PDA

View Full Version : Are you gifted ?

Maciamo
04-03-05, 01:27
Characteristics of Gifted Adults

Perfectionistic and sets high standards for self and others.
Has strong moral convictions.
Is highly sensitive, perceptive or insightful.
Fascinated by words or an avid reader.
Feels out-of-sync with others.
Is very curious.
Has an unusual sense of humour.
A good problem solver.
Has a vivid and rich imagination.
Questions rules or authority.
Has unusual ideas or connects seemingly unrelated ideas.
Thrives on challenge.
Learns new things rapidly.
Has a good long-term memory.
Feels overwhelmed by many interests and abilities.
Is very compassionate.
Feels outrage at moral breaches that the rest of the world seems to take for granted.
Has passionate, intense feelings.
Has a great deal of energy.
Can't switch off thinking.
Feels driven by creativity.
Loves ideas and ardent discussion.
Needs periods of contemplation.
Searches for ???? in their life.
Feels a sense of alienation and loneliness.
Is very perceptive.
Feels out of step with others

If 75% of these characteristics fit you, you are probably a gifted adult.

Read this (pdf) article (pespmc1.vub.ac.be/Papers/GiftedProblems.pdf ) for more information.

TwistedMac
04-03-05, 01:52
For anyone that doesn't understand, I'll transscribe.

[QUOTE=Maciamo]Perfectionistic and sets high standards for self and others.
***** that will never accept you have done something better than him/her

Paragraph rider. Will cite the most obscure paragraphs from any rulebook and interprit them in a way that will make him/her right.

Whines about every little thing.

Grammar and spelling Nazi.

Can't get along with others because he/she always has to be right.

Is very curious.
Meddles in everyone else's affairs when he has never been asked to do so.

Has no sense of humour

A good problem solver.
Will grab the lego from his kid to "show him how it's done".

Lies like a Mexican having a pow-wow with immigrations.

Can never accept anyone else telling him/her what to do.

Has no string of thought nor any order to any thoughts.

Thrives on challenge.
Will always accept a challenge, then claim it was an unfair challenge to begin with when he fails.

Invents knowledge that is not there (ever had that uncle that pretends he knows everything about something, and when you get to a subject you know something about you realize he's just mumbling incoherent crap to make himself look smart?)

Will remember every damn little transgression you have made that has made her/him angry

Can never focus on one thing.

Is very compassionate.
Wants love but doesn't know how to get it.

Feels outrage at moral breaches that the rest of the world seems to take for granted.
Has nothing better to do than complain about the behaviour of others.

Is easily frustrated

Will always show up on the tennis court in the most embarrasing minimal tennis clothing showing off his/her skinny ass when you're trying to have a match with your friends.

Can't switch it on either.

But has no skills to let that creativity out with.

Just wont shut up.

Falls asleep in the middle of conversations.

????

Because noone likes him/her.

Is very perceptive.
Will spot the tiniest flaws on you so he/she can effectively nag on them

Is out of step with others.

Read this (pdf) article (pespmc1.vub.ac.be/Papers/GiftedProblems.pdf ) for more information.

Duo
04-03-05, 01:55
and all this time i was wondering what was wrong with me, but finally maciamo was able to shed some light into my dark self discovery, and to my outmost surprise i realize i am one of the few that makes this world such a special place

:blush: :blush:

Modesty aside, what to respond ? How does one say yes or no? I think I may somewhat gifted but I don't want to sound presumtous. Furthermore, each of us beleives that we are above the rest, so..... I guess we all feel a bit gifted. :souka:

Maciamo
04-03-05, 02:01
Duo,

Maybe you should try the IQ tests on this website (http://www.highiqsociety.org/noflash/nonmembers/iqtests.htm). If I remember well, they are reliable (not like everything you find on the Net).

If it appears that you are gifted, then why not try a more official Mensa (http://www.mensa.org/home.php) test ? (which you can of course sit in Belgium, or in most countries around the world).

Duo
04-03-05, 02:04
Thx, I'll give it a try, I've never been serious about things like this, and I don't really much care in reality, I won't think of myself as being better than the others if I happen to be a bit more intelligent or what not, yet still it's good to find out about one's abilities.

