Wearing shoes inside your home: hot or not?

miu

Reaction score
Ethnic group
^^;
I went to visit a friend the other day and was kind of shocked when he said I didn't have to take off my shoes
once we got inside. He's not Finnish but in Finland, like in Japan, you almost always take off your shoes once you enter someone's home.
So you can maybe understand why I say I was shocked :blush: We have a long winter with snow and slush so it makes
sense to take off your shoes - it's more hygienic. Also, we always have carpets so keeping the carpets clean is easier
when you take off your outside shoes... And I wouldn't want to wear shoes all the time either. It's better for my feet
to take them off ^^; The only time you might consider not taking your shoes off is when you go to a more formal party in the summer. But that probably
goes mostly for women and high heels. :relief:

To be honest, I think I would still continue making people take off their shoes even if I moved to a country where people usually don't do that :blush:

What's your oppinion/customary in your country? Do you wear take your shoes off when you go to someone's house or not? Do you think it's something you should do?

Unshoeing in Korea

We always take shoes off when visiting, because that's what we do at home.
We have four seasons, Just like Japan or the rest of the world in the temperate zone, but the summer Monsoon and the winter-spring Gobi sandstorms made our housing rather unique.

The living room is elevated from the foundation by 2-3 feet, and the bedrooms have floor heating. The traditional bedroom floors are covered with fine hemp-paper stained and varnished to a shining finish. All meant to be kept clear of dust and stains at all times. This clean space is best apprciated without outdoor shoes. The traditional socks are quite thick and beutiful, but staying barefoot is also possible.

The semi-modern bldgs of the early 20th century such as school bldgs used to have wooden floors which make it a little dangerous to walk around barefoot or with socks only. Not being hard wood, one could easily get splinters in one's foot, Ouch ! So wearing indoor shoes was the standard, but if you lost them, you'd have to tiptoe around for one precarious day.

Of course doing and undoing the shoe is bothersome, but we're used to it. Some people change into slippers, but it's not so popular. Speaking of slippers, the best I've seen were the ones in Germany. Leather slippers were excellent. It would seem some Germans also liked to keep the indoors shoeless.

Funny habits die hard: Going to school in the US, I would keep my shoes outside my door while I lived in the university run student housing which was a military estblishment during WWII. When I needed some repair work done on the house, the service person would try to simply walk in to the house. I said, "Would you please take you shoes off ?" The guy seemed a little surprised and answered, "Well, I'd like to do that, but I'm not allowed." I never got to ask him why, not to sound confrontational, so I still wonder to this day. Why ?

From California: I just started getting lazy and wearing my shoes indoors. It's winter, and it takes a lot more time to put on and take off boots. I also have started wearing orthodics due to plantar fasciitis- and walking barefoot is painful. We have wooden stairs and you see a lot more grit. No one else wears them so I guess I should sweep the steps.

In the words of Osaka (azumanga): "what if someone steps in dogpoo without noticing and walks in.. then the father does too.. and the mother..."

What's the point of wearing shoes indoors? is it really so cold in your house that you have to drag in dirt from the outside?

miu said:
To be honest, I think I would still continue making people take off their shoes even if I moved to a country where people usually don't do that :blush:

What's your oppinion/customary in your country? Do you wear take your shoes off when you go to someone's house or not? Do you think it's something you should do?
When I was on Okinawa, I followed the custom--when in Rome, you do as the Romans. I had no difficulty with the practice and it became second nature. When I came home at night to the barracks, I removed my boondockers and left them just inside the door for my housekeeper to shine--my best boots I never allowed to be shined by anyone but myself, since no one on Okinawa produced a better spit-shine than I could.

Upon my return back to the Land of the Big PX, I discontinued the practice in a few months. The only reason that I could give you was that my room on Okinawa had a shoe rack by the door. My home here did not.

If you want others to leave their foot gear by the door, give them a place to leave their brogans. Make sure yours on there, along with the other occupants of the house.

I have never been to a traditional Japanese home where that was not the case.

Andere Länder; andere Sitten

That last is for Lina and bossel. See? Not all of your efforts are in vain.
*chuckle*

Japanese homes have "genkan"--the space just inside the front door where you take off your shoes before stepping up and inside. This reminds people to take off the shoes.

Even kids in school have separate shoes for outdoors and indoors.

I take mine off when I come home.

