Men with feminine faces more attractive, study says

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
BBC News : Feminine males 'more attractive'

Men with feminine faces will be luckier in love as most women are attracted to them rather than masculine men, Liverpool University scientists say.
While square-jawed men attract beautiful women, the less macho ones have a wider choice as their face type is more in demand.

Most women like a feminised face, but those who rated themselves attractive went for the classic masculine face.

Feminine faces tend to be linked with stability and caring, scientists said.

Several hundred students and staff at the university were shown a selection of computer-generated faces, manipulated to look either more masculine or feminine.

They were asked to judge what facial type they were most attracted to.
A second study showed that women seen with a dominant male were rated more attractive by other men.
Men who rated themselves as attractive preferred women with feminine facial features, such as a small nose and chin and large eyes, which are indicators of fertility.

Woud that mean that handsome men tend to be more attracted to Japanese (or East Asian) women because they are more feminine ? Equally, that let suppose that beautiful Japanese women prefer very virile men, and so more likely non-Asian ones (as in average Mongoloid have lower testosterone levels). Just interpreting the study. :p

What do you think about this ?

Last edited:
I think it's very interesting, but actually i had noticed this since a while just from girls saying oh he is so cuteee, and he is so cutee, and etc etc. But maybe some of the female members could englighten us a bit more on this matter.

That's interesting! I've never ever felt attracted to men with feminine faces. They put me off! Although I have noticed that some of my friends go out with "cute" guys. I guess it's something to do with the fact that many women have a very developed maternal instinct. Men with feminine features seem a bit vulnerable and in need of constant affection. Such men are less likely (in a woman's opinion) to be abusive and aggressive. They also seem more approachable.
There is also this theory suggesting that people with similar face features are often attracted to each other. I'm not too sure about that because I have a small nose and big eyes but usually go out with guys who have quite big noses, relatively small eyes and prominent jawlines.
It's all a matter of taste...Look at Brad Pitt. He doesn't have a feminine face but is considered to be the sexiest man on the planet.
As for me, I love masculine features!! Mel Gibson is perfect...

Dewberry said:
That's interesting! I've never ever felt attracted to men with feminine faces. They put me off!
Same here. I never understood the fuss about Leonardo DiCaprio when I was younger and only pretended to fancy him because everyone else did, too :blush:

I prefer a face that shows some personality... If someone's just pretty, it's just completely boring to me. I seem to be the only person who likes Nicole Kidman better with the nose she had in "The Hours" :clueless: :emblaugh: I just think that the nose makes the rest of her face look really graceful. Or maybe I just have a peculiar taste about things. :bluush:

Pretty boys just remind me of.. well... boys - not men. :souka:

.........Well I'm screwed if that's what the study shows.

Doc

I do not like "pretty boys" and never have. I do not like feminine facial features at all. I like a chiseled face. I like a stong, square jawline.

As for what that says about me, I don't know.

The only studies I trust are from Oxford. ^____^

Doc

I can hardly believe that, this is not my vision of masculinity and in talking with my friends I've had the opportunity to hear the opinions of women. I think the vision of masculinity differs a lot upon the age of the respondent.

What makes you think Japanese woman are more feminine ? I don't think so

I don't agree with your conclusions at all Maciamo. A lot of japanese teen idols tend to look very andogrinous.

ayabie_klein.jpg

60d67f5a5c4380_full.jpg

e38090specialalbum2cd2blp3.jpg

I seem to recall a TV report about this. They concluded that the female taste about males was linked with the menstrual cycle.

Greetings.

BBC News : Feminine males 'more attractive'

Woud that mean that handsome men tend to be more attracted to Japanese (or East Asian) women because they are more feminine ? Equally, that let suppose that beautiful Japanese women prefer very virile men, and so more likely non-Asian ones (as in average Mongoloid have lower testosterone levels). Just interpreting the study. :p

What do you think about this ?

Well nobody can really deny there is a phenomenon/significant demographic of Caucasian men who have a strong inclination towards Asian women. However Asian males are also probably least attractive to most women which would somewhat contradict this article.

I think I have a slightly feminine face & I think it's done me no favours. I've seen but ugly dudes being more successful with women then me & I'm left scratching my head. I think I disagree iwth this article.

Feminine looking men may be more attractive to pre-teen and teenage girls but not to adult women, I would say.