TwistedMac
04-03-05, 02:06
Weei! just got my first red dot in a while for this thread :wavey:

come on people, if you're not gonna write your names, atleast put a comment in there! be specific. What specific part about me bugs you?

The green dots are always so meticulously explained... :57:

Duo
04-03-05, 02:14
Ha, that happend to me a while ago, I even made a thread about it, but........ yeah, that didnt work out so well

Frank D. White
04-03-05, 02:40
of a gifted person as one who has something to offer the world to enjoy. Good art or music, for instance, can come from mentally challenged people.

Frank

:clueless:

TwistedMac
04-03-05, 02:44
of a gifted person as one who has something to offer the world to enjoy. Good art or music, for instance, can come from mentally challenged people.

Frank

:clueless:
I agree.
That's exactly what I feel. Anyone that just "feels different" may be smart or even a genious, but I'd say "gifted" goes to the definition frank mentioned.

lexico
04-03-05, 02:45
Francis Heylighen seems to have a very good sense of humour. This would make a nice article in Reaser's Digest. Basically it's telling you, cheer up! You may not be the most wonderful person, but at least you've got the spunk! :evil:

Weei! just got my first red dot in a while for this thread :wavey:

come on people, if you're not gonna write your names, atleast put a comment in there! be specific. What specific part about me bugs you?

The green dots are always so meticulously explained... :57:TwistedMac, I honestly think you are quite talented.=gifted. :happy:

[qutestion: Wasn't gifted used as a PC term for problem kids ????] :D

Doc
04-03-05, 02:53

Is very curious.
A good problem solver.
Thrives on challenge.
Is very compassionate.
Is very perceptive.

So that's why I'm so f***ed up! :relief: And I thought it was just because I was crazy! Well at least I know now I'm a gifted person in the world. :happy:

Doc

Glenn
04-03-05, 03:05
[qutestion: Wasn't gifted used as a PC term for problem kids ????] :D

I believe you're thinking of "special."

lexico
04-03-05, 03:12
Wasn't gifted used as a PC term for problem kids ????]
I know now I'm a speical person.
I believe you're thinking of "special."Well maybe. I was never clear on that.
Wasn't "special" for congenitally handicapped children ?
Or was it the other way around ?
Please define, Glenn, in natural usage and PC usage. (sorry, I'm asking a lot :relief: )
1) gifted child
2) special child
3) talented child
4) problem child

Doc
04-03-05, 03:14
I believe you're thinking of "special."

There's a difference? :? :souka: :o

Doc

Glenn
04-03-05, 03:21
I thought so.

1) A creative child, good with arts.
2) Euphamism for retarded child.
3) A child who is good at picking things up, i.e. a quick learner.
4) A child who won't behave.

These are my definitions based on my experience; I'm not sure how similar or different they are from others'.

lexico
04-03-05, 03:23
Thank you, Glenn, twice today!! You're the greatest!! :wave:

edit: Nice move, Doc! Way to go! :D

Brooker
04-03-05, 03:24
Aah, I already knew I was gifted. :-) I wish everyone was. Some people are just lame. :-)

Doc
I thought so.

1) A creative child, good with arts.
2) Euphamism for retarded child.
3) A child who is good at picking things up, i.e. a quick learner.
4) A child who won't behave.

These are my definitions based on my experience; I'm not sure how similar or different they are from others'.

Dude I was just being a smart ass. :p

Doc

Maciamo

That could also refer to giftedness, but I was thinking about this definition (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gifted), especially the IQ-related part (so not artistic or sport giftedness).

Doc
04-03-05, 03:26
Aah, I already knew I was gifted. :-) I wish everyone was. Some people are just lame. :-)

Too bad America ranks the highest with stupid people. I wonder what we should do with them? Make them run a rat maze?

Doc

Maciamo
04-03-05, 03:41
This article (The OUtsiders) (http://www.prometheussociety.org/articles/Outsiders.html) about a profoundly gifted man (William James Sidis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_James_Sidis)) and the "side-effects" of very high IQ is a classic, and I recommend it to anyone interested in the subject.

Glenn
04-03-05, 04:22
That was an interesting read. The story about William James Sidis seemed pretty incredulous, though. It's hard to believe that someone could be so smart. In a way, the article reminded me of the Too Many Aptitudes (http://www.polymath-systems.com/intel/hiqsocs/megasoc/noes138/aptitude.html) problem.