I have a genkan on the ground level with a couple of chairs, but no geta bako. Problem is (short version...) we are getting water on the floor this wet winter. (Like about 3cm of spring water.) So I have been wearing my shoes upstairs. (oooooo)

I grew up in a country house with stone/tile flooring (with floor heating), which is easy to clean with water, so we could keep our shoes (although rarely upstairs, where there is carpet flooring or parquet in most rooms). Anyway, the house was completely cleaned once or twice a week, except the parquet rooms which dont need waxing that often.

There were families in my village were people must take off their shoes before entering, so it is really case by case, unlike Japan.

One sure thing is that in most families it is unacceptable to enter a house with dirty shoes (eg. after the rain). There is always a doormat or rug to wipe out one's shoes, but that's only when the shoes are not so dirty.

Leroy_Brown said:
Japanese homes have "genkan"--the space just inside the front door where you take off your shoes before stepping up and inside. This reminds people to take off the shoes.

So what ? Most Europeans houses too. It's called an entrance hall.

TwistedMac said:
In the words of Osaka (azumanga): "what if someone steps in dogpoo without noticing and walks in.. then the father does too.. and the mother..."

Who couldn't notice that ? What about the smell and marks left on the doormat ?

What's the point of wearing shoes indoors? is it really so cold in your house that you have to drag in dirt from the outside?

I was also wondering before coming to Japan. It's only 3 months I use slippers because I got bad "shimoyake" ("forst bite", well it doesn't freeze, but it looks the same) for the first time in my life just by staying inmy house in Tokyo. The insulation is inexistant and the A/C heating doesn't reach the feet (as warm air rises, and A/C are already above one's head). Or maybe is it during the night ? Anyway, I was used to live in a well-insulated house with floor and central heating, where the temperature was kept at a constant 20'C day and night all year round. In Japan, we can really feel how cold it is outside by just getting out of bed the morning. If you can see your breath, you'd better wear warm clothes. Living in a Japanese house is a bit like camping, temperature-wise.

Maciamo said:
It's only 3 months I use slippers because I got bad "shimoyake" ("forst bite", well it doesn't freeze, but it looks the same) for the first time in my life just by staying inmy house in Tokyo. The insulation is inexistant and the A/C heating doesn't reach the feet (as warm air rises, and A/C are already above one's head). Or maybe is it during the night ?
I wasn't crazy about those A/C heating either. The room gets very dry with that on. I much prefer the radiators.

My feet get cold easily, too; I don't know if they still have those, but I used to use a heated pillow under my feet at night when I was a child. That kept my feet warm, but I woke up with a sore throat from using it.

Maciamo said:
So what ? Most Europeans houses too. It's called an entrance hall.

I was just about to point out that we have a sort of genkan, too... The type of the entrance hall depends on what kind of house you live in but I would say that all Finnish houses have somekind of an entrance hall and its main purpose is to store outdoor clothing, shoes and stop dirt and cold air from coming inside to the house.

miu said:
all Finnish houses have somekind of an entrance hall and its main purpose is to store outdoor clothing, shoes and stop dirt and cold air from coming inside to the house.
We have that, too. It has its own sliding door which acts like an air lock. It serves as an insulation area where temperature differences with the outdoors and the indoors aren't that great. This entrance hall is called hyon-guan here.

The only time I really had to remove my shoes inside someone's home was because they didn't want their carpet to get messed up.

I wear my shoes indoors whenever I feel like it. And if I'm downstairs where the dog pisses everywhere, wearing no shoes is not an option.

I take my shoes off all the time. I do have a pair of slippers for indoors because in the winter it gets very cold (-20, -30) and my feet seem to freeze very easily. But in the summer nobody wears shoes indoors and just slippers in the winter.

I also always take my shoes off when entering homes....especially mine!! :)

I take my shoes off on a rug by the front door and wear slippers inside. Most of the people who come to my house knows that I don't wear shoes inside, and they happily take theirs off, but some people are not used to it and keep their shoes on, which I really don't care.

I would rather feel rude to make people do unfamiliar things. I'm not sure how one feels about sharing slippers, so we don't provide them to guests, but I don't know, maybe I should since it is not very warm where I live...

i think it's an asian thing. Yup it applies to Hmong's too. but lately they stopped ... :?

This thread has been viewed 31449 times.

Back