Fatland Europe?

thomas

Unswerving bicyclist
Reaction score
I have just finished an eye-opening book entitled "Fatland - How Americans Became the Fattest People in the World" by Greg Critser. Critser basically expands on why the obesity rate in the US soared from 25% in the 70s to 61% (!) nowadays: Americans eat more (they finish no matter how large portions are) and exercise less as a result of the food industry's "supersizing". In particular the rate of child obesity - and related - Type 2 diabetes is quite alarming. It seems that in the 80s a lot of public schools started to rely on fast food chains to provide school lunch. Demographically, being fat seems to be directly related to income: the poor become the fattest.

Anyhow, an excellent book I recommend.
0618380604.01._PE25_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

=> http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/0618380604/japanreferenc-22/102-7829407-1001755

Hoooooowever, it appears that some European countries are fast gaining ground in terms of obesity. Last Thursday the Japan Times (sorry, no online version available) reported that the proportion of overweight or obese men is higher in some European countries than in the US. Finland, Germany, Greece, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Malta have exceeded the US's 67% in overweight or obese males.

Some numbers:

Percentage of adults obese or overweight

Men

Greece 78,6%
Germany 75,4%
Czech Rep. 73,2%
Cyprus 72,6%
Slovakia 69,0%

US 67,0%

Women

Greece 74,7%
Malta 67,0%
Germany 58,9%
Cyprus 58,0%
Czech Rep. 57,6%

US 57,0%

8% of the current health care costs in the EU can be attributed to the effects of obesity. The International Obesity Task Force (IOTF) estimates that among the EU's 103 million youngsters the number of overweight children rises by 400.000 each year! More than 30% of children between 7 and 11 years of age are overweight in Italy, Portugal, Spain and Malta. The IOTF states for example that Spain's classical diet of fish, olive oil and fruits has developed into a diet full of meat, high-fat food and sugar during the past 20 years.

Bon appetit! :ramen:

Last edited:
So, it isn't just the US. Interesting.

thomas said:
Demographically, being fat seems to be directly related to income: the poorer become the fattest.

This makes a lot of sense to me. After all, I sometimes go a while eating only two Jumbo Jacks from Jack in the Box because it only costs $2.16 after tax. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a cheaper meal that will fill you up.

"Fatland--How Americans Became the People in the World" Good book I must say. :cool: But how is it possible for some European countries to have do deal with obesity? What kind of food are they eating? :clueless:

thomas said:
Finland, Germany, Greece, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Malta have exceeded the US's 67% in overweight or obese males.
I don't know where the Japan Times got the numbers from, but according to the German Federal Bureau of Statistics (Statistisches Bundesamt), German obesity is not worse than the US one.

German figures of BMI (Body Mass Index):

<18.5 (underfed?): 0,9% of the population
<25 (normal): 41,4%
<30 (overweight): 44,1%
>30 (obese): 13,6%

Compared with the US overall figure of 65% for obesity & overweight combined, by the NCHS, the German figures are still lower. The figures for obesity alone are even considerably higher in the US: an estimated 31%!

Another question is, whether a BMI of 25-30 is really that bad. I suppose, it very much depends on the individual constitution.
But, yeah, the situation is getting worse in Europe, too. The current trends in youth culture are not really encouraging.

bossel said:
I don't know where the Japan Times got the numbers from, but according to the German Federal Bureau of Statistics (Statistisches Bundesamt), German obesity is not worse than the US one.
According to the article these numbers were provided by the IOTF. The IOTF is a charity collaborating with the International Association for the Study of Obesity and the WHO.

German figures of BMI (Body Mass Index):

<18.5 (underfed?): 0,9% of the population
<25 (normal): 41,4%
<30 (overweight): 44,1%
>30 (obese): 13,6%
Bad enough. :)

Another question is, whether a BMI of 25-30 is really that bad. I suppose, it very much depends on the individual constitution.
Even on an individual level, too much body fat is just too much. There must be a reason the WHO calls obesity a "global epidemic".