Brooker
04-03-05, 04:35
Too bad America ranks the highest with stupid people. I wonder what we should do with them? Make them run a rat maze?

Doc

Let's make them president. :D

lexico
04-03-05, 04:36
I find it quite ironic that human kind characterized by its ability to handle the two types of tasks of symbolic reasoning (language, communication) and quantitative reasoning should have excercised negative selection on its members endowed with positive abilites in these two axies.

I think the formation of large societies in human (pre)history may have been the beginning of this negative selection of the upper extremes as well as the lower extremes, resulting in a constant or leveled state of intelligence capacities.

For small groups of serveral tens to several hundreds, these exceptionally bright members were valuable resources that often held the key to survival when faced with a major technical challenge. As larger alliances began to bundle together a number of these small bands of people, the scarcity of highly intelligent members disappeared.

Hence no special treament was necessary to keep the majority of them within the in-group. Only a handful of them could provide all the solutions they needed. In this regard the highly gifted individuals were naturally (socially to be exact) left out in the elements to wither as human history went on its course of progress.

Doc
04-03-05, 05:17

Nah, we already did that. How about religious groups?

Doc

ashuri2
04-03-05, 06:05
twistedmac: your version is the more accurate one, i think. i know many 'gifted' people.

when i was younger, we used to sing this song:
i don't wanna grow up
i'm a special ed kid
my sister dropped me on my head,
and look what it did!
i'm a gifted kid!

we even had a special bus, us 'gifted' youngsters. ironically, the special ed students who were mentally retarded als used the same sort of special bus. we were teased for that when we were younger.

Maciamo
04-03-05, 06:38
That was an interesting read. The story about William James Sidis seemed pretty incredulous, though. It's hard to believe that someone could be so smart. In a way, the article reminded me of the Too Many Aptitudes (http://www.polymath-systems.com/intel/hiqsocs/megasoc/noes138/aptitude.html) problem.

Thanks for the link. Now I know that I am a TMA bearer too. And not just a bit... :yeahh: :(

Not all TMAs are unsuccessful. TMAs seem to function best at frontiers--intellectual, social or physical. These are the places where learning and doing are the same thing. They can operate well at interfaces between different parts of society--liaison and translation. They often do well as troubleshooters, innovators or problem solvers, in research or investigation, and in product or method development. They also seem to do quite well in situations like the Alamo, fighting long odds and staving off the inevitable.

So that's why I am in Japan then. :relief:

Shooter452
04-03-05, 16:53
No. I refuse the nomination.

If I am good at anything it is because I have been doing it for a very long time and competance tends to come with repetition. I have no natural latent abilities of which I am aware.

I admit that there are occasional Mozarts out there in the world. I am not one of them. I suspect that there are few-if-any here on the Forum. They do not pop up every day. For the rest of us, it is not a gift that gets us first chair in the orchestra, it is practice, practice, practice.

Labor omnia vincit

Mycernius
04-03-05, 19:20
Of course I'm gifted, I'm English (enough said) :-)
We just let the rest of the world feel better than us. In other words were all smug ba$tard$.
I'm not a spelling nazi, and as for special, I've seen T-shirts for sale in this country that have on them "I'm special, because my social worker say's so"
(Or hould that be social wank*r) :blush: :wave:

TwistedMac
05-03-05, 00:06
Speaking of the british being smug, I love the supposed headline of some newspaper or other in England.. "fog in the English channel, continent completely isolated"

Frank D. White
05-03-05, 00:14
The only time I'm gifted is Christmas, and then it's only ol socks and underwear!

Crazy Ol Guy

:blush:

Mycernius
05-03-05, 00:14
Speaking of the british being smug, I love the supposed headline of some newspaper or other in England.. "fog in the English channel, continent completely isolated"
I can't see a problem with that :-)

dreamer
05-03-05, 22:45
Hum...I'm definetly not gifted ^^
The only traits that'd fit me are these ones:

Is very compassionate.

Forgotten
06-03-05, 05:07

I almost spewed coffee on my monitor. Thanks Brooker, for making me laugh.

zeroyon
04-05-05, 11:43
If i was "gifted" in anything, it would be my sporadic idiocy and terrible luck.