I noted there is an idiotic tendency among certain people to understanding that good looking=feminine. I actually think classic good looks among Caucasians are much more suitable to men than to women.
And I must admit, without false modesty, that Asian and Hispanic women tempt my masculine instincts more than most of Caucasian women, who are often 'manly' looking.

Here is a (perhaps very lousy) idea that came to my mind some while ago. I might be completely wrong but anyways still like to know what you might think about it.

I've noticed that the beauty ideal among men, as well as women, is more towards young than feminine. It might look as feminine on first glance. But a lot of men in entertainment and media tend to look into this direction:

-face masculine, but more adolescent than clear-cut
-body tall and distinctive muscles
-no beard or only sparse beard growth or stubbles
-no or only sparse body hair growth (also sparse pubic hair)
-voice more tenor than bass

(corresponds to a 16 to 19 year old guy)

for women the equivalent is:

-childlike face
-breasts and pelvis fully developed, but without exagerated fat disposure
-slim and tall
-only sparse pubic hair

(corresponds to a 14 to 18 year old girl)

Please note that not all beauty ideals tend into this direction, there are many variations, but there is a significant number of it. So how has it come that the beauty ideal of men and women nowadays corresponds to adolescents who are mature enough for reproduction but not fully grown up yet?
Could it be that the answer is over-aging of society? Usually society picks beauty ideals which it lacks most and which are urgently needed for reproduction. So if a large proportion of the population is underweight from famine and badly sun-taned from a lot of field work, people will pick healthy beauties who are... fat and pale. Take a look on the paintings of Rubens! Or on Renaissance paintings of wealthy merchants/humanists.
The trend towards very young looking beauties started in Japan with the Manga and Anime culture about 30 to 40 years ago, where the over-aging of the population started first. From then it spread to Europe and North America and continues today in Hollywood. And probably this beauty trend won't end until the second half of the 21st century, when the number of seniors in society declines again.
In other cultures however (people who know me know that I'm obsessed with comparing cultures. Sorry can't help it. Someone want to shoot me?:startled:), where youth and old age are still on a normal and traditional level, men are still masculine and women are voluptuous mamas :grin:

Last edited:
Here is a (perhaps very lousy) idea that came to my mind some while ago. I might be completely wrong but anyways still like to know what you might think about it.

I've noticed that the beauty ideal among men, as well as women, is more towards young than feminine. It might look as feminine on first glance. But a lot of men in entertainment and media tend to look into this direction:

-face masculine, but more adolescent than clear-cut
-body tall and distinctive muscles
-no beard or only sparse beard growth or stubbles
-no or only sparse body hair growth (also sparse pubic hair)
-voice more tenor than bass

(corresponds to a 16 to 19 year old guy)

for women the equivalent is:

-childlike face
-breasts and pelvis fully developed, but without exagerated fat disposure
-slim and tall
-only sparse pubic hair

(corresponds to a 14 to 18 year old girl)

Please note that not all beauty ideals tend into this direction, there are many variations, but there is a significant number of it. So how has it come that the beauty ideal of men and women nowadays corresponds to adolescents who are mature enough for reproduction but not fully grown up yet?
Could it be that the answer is over-aging of society? Usually society picks beauty ideals which it lacks most and which are urgently needed for reproduction. So if a large proportion of the population is underweight from famine and badly sun-taned from a lot of field work, people will pick healthy beauties who are... fat and pale. Take a look on the paintings of Rubens! Or on Renaissance paintings of wealthy merchants/humanists.
The trend towards very young looking beauties started in Japan with the Manga and Anime culture about 30 to 40 years ago, where the over-aging of the population started first. From then it spread to Europe and North America and continues today in Hollywood. And probably this beauty trend won't end until the second half of the 21st century, when the number of seniors in society declines again.
In other cultures however (people who know me know that I'm obsessed with comparing cultures. Sorry can't help it. Someone want to shoot me?:startled:), where youth and old age are still on a normal and traditional level, men are still masculine and women are voluptuous mamas :grin:

:unsure:Yeah, I think so too. In fact I think European men who go for Far Easterners or South East Asians are those who like very young looking women. For them it is like shagging a Teenager!

Personally I fall for guys that are absolutely masculine and have a very hard face, very angular and deep.

This thread has been viewed 19047 times.

Back