Question What (outstanding) aptitudes do you have ?

What are your aptitudes ? (read explanation below and choose)

• Total voters

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
Here is a summary of the aptitudes from the Johnson O?fConnor Aptitude Testing Program. Which of them best suit you ? Usual people have 4 or 5 dominant ones. People with more than that may be diagnosed as TMA ("too many aptitudes"), which is not always a good thing.

Graphoria: Clerical ability, or adeptness at paperwork and dealing with figures and symbols. Useful in accounting, banking, bookkeeping, insurance, and secretarial work.

Color Perception and Color Discrimination: The ability to distinguish red-green colors; the ability to distinguish fine variations in color. Useful in the productions of paints and fabrics, interior decoration, and the visual arts.

Ideaphoria: The ability to rapidly produce a flow of ideas. Useful in sales, journalism, advertising, and teaching.

Inductive Reasoning: The ability to reason from the particular to the general, to form a logical conclusion from scattered facts. Useful in research, psychology, and diagnostic medicine.

Analytical Reasoning: The ability to organize concepts or to arrange ideas in logical sequence. Useful in editing and computer programming.

Numerical aptitudes: The ability to use numerical information in solving problems and to perform arithmetic operations. Useful in financial analysis, economics, accounting, and bookkeeping.

Structural Visualization: The ability to visualize the structure of three-dimensional forms. Useful in architecture, engineering, medicine and geology.

Music aptitudes: The abilities to remember rhythms and tone sequences, and to distinguish between fine differences in pitch. Useful in dancing, playing musical instruments, and learning foreign languages.

Memory aptitudes: The abilities to remember two-dimensional designs (useful in photography and architecture) or numbers (useful in remembering phone numbers and addresses); to learn new words (useful in learning vocabulary and foreign languages); to spot and remember visual details (useful in inspection and detective work).

Finger Dexterity: A quickness and accuracy in delicate finger work. Useful for surgeons, file clerks, and factory operations.

Tweezer Dexterity: The ability to work with small tools. Useful in dental hygiene and watchmaking.

Grip: The amount of force that can be applied with the hands. Useful for firefighters and police officers, it seems to reflect nervous energy or drive for active work settings.

Vocabulary: In addition to aptitudes, our program also measures your knowledge of English and mathematics vocabulary. This knowledge of words is crucial to success in higher education.

Johnson O?fConnor Aptitude Testing Program says, "Learn how knowing about your aptitude pattern can make a difference between happiness and dissatisfaction in your career and life."

I finally learn that I can make watches and be happy, yeah! :)

none for me XD
I'm just a slowpoke who doesn't seem to be fit to anything...

I had six, which works for me..
These were..

Inductive Reasoning
Analytical Reasoning
Music Aptitudes
Structural Visualization
Memory aptitudes
Vocabulary

But I was also slightly surprised to see "Grip" as an aptitude..

Vunde

I can hold my breath under water for 7 minutes.

Really.

Mal said:
I can hold my breath under water for 7 minutes.

Really.
Really ? I used to play that game with a friend. I think we did upto 2'30" or 3', but not underwater. The body knows how to adjust by training, but doesn't it damage the brain cells after 5 minutes without oxygen ?
Anerobic ATP cycles aren't that good for you. Then how did you get so brainy ? You're not kidding, are you ? :?

I think ideaphoria, color perception and discrimination and music aptitudes suit me the best. And vocabulary, of course, but I think that was something in addition to the aptitudes...?

Numerical aptitudes are something that I definitely don't have! :blush:

lexico said:
Really ? I used to play that game with a friend. I think we did upto 2'30" or 3', but not underwater. The body knows how to adjust by training, but doesn't it damage the brain cells after 5 minutes without oxygen ?
Anerobic ATP cycles aren't that good for you. Then how did you get so brainy ? You're not kidding, are you ? :?