Quotes:

"Overall between 30% and 40% of all cases of cancer - three to four million cases worldwide every year - could be prevented by better diets, more physical activity and maintenance of appropriate body weight."
=> http://www.iotf.org/cancer/index.html

"Obesity is a significant contributory factor in coronary heart disease, along with an inappropriate diet and physical activity."
=> http://www.iotf.org/heart/index.html

The correlation of obesity and diabetes has already been mentioned. More info
=> http://www.iotf.org/diabetes/index.htm

Links:

Defining Overweight and Obesity
=> http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/defining.htm

BMI resources
=> http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/index.htm

U.S. Obesity Trends 1985–2003
=> http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/obesity/trend/maps/index.htm

Trends in Child Obesity in the U.K.
=> http://www.iotf.org/childhood/index.html

Anyhow, I do not intend to argue about numbers and figures. What I originally wanted to point out is that Europe is no longer a trendsetter in terms of healthy lifestyle. Europe is getting fat, too.

Ma Cherie said:
But how is it possible for some European countries to have do deal with obesity? What kind of food are they eating? :clueless:

The found can be very different from one country to the next. I remember eating Eisbein in Germany, which is almost only a big piece fat from pork legs.

It's no wonder that the country Thomas listed are related (in 2 groups) : Germany and Czech Rep are neighbours, while Greece and Cyprus are almost the same country, and Malta is quite similar culturally too.

I think that France and Italy have some of the lowest obesity levels in Europe.

thomas said:
According to the article these numbers were provided by the IOTF. The IOTF is a charity collaborating with the International Association for the Study of Obesity and the WHO.
Funny, though, I looked at this webpage before I posted my response & the mother organisation of the IOTF, the IASO has an annual review with a world map, which also shows the US on a higher obesity level than Germany, & Europe in general.

Even on an individual level, too much body fat is just too much. There must be a reason the WHO calls obesity a "global epidemic".
Heyheyhey, I'm not defending obesity. Actually, I hate it & could never understand why people, if they are not ill, could deform their body in such a way.
There is also no question that obesity is unhealthy. What I doubt, though, is that low overweight levels are that bad. Maybe there is a slight growth in health risks, but probably not so much more than by living in a city, or eating too many sweets (as I do), or eating 1 or 2 eggs every day.

Anyhow, I do not intend to argue about numbers and figures. What I originally wanted to point out is that Europe is no longer a trendsetter in terms of healthy lifestyle. Europe is getting fat, too.
No doubt about that. & with the current trend in eg. German schools, which tend to axe PE lessons for lack of money, it won't get much better.
But I wonder whether Europe ever was an example in regards of a healthy lifestyle. Maybe some parts of the Mediterranean (though probably not Greece) did rather well.

I think, what really is changing, is the part of society that is gaining weight. Just like in the US, the poor are growing fat. & I honestly don't know, how this trend should be stopped. Government programmes & prohibition of advertisements probably won't help. Education might do, but everybody already knows that obesity can be dangerous. :?

What about lifestyle? I know lifestyle effects diet to a degree. Are Europeans working alot more? What's going on? :? I don't think it's just less income that's causing the increase in obesity.

Ma Cherie said:
What about lifestyle? I know lifestyle effects diet to a degree. Are Europeans working alot more? What's going on? :? I don't think it's just less income that's causing the increase in obesity.

It's also a matter of education. People in some countries (including Japan) do care a lot about what they eat, check the vitamins, calories, try to eat balanced, avoid bad cholesterol, avoid GM's, etc.

Considering that the US has the highest poverty rate of any developed country (over 12% of the population according to official stats), and that the quality of the US education system depends a lot on how rich one is, that could partly explain why so many people in the States don't care much about what they eat.

I don't think Europeans work more or exercice more than Americans on average, It may even be the opposite (I see American people as sport-obssessed). I am not sure it has to do with quantities either. I eat probably as much as an average American (maybe even more!) but just don't get fat, with very little exercice. Maybe it is because I think a lot, and that most of the energy consumed by the body is used by the brain. :p Or because I eat more balanced and more healthy food (wholegrain cereals every morning, and I only eat Kellog's, so not all American food is bad :p ).

