

I cannot see the difference between tears and music.

Friedrich Nietzsche.

Kinsao
09-11-06, 14:32
I didn't notice this thread before. :souka:
I've heard of almost all of the composers listed, and I've played music by around 2/3 of them, possibly a bit more - but I couldn't honestly say I'd recognise the music of very many of them if I heard it on the radio. I might make a lucky guess. :(

Crazy Russian
14-11-06, 14:26
Tchaikovsky and Chopin,1812 was the best classical Tchaikovsky with sound of firing cannons.

By the way, have you listened to Ca Ira by Roger Waters? It is absolutely splendid work! :cool: :cool: :cool: I am sure that you will like it!

Supernova
01-07-08, 18:15
Hard choices....but I prefer on Vivaldi and Beethoven. ^^

Does Anyone here know the composer of "Liebestraum"? I like that song very much!

^ lynx ^
09-12-09, 20:30
Does Anyone here know the composer of "Liebestraum"? I like that song very much!

That was Franz Liszt.

I know 89-90% of the artist into the poll... and I would add: Joaquin Rodrigo, Manuel de Falla and Isaac AlbĂŠniz.

^ lynx ^
10-01-10, 03:21
Altought they aren't classical composers at all. I forget this was about classical music. :embarassed:

Yorkie
20-01-11, 21:35
I love the operas of Wagner and the symphonies of Bruckner, Beethoven, Brahms, Elgar, Vaughan-Williams, Sibelius and Mahler. I also particularly admire and enjoy the late string quartets of Beethoven, and the string quartets Mozart dedicated to 'Papa Haydn'. I am also beginning to realise just what an under-rated composer Richard Strauss was.

Reinaert
01-02-11, 20:05
I like Beethoven most.

Tchaikovsky Symphony 1812 is great!

I don't see Ravel in the list. But he has nice music too.
La Valse for instance is genial.

But I like most classical music, but not all.

Especially Wagner Opera's are a very hard nut to crack.
Wagner seems to have been busy to over class Beethoven, but never succeeded.

edao
16-03-11, 00:40
CHOPIN! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvm2ZsRv3C8):good_job:

Mzungu mchagga
16-03-11, 01:05
I'm missing Ravel and Smetana in the list.

barbarian
16-03-11, 23:42
I'm missing Ravel and Smetana in the list.
smetana is my favourite also.

cycle
20-07-11, 10:52
I like
Pachelbels - Cannon
Beethovens - Moonlight Sonata
Liszts - Hungarian Rhapsody
Ravels - Bolero
Vivaldis - Four Seasons
and quite a few other classical pieces.
I just like what I like - but no composer stands out as being the best.

caldera
22-07-11, 15:27
http://europeansforum.com

himagain
21-01-12, 20:50
Please note Katchaturian, Chausson, Liszt, Dvorak etc. Vincent D'Indy was a one work wonder, but I really love his Symphony on a French Mountain Air, Oh, and Darius Milhaud's Florida Suite is particularly good.

Michel Gilson
09-05-13, 21:29
It is a toss up between the Waltz King Johann Strauss II and J.S. Bach for my favorite composer. There are so many great composers to pick from. I think without question Bach, Beethoven and Mozart are in a class by themselves and then come all the rest. Personally I am partial to the waltz and hence my partiality for Strauss.

Thulean
17-11-13, 16:01
Apart from the easy listenning Baroque (Vivaldi, Bach...) and Classical (Mozart, Haydn...),

Excuse me Maciamo,
what do you mean by "easy listening" when referring to Johann Sebastian Bach? It's a pity if you're missing the tremendous logical and mathematical subtleties hidden beneath the Musikalische Opfer, the Kunst der Fuge or the Goldberg Variationen, just to name a few... Just to give you an idea, the sheer aesthetic beauty of his music is doubled on the rational side; I suggest you take a deeper look on the subject, no doubt you'll discover a treasure of wonders.

Thulean
17-11-13, 16:11
CHOPIN! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvm2ZsRv3C8):good_job:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix7xdAl-qVs
three ecossaises by chopin for an ecossais forum pal ;-)

Thulean
17-11-13, 18:02
Btw - can somebody please amend the spelling of Schubert (not Shubert) in the multiple choice poll?
Leave Mussorgski without a "g" if you want - but poor Schubert, so divinely genial and unfortunate, even with the spelling of his name...