Vinc3ntV
04-05-05, 20:08
Gifted...? Uh, well, I can sense when a spirit is around but that's as special as I get. :P

SirJeannot
06-05-05, 01:00
74%, just on the edge, as usual :sorry:

Shas
07-05-05, 17:05
Is very curious.
A good problem solver.
Is very compassionate.
Is very perceptive.

well these apply to me but maybe im just a very thoughtful & creative person

because my academic skills (memorizing/math etc) are not outstanding in any way :))

miu
09-05-05, 13:19
About 70% of them applied to me, so I suppose I'm not too gifted either ^^; Just like Shas said, I'm just probably a thoughtful and creative person... I suck in math, too >_< I can be a really curious person, though. In both senses of the word :P

Kinsao
12-05-05, 15:17
Hahahahaha!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

All of the things on the list apply to me. But I'm not in the least bit gifted. :(

Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read on the internet... :okashii:

Wish I *was* gifted, though... In reality, someone with all the characteristics on the list is just plain damn irritating! :p :p

Revenant
29-05-05, 16:42
There's a fifty percent chance half of those apply to me, so I'd say the only one that is certain, is I can't switch off thinking.

I'd have to say I'm not gifted, but I already knew that from the ownings I take in some debates, and the in-awe feeling I get when I read some others posts on the net. There are a couple awfully clever people in almost every forum I visit.

mynimal
29-05-05, 17:00
Holy crap. And I'm only 13. :souka:

Is very curious.
A good problem solver.
Is very compassionate.
Is very perceptive.

And no I'm not emo. :D

alexriversan
29-05-05, 20:11
Has strong moral convictions. HELLO MR. SAVAGE. YOU HAVE READ WRONG IDEAS.
Is highly sensitive, perceptive or insightful. NOTHING SPECIAL
Fascinated by words or an avid reader. INSANE (except new word).*
Feels out-of-sync with others. INSANE
Is very curious. INSANE
Has an unusual sense of humour. FUNNY/UNCANNY?
A good problem solver. WITHOUT PROBLEM?
Has a vivid and rich imagination. CONNECTED TO REALITY?
Feels overwhelmed by many interests and abilities. INSANE
Is very compassionate. INSANE
Feels outrage at moral breaches that the rest of the world seems to take for granted. HELLO MR. SAVAGE
Has passionate, intense feelings. NORMAL
Can't switch off thinking. OBSESSED
Feels driven by creativity. NORMAL
Loves ideas and ardent discussion. OBSESSION IF ALL DAY
Needs periods of contemplation. NOT UNCOMMON
Searches for ???? in their life. NOT UNUSUAL
Feels a sense of alienation and loneliness. WITH/WITHOUT REASON?
Is very perceptive. NOT UNUSUAL
Feels out of step with others INSANE

now, if you read INSANE/MR. SAVAGE, and it applies to you- you should seek help today.**

i am not an expert, but extended these symptoms by my psychological knowledge.

if you read NOT UNUSUAL: dont mind, if its just one of these things.

a world just of bricklayer's does not work out, and who knows about their sensitivity.

i would extend the list

DO YOU CONSUME REGULARILY, AT EVERY OCCASION? -> GOOD
DO YOU HAVE THE IDEA YOU MUST SAVE MONEY? -> NOT GOOD
DO YOU READILY CRITICIZE CINEMA MOVIES -> NOT GOOD

now, if you reply to my reply, please answer:

DO YOU CONSUME REGULARILY, AT EVERY OCCASION?
DO YOU HAVE THE IDEA YOU MUST SAVE MONEY?
DO YOU READILY CRITICIZE CINEMA MOVIES?

if you buy IRON MAIDEN CD'S, you can figure out who MR. SAVAGE is.

*Marked by keen interest and enthusiasm: an avid sports fan. NOT INSANE.

**means recognized as "insane" by majority of people. if these things occur in a volume, which exceeds what occurs as common. i.e. if one thinks all day long- recognized as "intellectual".

sometimes such a case occurs as combination of more than one symptom.

the avid reader, cant stop thinking, over-compassionate with world politics, outraged about moral issues not affecting own life, discussing easily/all day, over-imagination towards seeing things other people do not see (in the literal sense: hallucinating)

now i figured out, the pdf document contains "smart alec". now, getting affected by that means TO THINK IN IDENTITIES WHERE NO IDENTITIES ARE

and, highly creative people "can synthesize correctly".
my IQ occurs as below 100... means i am not really gifted.