That's actually my best time from a static position (face down in the water). Usually I come in around 6 minutes or so. I haven't done it personally since I was in the swim team in college so I am probably out of practice :)

But people can hold their breath for a very long time without brain damage of any sort if they practice and have good lung capacity. Generally men are better at this than women are (we tend to have larger lungs and um.. well more blood to hold oxygen), but the womans record is still pretty darn respectable, definately past the 6 minute mark last time I heard.

It just requires some training and technique really, pretty much anyone can do past 4 minutes or so once they master the basics.

Ah here we go, the mens and womens current records for static apnea:

Tom Sietas (Germany) 8'58"
Lotta Ericson (Sweden) 6'31"

Amazing huh?

I used to be able to swim about 100m or so underwater holding my breath and without any fins. I think the record for that is somewhere around 160m or 170m. With fins some guys can swim about 200m or so!

Not Much To Offer Of Use ?

For some reason I've always been good at shooting. Since I hate competition, I just go to a sand-pit and plink away. Not a very useful aptitude, but fun.

Frank

:blush:

Six hunnert clams?

I do not need to know that badly! Not for $600!

Since the application of my life is pretty much a done-deal, it will benefit me not to find out neither! But for those who have nothing better to do with their money, and who want to know (and to be able to brag about) their previously-unknown-latent-abilities, I suppose this would not be a total waste of time and resources.

I am being pretty harsh about this. Perhaps--even likely--there is a higher purpose to this that I am so lightly glossing with my cynicism. I merely question the whole premise. If so, I ask the forgiveness and forbearance of the Forum for my bad attitude. I do not think it is likely that such "testing" will reveal the presence of a Mozart amongst us, even if he exists, and I do see the potential for harm in all of this ego-flexing that seems to accompany such an evaluation process. But for those of you who think that this is worthy, I cast no aspersion.

I do not see myself as being "gifted" in the usual evaluations. While I have taken IQ and GCT tests over the years, I have never been overly impressed by the results of such testing. Even if/when I was tested and if/when my results were impressive, I refuse to be impressed.

Besides, 500 years from now, when we are all dust, you may be surprised how insignificant the results of our lives have been, let alone the testing. I suspect that many of us see ourselves as being well above the median and are most supportive of such testing when the old ego gets stroked. It would be highly disappointing to learn that the impact we make in history is the same as the hole left in a bucket of water when we remove our hand from the bucket.

Cum recte vivis, ne cures verba malorum.

I managed to get (an honest ...) 9 on the poll - presumably I'm ... sort of ... psychotic .... ?

Many years ago, I also used to be able to hold my breath (after hyperventilating)for 3' 45" (swimming .. in cool water..) - whilst smoking a pack a day ( although keeping the cigarette going in cool water was damned hard !)

..... I also once ate 5 "Big Macs" with fries ... at one sitting ! (I was ill, later....!)

I've also survived being married to the same lady for 38 years - my greatest accomplishment (and hers !)

Regards,

?W????

im the finger dexterity, tinkering, picking nose drawing sculpting fine tweezer stuff idea flow kind of guy :)))

my parents allways smiley because i am so big but draw small pictures or sculpt small things :D

Well, I work as a Personnel Clerk for the federal government, so I guess I'm the Graphoria type. Hey! Call me anything you want as long as I get paid every two weeks!
:D

far too many aptitudes even to get an interview.
"our courses are for unqualified candidates only"

arachnotude
a sympathy for spiders and cobweb. useful for people with a moth/fly problem.

rodentiatude
if rats like you: you are at least not alone.

trickortreatitude
halloween all day, useful for not getting employed by christs.

add these terms to next cv

I got: music, memory, finger dexterity, tweezer dexterity, vocabulary and structural visualisation (primarily), and to a certain extent ideaphoria, analytical reasoning and GRIP!!! (although I think that last might come from playing guitar since I was practically big enough to hold one, lol; I have strong hands :))

Fits in with my general hobbies/likings - art (my professional background, hehe!), making/mending small things, music, and languages. Always had a scarily large vocabulary as a kid, according to my parents, who had to keep something of a tight rein :D

I have recently learned I am famous for posting on the internet.

This thread has been viewed 20573 times.

Back