Debate Q1: If you were to die tomorrow, would you (honestly) be able to say that you would die happy?

smoke

Read It And Weep
Reaction score
Late last night...or rather, early this morning whilst staring at my screen and at this forum i found a lot of 'philosopical' questions ran through my head.
I thought it would be good to share them here, as it was here that i thought of them.
i thought about posting one a day or one a week, depending on the response. Of course, if nobody wants to answer the question then i wouldn't waste everyone's time with numerous other questions.

So here goes:

"If you were to die tomorrow, would you (honestly) be able to say that you would die happy?"

Hell noooooooo, so many things I want to do before I go, like at least leave a child behind, fullfill my obligations to my family, but i would be satisfied that I had a good life so far, I can't complain....... but I'd rather not go at all ;)

Duo said:
....... but I'd rather not go at all ;)
thanks for your post...
would you really want to live forever? and see your children grow old and die? see the world change, possibly for the worse?
i don't think i could handle living forever...but that doesn't mean i'm ready to pop my cork just yet!

Hummmm, I Guess..........

it would depend on who I was making mad passionate love to when I passed away!

Frank

:blush:

hehehe, i wondered who would bring up 'dying whilst having sex'.
your reputation proceeds you Mr White.

I Have To Admit......

even at a young 55, I'm ready to go. I spend a lot of time around death in my job and it holds no fear for me. When I go it will be with a smile!

Frank

Frank D. White said:
even at a young 55, I'm ready to go. I spend a lot of time around death in my job and it holds no fear for me. When I go it will be with a smile!
may i enquie what line of work you are in?

i never understand fearing death...i mean, it is inevitable.
i can understand why people would be concerned when faced with death (not in an immediate sense...ie: when someone is holding a gun to your head...i think i'd be 'concerned' then) but, for example, you knew you were going to die in a few months...personally i'd be concerned with things that i hadn't done or achieved...i am one to regret things i haven't done rather than things i have.

For the last 10 years.......

smoke said:

I've been taking care of sick elderly men in their own homes. Most want to stay home to die, not go to a nurseing home or hospital. I help them bathe, dress, eat, take them places in the car in they can get out. I'm with most of them several months to a year or more. When they pass away, I move on to a new patient. You get to pretty much be your own boss and you become a part of the man's family so to speak. In my 40 years of various jobs, this is the most rewarding by far; wish I had found it sooner.

CNA/HHA/Hospice

Frank

I could live with it...

Or die with it as the case may be.

I've done a lot with my life. I have had a family; sired three children who are all functioning adults; fought desperately in a losing cause; made passionate love to wonderful women--none of them my wife, who passed on some time ago; put some really bad people in jail--most also into prisons; I've driven fast cars; risked my life unnecessarily, several times; won lots of money in a poker game--lost more; seen the Pacific from both shores; been SCUBA diving; survived a gun fight, several times (and there is only one way to survive a gun fight...either you die, or the other guy does); gone to college; seen Robert Bolt's a Man for all Seasons both on the live stage and the screen; seen our legal system work; seen our legal system fail--in person for both occasions; known many great close friends; saved a few lives and had my own saved; avoided ever becoming wealthy--assuming that wealth, like power, corrupts; drank great beer; drank great wine; served my country faithfully. I have not become a published author, which is my secret dream.

All in all, I have had a good life. If it had to end tomorrow, I would not go happily, but I would not go kicking and screaming, either. I have always wanted to greet Death with some dignity. I think I could at this point, but I would love to be an author first. A writer is different from an author in that the latter is paid for his efforts. Money is not important, except as a way to keep score.

Sic transit gloria mundi

Would I be happy?
-No.

What would I do?
-Give the world the finger.

Why would I do that?
-Because at least I wouldn't have to deal with people anymore.

Doc:smoke:

How can I die happily? Too many dreams havn't been realized yet. Once there was a question on another forum: what's the most fearful thing of yours? My answer is: to die suddenly.

No.

I am much younger than most on this site, therefore, my opinion will be different. I do not want to leave at this time because I have so much left to do. People I could help, books I could write, people I could meet, places I could go, you get the picture. There are too many things I have to do, wrongs I have to right, and rights I have to wrong. Also, I want to be an ancient European history teacher. I need to finsh some things that I have begun and begin some things that have yet to be done.

In short, I need to do quite a bit before I die and I would bemost dissatisfied if I were die tomorrow.

smoke said:

i never understand fearing death...i mean, it is inevitable.
i can understand why people would be concerned when faced with death (not in an immediate sense...ie: when someone is holding a gun to your head...i think i'd be 'concerned' then) but, for example, you knew you were going to die in a few months...personally i'd be concerned with things that i hadn't done or achieved...i am one to regret things i haven't done rather than things i have.
This is basically my view on it as well. There are a few very difficult and time consuming things I have left to do, which will take years rather than months -- so if the question is would I be satisfied knowing death is around the corner, then not particularly. If it happens totally unawares, on the other hand, such as while sleeping or instantaneously in an accident, it doesn't make sense even to talk about feelings or emotion in the afterlife or where anyone believes we are.

And not only is death inevitable which sounds a little depressing, but of course it is totally necessary for any kind of life on this planet to continue. In a sense, we owe it to future generations not to stick around forever. It'll be interesting to see 'reverse/anti-aging' technology will be handled, should researchers ever develop an immortality drug and let it and become widespread.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did,
NOT screaming like the people in his car.

(I couldn't pass that one up.)

Honestly, it all depends. I'd hate to die after winning the lottery, but I wouldn't mind dying if I was hit by a bus and being eaten alive by dogs.

I was thinking of writing the stoic way of dying. That is, if I am not attatched, and having nothing to lose, then why regret? At least the bad things wouldn't keep happening, and I wouldn't know it if it did.

I asked the doctor the other day, "What is the easiest way to die ? How can I prepare for that ? I would hate to drag on after I become an invalid. After my functional days are over, I prefer to die quickly."

"Excercise will greatly enhance your chances of a quick and easy death. If you get a stroke, you might drag on. Try to die of a heart attack." ...I'm off topic, sorry. I would be angry that I haven't finished my reading, haven't even started on those that just arrived. And the threads that I have great hopes for. Actually the unfinished stuff would be the cause of my great anger and regret. But rest assured, if I know I'm going, and have access to a PC hooked up, I will say good-by toall. :)

@Mad Pierrot: You have a very romantic idea of death. It reminds of the Stranger who wanted his execution ground to be populous and clamorous, with lots of sunlight, dust, and commotion.

Asking that question is important in remembering what is truely important in life. Would I be happy? I simply try to remember what's important in life, things like family, friends, and doing things to benefit others. I live from moment to moment, cause happiness is found in the moment. That's not to say I do anything that would jeopardize the future.

I wouldn't die happy, I'm dying course I wouldn't. And once I'm dead I'd be really pi$$ed off. I'd make a lousy dead person. A grumpy ghost. Mind you give me time to get back at poeple that I didn't like when I was alive. :)

This thread has been viewed 17047 times.

Back