That is true Mac, people who live in poverty in the US according to some research are more likely to suffer from health problems such as heart disease and things like that. Yes, I do believe that income and education can play a role and along with other factors. And also Mac, you pointed out that France and Italy have the lowest obesity levels. I don't know about Italy, but I do think that the reason why France has a low obesity level is that (french women in particular) care a lot about body image. Possibly more than most women in other countries I would say. But then I could be wrong. :p

Maciamo said:
I eat probably as much as an average American (maybe even more!) but just don't get fat, with very little exercice. Maybe it is because I think a lot, and that most of the energy consumed by the body is used by the brain.

Are you serious? That seems hard to believe, but I am known to be quite the eater, and I weigh less than almost anyone else my size I've ever met by 20-30 lbs. I don't know that I think that much, though. This is the first I've ever heard of that.

Maciamo said:
I eat probably as much as an average American (maybe even more!) but just don't get fat, with very little exercice. Maybe it is because I think a lot, and that most of the energy consumed by the body is used by the brain. :p
That's quite true, Mac. Even the average human brain is supposed to consume 50 % of all bloodflow, glucose, and oxygen, while 25% of all bodily heat losss occurs at the head. ;)
My figures are a bit mushy, so feel free to correct me.
Glenn said:
That seems hard to believe, but I am known to be quite the eater, and I weigh less than almost anyone else my size I've ever met by 20-30 lbs. I don't know that I think that much, though.
It happens to me. I eat like a horse, and gain no weight at all. My full meal would usually amount to 2-3 times that of the average adult with the result that everyone is amazed at my Gargantuan appetite. I tell them, "I'm the human form of a Porsche or Ferrari, and the engine's in the head." And the way your brain works is no less than Mac's or mine, so there you go ! ;)
We'll continue the program after this short message. *~upbeat grundge music played by Bloody Brooker~*
Maciamo said:
I eat more balanced and more healthy food...wholegrain cereals every morning, and I only eat Kellog's :gohan: :haihai: :ramen: :cool: :genji:
The preceding message was brought to you by Kellogg's Foods International. *~more grunge music~* :bikkuri:

Last edited:
I think that France and Italy have some of the lowest obesity levels in Europe.
I couldn't find the Japan Times article either, but according to an NHK report from Naples last Thursday, something over 1/3rd (36% ?) of Italian kids, particularly concentrated in the south, are considered overweight and top the charts with the highest BMI values in Europe.

The french people are indeed the slimmest in Europe. However their numbers also are up compared to just a few years ago.

Glenn said:
So, it isn't just the US. Interesting.

This makes a lot of sense to me. After all, I sometimes go a while eating only two Jumbo Jacks from Jack in the Box because it only costs $2.16 after tax. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a cheaper meal that will fill you up.
They must just be a little over 99 cents each now ? Still a good deal for sure, although I prefer their tacos :) and never really considered forum members having to skimp on their meals. :clueless:

Glenn said:
They're listed as being 99 cents on the menu. I think our sales tax is 8.5%. Were they cheaper before that?
No, the one I ordered in California a few years ago that clocked in a little over a dollar (1.01 ?) must have been either a limited or temporary price increase. And there haven't been any more bad meat cases recently, plus Indiana's sales tax is around 6% so I really should be taking advantage of them again. :relief:

plus Indiana's sales tax is around 6% so I really should be taking advantage of them again.

Oh my, you're in Indiana. So tell us, how are the 1950's? I wasn't alive to experience them the first time around. :D

How poorly people eat makes me feel puzzled. I think the problem is a lot of people are not interested in cooking their meals anymore, and there are so many substitutes, ready to eat meals they can buy in a box out there.

My boss is a so-called health consious wannabe but can't really do it person; she talks about how the detergent is hurting environment or shampoo is very toxic, blur blur blur while she eats and feeds her kids canned meat products or chips.

This thread has been viewed 31740 times.

Back