What do you know about Denmark?

Miss_apollo7

Cat lover
Reaction score
Ethnic group
I am from YOKOHAMA,Japan!!
Member Kama has influenced me with his question about what you guys know about Poland.

Well, I am also curious to know what you guys know about Denmark; as I am 50% Danish (and 50% Japanese) and it is the country where I currently reside. :) :)

danish girls like beer!

EDIT: huh? somebody gave me a negative rating for that post ... whats wrong with it? i didnt mean to be offensive -.-

maybe it was to short o_O

the gate to every little boys heaven in denmark :D legoland :D

they changed it since the last time ive been there (bout 8 years ago :lol: )
http://www.happybeagle.com/images/europe/denmark/legoland/front-gate.jpg

Last edited:
Alrighty, let's start. Denmark is the southernmost Scandinavian country, with a population of about 5 million. It is made up of the Jutland peninsula and numerous island, on the biggest of which is the capital, Copenhagen (Koebenhavn in Danish).

Between the 9th and 11th centuries, Danish Vikings invaded most of Western Europe as far as North Africa, were the only invaders to take Paris since Franks and until the Germans in 1940. A group of those Vikings invaded Northern England and created the so-called "Danelaw". Some Danish kings became king of England, e.g. Canute the Great in the early 11th century. Another group of Danes were granted the land of Normandy by the king of France, and later invaded England, and the descendants of those Danes are still on the throne of England (and with the intermarriages, all European monarchies) nowadays. The Danes ruled over the south of Italy for about 100 years (and left their genes in the local population, so that there are still blue-eyed Sicilians nowadays).

Denmark later ruled over all Scandinavia (Sweden, Norway, Faroe Islands, Iceland, Greenland), and still retain their sovereignty over the Faroe Islands an Greenland.

Many Danish people nowadays have surnames ending in "-sen" (eg. Andersen, Nielsen, Rasmusen...). Denmark, like Sweden and Norway, has a disproportionately high number of Nobel prize winners and Olympic medals (both summer and winter). Although Denmrk is a EU member, it still uses the Crown instead of the Euro, like other Scandinavian countries.

Denmark is a very egalitarian society, and women enjoy more equality with men than in almost any other country (except maybe Sweden and Norway).

Danish language is a North Germanic language, descedning from Old Norse.

Famous Danish companies include Lego and Bang & Olufsen. Denmark also has the highest rate of strikes in the world.

i know about the seamermin, Lego land, bridge with sweden, uuuh nice girls, uuuh euro songfestival,,

uuh thats about it.. ( im sorry ..... i feel ashame)

Danish people are like Swedish, but takes easier on life and just has a good time. Thats how most swedes think danes are anyway, but i don't know if it's true. :)

And i know first hand that Danish isn't a very pretty language...

sgt. Pepper said:
Danish people are like Swedish, but takes easier on life and just has a good time. Thats how most swedes think danes are anyway, but i don't know if it's true. :)

I agree that Danish is not a pretty language.....it is also difficult language to pronounce......

sgt. Pepper said:

Why ? Is it too similar to Swedish ? :D

Maciamo said:
Why ? Is it too similar to Swedish ? :D

Meh! That was mean. :)

It is kind of similar, we share some words even if they can mean other things in danish than in swedish. But it's pretty damn hard for a swede to know what a dane is talking about (and vice verca i guess, even tough swedish is such a clear and understandable language ;) )

To me Denmark means Carlsberg and Jan Molby.

jovial_jon said:
To me Denmark means Carlsberg and Jan Molby.

Beer and football.....of course, you are British!!!:D

Shas said:
the gate to every little boys heaven in denmark :D legoland :D
[/url]
shas - girls also goes to legoland :p

denmark for me is (beside my love legoland :) ) is hans christian andersen, royal family (maybe not as famous as british but also well-known), per kirkeby - really good artist, my fave director - lars von trier and mermaid in copenhagen (in poland is also a mermaid in capitol - thats why i remember it),

also know anette olesen, gabriel axel and soren jacobsen - i think they are danish directors

and as i suppose kierkegard was also "denmark product", same as niels bohr - one of the greatest scientist and tycho brache - famous astronome

Christiania

And the fact that Denmark is nowadays a very racist country. Alot of people emigrate to Sweden every year, mostly because they are married with a non-danish person and they won't get civil rights. There was an investigating TV show in Sweden about this a few months ago and the response a woman got from the Danish authorities when they refused to give any rights to her "imported" husband they just said "You should have married a Danish". :eek:kashii:

joel.lindgren said:
Christiania

And the fact that Denmark is nowadays a very racist country. Alot of people emigrate to Sweden every year, mostly because they are married with a non-danish person and they won't get civil rights. There was an investigating TV show in Sweden about this a few months ago and the response a woman got from the Danish authorities when they refused to give any rights to her "imported" husband they just said "You should have married a Danish". :eek:kashii:

True that the Danish government has a very strict immigration law, due to a very right-wing political party which has become powerful, sadly.

But this doesn't mean that all us Danes are that way.....

I didn't say you were ^_^
I don't like to blaim government policies on it's citizens (Although we should be blaimed for not not stopping them). But the last years Danish immigration laws are semi-nazi and I don't like it one bit.

I think that Denmarks immigration laws are too strict, but ours are too loose. We take in tons of immigrants and then they move to places and **** stuff up. We should be a little stricter (we should'nt take in more immigrants than we can handle) and Denmark should be looser.

This thread has been viewed 18866 times.

Back