Sensuikan San
30-05-05, 00:51
Has a great deal of energy.?

That's the one that got me !

(Yawn...!)

Other than that .... why aren't I earning more? :confused:

W

InnerVision
01-06-05, 00:02
I'm Not.

(1 2 3 4 5 ..... >>> lengthening the messsage to 10 characters :D)

Invictus_88
27-12-09, 23:21

[snip]

Correction.

The characteristic is only one; a person who has been assessed by a qualified educational psychologist and found to have a very high IQ.

The specific IQ seem to very by jurisdiction, but would - I imagine - always be somewhere in the top three percent or so.

himagain
31-10-11, 04:43
I'm a card carrying gifted person. I'm a life member of American Mensa and a full member of International Society For
Philosophical Enquiry (ISPE). My tested IQ is just above the third standard deviation above the mean at the 99.991th
percentile.

My Myers-Briggs type is INTP.

I am not "better" than you, but I don't know how to be anyway other than I am. Nature/Nurture dealt me this gifted
card. The fact that most people have expectations of what/how I should know/be causes me to SOMETIMES feel more
cursed by my IQ than gifted.

Remember, I'm not better than you. I'm just a guy who enjoys beer and conversation. Since we can't share a brew
face-to-face here, lets just respectfully engage each other in a good chat now and then.

MrKappa
20-03-13, 23:31
I was labeled gifted as a child and I soon lost that label through my own choice. I kept insisting on my removal from special classes and courses.

As in an Adult, it makes very little difference in my life, actually, it makes a significant difference, how others choose to label me as I choose not to label myself with anything concrete, for lacks of better terms.

Eldritch
22-03-13, 01:38
As a kid i was considered gifted.
Had an IQ test adminstered and the result was 144 if i'm not wrong.

nordicwarbler
22-03-13, 16:04
For anyone that doesn't understand, I'll transscribe.

[QUOTE=Maciamo]Characteristics of Gifted Adults

***** that will never accept you have done something better than him/her

Paragraph rider. Will cite the most obscure paragraphs from any rulebook and interprit them in a way that will make him/her right.

Whines about every little thing.

Grammar and spelling Nazi.

Can't get along with others because he/she always has to be right.

Meddles in everyone else's affairs when he has never been asked to do so.

Has no sense of humour

Will grab the lego from his kid to "show him how it's done".

Lies like a Mexican having a pow-wow with immigrations.

Can never accept anyone else telling him/her what to do.

Has no string of thought nor any order to any thoughts.

Will always accept a challenge, then claim it was an unfair challenge to begin with when he fails.

Invents knowledge that is not there (ever had that uncle that pretends he knows everything about something, and when you get to a subject you know something about you realize he's just mumbling incoherent crap to make himself look smart?)

Will remember every damn little transgression you have made that has made her/him angry

Can never focus on one thing.

Wants love but doesn't know how to get it.

Has nothing better to do than complain about the behaviour of others.

Is easily frustrated

Will always show up on the tennis court in the most embarrasing minimal tennis clothing showing off his/her skinny ass when you're trying to have a match with your friends.

Can't switch it on either.

But has no skills to let that creativity out with.

Just wont shut up.

Falls asleep in the middle of conversations.

????

Because noone likes him/her.

Will spot the tiniest flaws on you so he/she can effectively nag on them

Is out of step with others.

Wow, I'm gifted, but unfortunately only according to TwistedMac's version.

This guy is a true talent-- has he been posting lately?

Jackson
22-03-13, 18:59
Stuff sounds very familiar. Always got sent on 'gifted and talented' things growing up as a kid, and my language/writing skills are very good when i care about it. We used to have spelling tests at school, never needed to revise at all and would always get them all or almost all right. Still, why does there need to be a category? Surely as an adult it's what people do that should be important, potential is useless if its not being used so it might as well not be there. There's probably plenty of gifted people working in jobs far below their ability, but it would be very difficult to retrain them and get them to use their full potential en masse.

Cambrius (The Red)
27-03-13, 04:14
Some say I am. I feel pretty ordinary, actually.

Tiffany01
12-06-14, 22:11
My guess is I don't need to read all that,, My simple answer is Yes I am gifted